efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thick bar training for beginners

Ive been on allpro's program for 6 weeks and I've made some improvements in my physique. Would it be possible for a beginner to train with thick bars/fat grips or is it only recommended for advanced lifters? It seems as if thicker grip would bring bigger gains.

I plan on sticking with allpros for some months and I know you have to lower the weight but I wouldn't mind it though. Suggestions?

Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've had my FatGripz for about a month now and have loved every rep with them. When i was working out with my gf, i was pretty disappointed that i couldnt use FatGripz because the bars are a bit larger than standard but not considered thick bars. I only had to lower the weights on some exercises such as cable/bent over rows and deadlifts. All the push movements i was able to do at the same weight. I have seen an improvement in grip strength and visually I can see more detail in my forearms. They've always been pretty dinky so im happy with the investment!

I'd say do the thick bar route if you can. Better to start early on than change things up after you're already settled/comfortable with things

efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) efferod73 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Cassadore View Post
    I've had my FatGripz for about a month now and have loved every rep with them. When i was working out with my gf, i was pretty disappointed that i couldnt use FatGripz because the bars are a bit larger than standard but not considered thick bars. I only had to lower the weights on some exercises such as cable/bent over rows and deadlifts. All the push movements i was able to do at the same weight. I have seen an improvement in grip strength and visually I can see more detail in my forearms. They've always been pretty dinky so im happy with the investment!

I'd say do the thick bar route if you can. Better to start early on than change things up after you're already settled/comfortable with things
    Hey man thanks for the input. Good to know the pushing movements aren't affected. Do you see your biceps and triceps improving because of the added thickness? I read in another thread that it puts the focus on the forearm but detracts from other muscles.

Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cassadore is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I havent encountered any issues with not working the biceps/triceps as much as they use too. The dumbbbells at my gym are thicker in the middle of the grip so the FatGripz dont go over them too well. DB's i do without gripz but any bicep/tricep barbell/e-z curl bar exercise are done with the gripz. I remember reading/seeing somewhere in regards to the interaction between muscles when using a thicker grip. If you fully recruit forearm muscles, you can bettere engage the biceps. I'll try looking for the article or vid that I got that from.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by efferod73 View Post
    Ive been on allpro's program for 6 weeks and I've made some improvements in my physique. Would it be possible for a beginner to train with thick bars/fat grips or is it only recommended for advanced lifters? It seems as if thicker grip would bring bigger gains.

I plan on sticking with allpros for some months and I know you have to lower the weight but I wouldn't mind it though. Suggestions?
    Don't put the cart before the horse. Special grip-training equipment isn't something beginners need be concerned about. Just stick to allpro's and your grip will develop naturally along with the strength in all your other muscle groups.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)

Honestly it is probably something I would have rather started with then been introduced to years later when I already had bad habits and an ego. Its really one of those things that I believe help your overall strength, but when you can handle a lot more weight it requires you to drop so much on main lifts that its not something you would want to do all the time.

It might not be something you would do forever but if I was just starting out I would use fat bars/ fat grips for almost everything.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As others have said, I don't think I would encourage anyone to do EVERYTHING with a thick bar. The truth of the matter is that unless your goal is to train to use a thick bar and/or you are specifically trying to focus only on your grip, this type of training is probably moving you away from your goals, not towards them.

Thick bars add an element of challenge to just about any lift, much like a single legged version of a lift, or a DB version. The questions is whether that challenge, while more difficult, is really getting you towards your goal. If I wanted to be a great powerlifter, I'm not sure how much time I would spend doing single legged deadlifts, DB bench press, or thick bar lifts. I might do them under certain circumstances, but I would spend the majority of my time working on getting stronger on the three lifts I would have to perform in competition.

If you change the above scenario to strongman, suddenly I might find thick bar work to be more important. If my goal is to lose fat, I might want all of these movements to be more difficult at a lower weight to keep my effort high while not subjecting my body to a lot of unnecessary weight (weight = risk while effort doesn't always = risk). The training has to have a purpose. If you are just doing random things for sh!ts and giggles, then it will never matter what you do as you have no goal to obtain.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not just pick a lift or two to use with thick grip.
    The problem is your grip will be fatigued before you've finish your workout and as you've already said training weight will be lighter.
    And there is an effect with pushing movements.You still have to stabilize the bar in your hand working your grip,and more neuro receptors in your hand are activated from a more open grip creating a different training effect from a standard oly bar.

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.

CookAndrewB you bring a very good point. My goals are mostly fatloss and aesthetics, not strength, and the more effort with less weight seems like a great idea.

I'll definitely start using them but not for certain exercises only.

Goodluck on achieving your goals, efferod! Pipe up on how you like thick bar training in a month or so

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.

CookAndrewB you bring a very good point. My goals are mostly fatloss and aesthetics, not strength, and the more effort with less weight seems like a great idea.

For fat loss, you are going to need to really focus in on your diet. What you do in the gym is going to amount to about 10% of your weight loss. What you do (and more importantly DON'T) put in your face accounts for the rest.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

My goals are mostly fatloss and aesthetics, not strength, and the more effort with less weight seems like a great idea.

Thick bars are great for building up your grip, and when you use them (like the FatGripz), you'll notice you'll need less weight because it's harder now that your grip comes into play. But then again, you already knew that!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.