vastone23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull Up Question

I have been lifting for 7 months now. It was never about strength to me but always about shedding body fat but the thing I am weakest at is Pull-ups..any ideas for exercises to help strengthen my pull up reps.

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do more pull up's.
    do it every day you go to the gym. not just on back days.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
    do more pull up's.
    do it every day you go to the gym. not just on back days.
    This isn't a bad answer, though the context is a little hazy.

Pavel Tsatsouline often refers to a technique that he calls "greasing the groove" or GTG. The idea behind this is to put in a lot of volume at a sub maximal effort. So let's say you can do five pullups. The protocol (really more of a premise) would be to do one pullup every "once in a while." The original illustration of this was his father-in-law wanting to do more pullups. So every time his FIL went to the basement he did one pullup. His FIL was in and out of the basement numerous times through the day, so it worked out. I would probably hang a pullup bar in my kitchen door and do one every time I went out to nibble on something. Anyway, you get the idea. Over the course of a day, you might do 15-20 SINGLE pullups. Over the course of a month, you will have accumulated several hundred pullups under your belt, and when you go back to see how many pullups you can do in a row... ta-da! You are stringing along 10-20 reps (results may vary and other disclaimers here).

This works well if you can spread your effort and get a decent volume. Doing 3 in a day, over the course of 30 minutes probably isn't going to get you where you want to go. If you can spread some out so you have a little morning, noon, and night action going on you will be better off.

The trick is to not think of this too much. Be faithful to getting the volume and not straining yourself too much. Wait a month and then test progress.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by vastone23 View Post
    I have been lifting for 7 months now. It was never about strength to me but always about shedding body fat but the thing I am weakest at is Pull-ups..any ideas for exercises to help strengthen my pull up reps.
    Some things you can do to help:

Go heavy on weighted chin-ups and lat pulldowns.
    Go heavy on other back exercises e.g. bb rows, t-bar rows
    Go heavy on biceps
    Lower your body fat
    Stop gaining muscle on your legs (only do this if you're desperate)

When I say go heavy I mean sacrifice form for explosive power

Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    This isn't a bad answer, though the context is a little hazy.

Pavel Tsatsouline often refers to a technique that he calls "greasing the groove" or GTG. The idea behind this is to put in a lot of volume at a sub maximal effort. So let's say you can do five pullups. The protocol (really more of a premise) would be to do one pullup every "once in a while." The original illustration of this was his father-in-law wanting to do more pullups. So every time his FIL went to the basement he did one pullup. His FIL was in and out of the basement numerous times through the day, so it worked out. I would probably hang a pullup bar in my kitchen door and do one every time I went out to nibble on something. Anyway, you get the idea. Over the course of a day, you might do 15-20 SINGLE pullups. Over the course of a month, you will have accumulated several hundred pullups under your belt, and when you go back to see how many pullups you can do in a row... ta-da! You are stringing along 10-20 reps (results may vary and other disclaimers here).

This works well if you can spread your effort and get a decent volume. Doing 3 in a day, over the course of 30 minutes probably isn't going to get you where you want to go. If you can spread some out so you have a little morning, noon, and night action going on you will be better off.

The trick is to not think of this too much. Be faithful to getting the volume and not straining yourself too much. Wait a month and then test progress.
    I've also done some research on this method. Though I remember GTG as exerting 50-60% of your maximum effort and not just one pullup. I do realize you used that as an example though. So to clarify if you can do 10 pullups you should do 5 or 6 pullups a few times a day every day. When you test your max after a month or so modify your workload according to your max.
    Experience, not just theory

j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50) j1zip will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some exercises to help improve pull-ups for reverse grip pull-ups.

Close Reverse Grip Lat Pull Downs

Wide Reversre Lat Pull Downs

Preacher Curls

Pull-Ups

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Post #3--Grease the Groove
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Buy yourself an iron gym it hangs up in a door frame. Do as many as you can in the morning when you wake up and do the same before you go to bed, also do them throughout the day

Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I remember when I was a poolee for the marines I was super out of shape I was in shop and built a standing pull up bar I also used the support beams in my barn. I practiced pull-ups all the time just kept doing them. At first I couldn't do any I'd just hang there and try till my eyes were gonna explode. But then just hanging there became 1 pull-up then it became 2 and so on I left for bootcamp doing 12! All it took was trying them over and over and over again.

AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50) AestheticVinn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Start with just hanging aim for 10 seconds with no movement but hanging..minute rest repeat 5 times

once that becomes a peice of cake,or if it already is trying pulling youself half way up,only aim for half way
    do 3x5

As it becomes easier and easier to each pull yourself up half way, start to aim alil higer and repeat process untill you can finally do 1 full pullup rep.

HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I bought myself one of those pullup bars that hang on the door, I also bought some power bands that assist in my pullups. I do as many assisted pullups with the band until failure, which is about four assisted pullups, then I start doing negative pullups. My goal is to do ONE FRIGGIN PULLUP! I have never done one single pullup in my entire 36 years, this is gonna be the year I do dang pullups!!!!

This is what I'm doing at the moment. *This is not my video, I found it looking for assisted band pullups*.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TindOf7zyXM

I like this guys plan.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011.../do-a-pull-up/

IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IAVA31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Step 1: Visit Marines recruiting office

Step 2: Sign the contract

Step 3: Go to P.I.

Step 4: Get good at pull ups.