garymack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garymack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Increasing game time to more than 20mins

Hi lads, Back in August 2012 I decided to go back to playing Rugby after a 10 year absence, in that space of time I had gained around 70lbs due to very little or no exercise.

I'm 8 months back now and have lost 30lbs, I'm feeling much better and the training is getting easier (I missed pre-season so have been playing catchup all season)........I train twice a week and play staurdays, but the fitness is not coming fast enough.

The problem I have right now is I struggle to last anything more than 20mins before I am blowing out of my hoop

realistically I would like to be playing the full 80mins..........or 60mins atleast by Christmas.

so I'm asking, what would be the best routine/drills that I could do in my own time to increase my levels of fitness
    Last edited by garymack; 04-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm guessing you're a forward, because backs don't do that much work

You'll have no trouble getting into shape by Christmas if you work at it.

Are you in-season at the moment?

XNibiru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XNibiru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don't know much about this issue.

garymack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garymack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    I'm guessing you're a forward, because backs don't do that much work

You'll have no trouble getting into shape by Christmas if you work at it.

Are you in-season at the moment?
    Yes mate, In-season at the moment.......we only have 2 play-off games to go though then we are done.

and also correct........playing loose head prop, I was a centre when I first played so it has taken some time to get used to the new position.

10 times more work rate is needed now due to having to get to the breakdown.........

we do some fitness at training, but I'm needing to do personnel stuff to help me progress

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Congratulations on the promotion.

Our old fullback joined me in the second grade second row this year. He's got the same problem with the work rate, but he's so quick.

I'm assuming you don't need to concentrate on your speed training and that it can just be part of your conditioning.

In the off-season, I recommend lifting if you're not already. There are plenty of 3 and 4 day programs that suit.

As far as conditioning, work the components separately at the start of the off-season and bring them together in the pre-season. This means do some longer distance running and sprints. Maybe 2 days running (2.4 / 3.2km) and 1-2 days sprinting. As you get fitter, cut the longer stuff back to the point you're running once a week (or twice a month) and doing the sprint work with shorter intervals 3-4 times per week.

You can add prowler, scrum sled or car pushes or use them in place of a couple of those workouts - especially as you get closer to the season.

Early in the off-season, it doesn't really matter how you get your cardio. If you want to lay off the runnng a little and use a bike, that's OK. Better yet, a rowing machine.

My speed and strength are all fine (but being quicker and stronger wouldn't be a bad thing), as you've said its the workrate thats getting me.

Will start this in a few weeks after the season has ended and hopefully be playing a whole game or close to it by mid season

Thanks for the help