akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Possible to see results while on a deficit on 5x5?

I'm starting to StrongLifts 5x5 on Monday, but I have about 80lbs to lose. I'm on a 300 calorie deficit, while doing cardio 6 days a week for 60 mins. So, is it possible to see strength and muscle gains on the 5x5 while dieting?

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if you are a beginner you can make strength gains. Also bump your deficit up to about 1000, if you truly have 80 pounds to lose, it will take you 40 weeks losing 2 pounds a week to lose that 80, or 134 weeks in a 300 calorie deficit. All that cardio is especially a waste (6 hours a week) if you are only in a 300 calorie deficit since cardio doesnt get rid of fat.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akaDrago has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Okay, so my current BMR is around 2700, give or take. So if I consume about 1700 a day, and do 30 minutes of cardio a day, it will be better?

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    if you are a beginner you can make strength gains. Also bump your deficit up to about 1000, if you truly have 80 pounds to lose, it will take you 40 weeks losing 2 pounds a week to lose that 80, or 134 weeks in a 300 calorie deficit. All that cardio is especially a waste (6 hours a week) if you are only in a 300 calorie deficit since cardio doesnt get rid of fat.
    Strength gains can come regardless if one is a beginner or not (yes they would have it easier). And obviously leaner folks would have to be careful not to create a huge deficit. Upping frequency, and then playing with volume and intensity seems to be key imo.

caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caldave28 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My opinion is that if you are doing 60 minutes of cardio a day you should not have a 1000 calorie deficit. When I have done that in the past I can't control my hunger and end up binging at night.

I think stronglifts 5x5 is a great way to loose weight and gain muscle. Some people on the forums will say you can't gain muscle and loose weight at the same time. I think that is bogus, especially for heavy people and beginners. I did 5x5 and watched what I ate. I gained a lot of strength, lost some weight, and my waist size shrunk.

Just stay consistent and if you have a bad day - get back on the horse.

Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Android1125 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think 300 cal deficit is a perfect start. Remember, for fat loss you want a relative caloric deficit (300-500 cals). I'd also say keep the cardio at 30 mins like 4 times a week to start with and increase from there when progress stalls. Strength should come regardless of the program since you still have 80lbs to loose but muscle gains are slightly doubtful. At some point your going to have to up the training volume as well.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by akaDrago View Post
    Okay, so my current BMR is around 2700, give or take. So if I consume about 1700 a day, and do 30 minutes of cardio a day, it will be better?
    Your BMR is not 2700, nobody's is that high unless they are andre the giant. Eat 2200 calories a day, see what happens every week for 3 weeks. If you havent lost at least 5 pounds, eat less or increase activity. Its not my body so i dont care how slow you lose it, but the 300 cals is so ridiculously slow for someone who has a lot to lose that you will be chasing a normal weight for a year and a half.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can definately gain muscle on a calorie deficit of 300 but all that cardio will make it very hard. I would cut back at least to 500 and do a less cardio, but I hate cardio. Way too much cardio for real muscle gain. How many hours a week are you spending in the gym?

Originally Posted by j1zip View Post
    You can definately gain muscle on a calorie deficit of 300 but all that cardio will make it very hard. I would cut back at least to 500 and do a less cardio, but I hate cardio. Way too much cardio for real muscle gain. How many hours a week are you spending in the gym?
    For the past year I've been doing a 5 day split, hitting each muscle once a week except calves (3x), but I plan on giving the StrongLifts 5x5 a go in order to get my bench up from 210 to 300, as well as gains in my squats and Deadlifts.