lallers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Working towards Spartan Race

TL;DR
    A Spartan Race is being held in my state near the end of the year. My ultimate goal is to compete, do well, and finish the race. I'm not a complete novice in the fitness realm but I (Just like most people) could still use a lot of help from the knowledgeable people in these forums. I've started running, just to get back in the rhythm. I have experience with Kris Gethin's Transformation, which I followed strictly and had decent success with for strength. However, I don't recognize any of the workouts on bodybuilding.com as being suitable for my goal of participating in the spartan race. I'm probably completely wrong, hence the help needed!

My apologies if this isn't in the proper section either. I'm more than willing to move it or have it moved if need be.

Stats of myself:
    264 lbs.
    30+% Bodyfat (I don't have an accurate measurement to date)
    6'

My initial strategy is to run until i'm able to run at least 2 miles using HIT without breaking and doing workouts with body weight (bench dips, squats, ect.) I don't have the extra funds at the moment for the gym. That will come in another month or two.

A little history for anyone wondering:
    About 18 months ago I was in the gym an staying in decent shape. I got motivated about 8 months prior when I hit the 300lb mark. It became my goal to drop to ~200lbs and ~10% bodyfat, while increasing my strength. My daily regiment went very well until I was suddenly let go from work. At my best shape, I was 205lbs, 16-20% bodyfatm and stronger than ever. Confidence was through the roof and I achieved quite a few life "firsts". I had never felt better. After losing my job and enduring other stressful situations back to back, I fell into a mild depression and I completely stopped doing everything good for myself. Didn't eat right, didn't work out, I didn't even spend time with my friends because of my extremely low confidence that developed.

I've since dug my way back out and know what I want in life again. I remember what made me happy. I first stared working out to compete with myself in Tough Mudder. I never got to achieve that and I want it even more now.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lose weight and do lots of bodyweight pushups and pullups. Its not as tough as wannabees make it out to be.

illgrillchill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there,

Eerily enough we have very similar backgrounds: Was about 300 and lost about 100 pounds, tore my ACL, MCL & meniscus and after rehabbing did a Spartan Race, so I absolutely know what you're going through.

My philosophy towards training was building up your strength and cardiovascular activity. Also, work on endurance; didn't realize how much I needed it until half way through the race.

Biggest piece of advice would be to subscribe to the Workout of the Day; it is pretty much a helper to train for the races. Just google spartan race WOD (I can't upload links for some reason)

Hope this helps, and if you need more help feel free to ask.

Originally Posted by lallers View Post
    TL;DR
    A Spartan Race is being held in my state near the end of the year. My ultimate goal is to compete, do well, and finish the race. I'm not a complete novice in the fitness realm but I (Just like most people) could still use a lot of help from the knowledgeable people in these forums. I've started running, just to get back in the rhythm. I have experience with Kris Gethin's Transformation, which I followed strictly and had decent success with for strength. However, I don't recognize any of the workouts on bodybuilding.com as being suitable for my goal of participating in the spartan race. I'm probably completely wrong, hence the help needed!

My apologies if this isn't in the proper section either. I'm more than willing to move it or have it moved if need be.

Stats of myself:
    264 lbs.
    30+% Bodyfat (I don't have an accurate measurement to date)
    6'

My initial strategy is to run until i'm able to run at least 2 miles using HIT without breaking and doing workouts with body weight (bench dips, squats, ect.) I don't have the extra funds at the moment for the gym. That will come in another month or two.

A little history for anyone wondering:
    About 18 months ago I was in the gym an staying in decent shape. I got motivated about 8 months prior when I hit the 300lb mark. It became my goal to drop to ~200lbs and ~10% bodyfat, while increasing my strength. My daily regiment went very well until I was suddenly let go from work. At my best shape, I was 205lbs, 16-20% bodyfatm and stronger than ever. Confidence was through the roof and I achieved quite a few life "firsts". I had never felt better. After losing my job and enduring other stressful situations back to back, I fell into a mild depression and I completely stopped doing everything good for myself. Didn't eat right, didn't work out, I didn't even spend time with my friends because of my extremely low confidence that developed.

I've since dug my way back out and know what I want in life again. I remember what made me happy. I first stared working out to compete with myself in Tough Mudder. I never got to achieve that and I want it even more now.

lallers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Will definitely be doing pushups and pull-ups (when I get the strength again)

Great, thank you very much. I'm now subscribed to the WOD. The endurance part is definitely why I feel the workouts here aren't tailored to this sort of training.

I appreciate all the help!