I understand that many of you have probably answered a few of these questions before, but my questionnaire was well thought-out and your responses will truly pay huge dividends for me. I am very granular when it comes to weight training and hope to maximize my potential. Please look at the questions listed below and respond to as many as you can handle. I appreciate it! (Jason)
1. Does each body part that will be focused on need to be warmed up via a specific exercise that specifically targets it? If so,how many sets and reps for each one?
2. On Power days, how many minutes on average should be allotted for rest in between sets? Layne basically says to begin when you feel fully recuperated.
3. What should the rep tempo be for both the Power and Hypertrophy days?
4. His directions on going to failure are a bit ambiguous to me. Once acclimated to the routine, how often should I go to failure and should failure apply to both the Power and Hypertrophy days or only the Power Day?
5. Layne endorses regular Deadlifts in his article and videos. Have any of you switched out an exercise to put them into the website’s routine and on what day, rep range, sets, etc?
6. I noticed on various websites that Layne has routines that are different than the one currently posted on the Simply Shredded website. Which one is the best?
7. Is there a nutrition plan that accompanies the routine?
8. I have never performed Rack Chins before and noticed that they are listed after pull ups on the Power Day for Back. Isn’t this like performing the same exercise consecutively? Please elaborate.
9. I noticed that Layne does not include any Barbell work for Chest. Have you found this to hinder or improve your physique/strength levels?
10. On Power Days, for example, some exercises call for 2 sets of 6-10 reps. Should I aim for 9-10 reps, 8-9, 7-8 or 6-7? Similarly, on the Hypertrophy days, side laterals are instructed to be performed for 3 sets of 12-20 reps. What should the rep range be closest to?
11. Layne suggests rotating Power movements every few weeks. Have you done this and do you switch up his routines periodically or stay with the same one for at least 8 weeks?
12. I noticed that there is no forearm work. Do you feel that there is a need to incorporate it and if so, what would the routine look like?
13. For the hypertrophy pulling movement on day for, Layne gives an option to perform DB Rows or Shrugs (Makes no sense to me). Which exercise should I perform?