hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500)

curcumin raises serotonin and dopamine??

is anyone familiar with this? Does the first study state that it is safe to take with an ssri? I am on celexa and am worried about serotonin syndrome.

thanks

Antidepressant activity of curcumin: involvement of serotonin and dopamine system.
    Kulkarni SK, Bhutani MK, Bishnoi M.
    Source

Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India. skpu@yahoo.com
    Abstract
    RATIONALE:

Curcumin is a major active principle of Curcuma longa, one of the widely used preparations in the Indian system of medicine. It is known for its diverse biological actions.
    OBJECTIVE:

The present study was designed to investigate the involvement of monoaminergic system(s) in the antidepressant activity of curcumin and the effect of piperine, a bioavailability enhancer, on the bioavailability and biological effects of curcumin. METHODS AND OBSERVATIONS: Behavioral (forced swim test), biochemical (monoamine oxidase (MAO) enzyme inhibitory activity), and neurochemical (neurotransmitter levels estimation) tests were carried out. Curcumin (10-80 mg/kg, i.p.) dose dependently inhibited the immobility period, increased serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) as well as dopamine levels (at higher doses), and inhibited the monoamine oxidase enzymes (both MAO-A and MAO-B, higher doses) in mice. Curcumin (20 mg/kg, i.p.) enhanced the anti-immobility effect of subthreshold doses of various antidepressant drugs like fluoxetine, venlafaxine, or bupropion. However, no significant change in the anti-immobility effect of imipramine and desipramine was observed. Furthermore, combination of subthreshold dose of curcumin and various antidepressant drugs resulted in synergistic increase in serotonin (5-HT) levels as compared to their effect per se. There was no change in the norepinephrine levels. The coadministration of piperine (2.5 mg/kg, i.p.), a bioavailability enhancing agent, with curcumin (20 and 40 mg/kg, i.p.) resulted in potentiation of pharmacological, biochemical, and neurochemical activities.
    CONCLUSION:

The study provides evidences for mechanism-based antidepressant actions of curcumin. The coadministration of curcumin along with piperine may prove to be a useful and potent natural antidepressant approach in the management of depression.

The antidepressant effects of curcumin in the forced swimming test involve 5-HT1 and 5-HT2 receptors.
    Wang R, Xu Y, Wu HL, Li YB, Li YH, Guo JB, Li XJ.
    Source

Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Sciences and State Key Laboratory of Natural & Biomimetic Drugs, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China.
    Abstract

Curcuma longa is a main constituent of many traditional Chinese medicines, such as Xiaoyao-san, used to manage mental disorders effectively. Curcumin is a major active component of C. longa and its antidepressant-like effect has been previously demonstrated in the forced swimming test. The purpose of this study was to explore the possible contribution of serotonin (5-HT) receptors in the behavioral effects induced by curcumin in this animal model of depression. 5-HT was depleted by the tryptophan hydroxylase inhibitor p-chlorophenylalanine (PCPA, 100 mg/kg, i.p.) prior to the administration of curcumin, and the consequent results showed that PCPA blocked the anti-immobility effect of curcumin in forced swimming test, suggesting the involvement of the serotonergic system. Moreover, pre-treatment of pindolol (10 mg/kg, i.p., a beta-adrenoceptors blocker/5-HT(1A/1B) receptor antagonist), 4-(2'-methoxy-phenyl)-1-[2'-(n-2''-pyridinyl)-p-iodobenzamino-]ethyl-piperazine (p-MPPI, 1 mg/kg, s.c., a selective 5-HT(1A) receptor antagonist), or 1-(2-(1-pyrrolyl)-phenoxy)-3-isopropylamino-2-propanol (isamoltane, 2.5 mg/kg, i.p., a 5-HT(1B) receptor antagonist) was found to prevent the effect of curcumin (10 mg/kg) in forced swimming test. On the other hand, a sub-effective dose of curcumin (2.5 mg/kg, p.o.) produced a synergistic effect when given jointly with (+)-8-hydroxy-2-(di-n-propylamino)tetralin, (8-OH-DPAT, 1 mg/kg, i.p., a 5-HT(1A) receptor agonist), anpirtoline (0.25 mg/kg, i.p., a 5-HT(1B) receptor agonist) or ritanserin (4 mg/kg, i.p., a 5-HT(2A/2C) receptor antagonist), but not with ketanserin (5 mg/kg, i.p., a 5-HT(2A/2C) receptor antagonist with higher affinity to 5-HT(2A) receptor) or R(-)-1-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)-2-aminopropane (DOI, 1 mg/kg, i.p., a 5-HT(2A) receptor agonist). Taken together, these results indicate that the antidepressant-like effect of curcumin in the forced swimming test is related to serotonergic system and may be mediated by, at least in part, an interaction with 5-HT(1A/1B) and 5-HT(2C) receptors.
    Last edited by hereforhelp; 01-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.

hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500) hereforhelp is not very helpful. (-500)
    crap. this study says it could cause parkinsons.

Curcumin exposure induces expression of the Parkinson's disease-associated leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 (LRRK2) in rat mesencephalic cells.
    Ortiz-Ortiz MA, Morán JM, Ruiz-Mesa LM, Niso-Santano M, Bravo-SanPedro JM, Gómez-Sánchez R, González-Polo RA, Fuentes JM.
    Source

Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas, Departamento de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular y Genética, EU Enfermería y TO, Universidad de Extremadura, Avda Universidad s/n, 10071 Cáceres, Spain.
    Abstract

Turmeric (curry powder), an essential ingredient of culinary preparations of Southeast Asia, contains a major polyphenolic compound known as curcumin or diferuloylmethane. Curcumin is a widely studied phytochemical with a variety of biological activities. In addition to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial/antiviral properties, curcumin is considered as a cancer chemopreventive agent as well as a modulator of gene expression and a potent antioxidant. Since oxidative stress has been implicated in the degeneration of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra in Parkinson's disease (PD), curcumin has been proposed to have potential therapeutic value for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as PD. Following age, a family history of PD is the most commonly reported risk factor, suggesting a genetic component of the disease in a subgroup of patients. The LRRK2 gene has emerged as the gene most commonly associated with both familial and sporadic PD. Here, we report that exposure of rat mesencephalic cells to curcumin induces the expression of LRRK2 mRNA and protein in a time-dependent manner. The expression of other PD-related genes, such alpha-synuclein and parkin, was not affected by exposure to curcumin, and PTEN-induced putative kinase 1 (PINK1) was not expressed in rat mesencephalic cells. As LRRK2 overexpression is strongly associated with the pathological inclusions found in several neurodegenerative disorders, further studies are needed to evaluate the effects of curcumin as a therapeutic agent for neurodegenerative diseases.