Registered User TheLegendBegins's Avatar
    TheLegendBegins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile A legend in the making. (Help me become a real QB)

Let me start of by saying that football is one of my passions. I've always wanted to play, and I've finally been motivated enough to try. I feel like I know a good amount about the game. My personal idol? QB Russell Wilson.

I am currently a junior in high school. I have one chance to play, next year. I am currently a swimmer, and then a lacrosse player until the end of the school year.

I'm a pretty small guy, I can be pretty shifty. But that's not going to do. I also have pretty small hands, but I will not be deterred. I am determined to walk in and lead my high school team next season as a quarterback.

I'm a natural leader, I feel like I have the intangibles. I just need to develop arm strength, accuracy and some mechanics. That starting spot will be mine. I don't mean to sing my own praise at all, but I'm a pretty smart kid.

I am 5'9", 120 pounds. My body is my greatest enemy. I have a very high metabolism. I am somewhat injury prone due to my size and lack of muscle. My right ankle has been a trouble spot during lacrosse season, I sprained it pretty badly during the summer workouts and it's been easy to tweak since then. I think that I'll become much harder to hurt once I get stronger. Plus, tape is a wonderful thing.

I want to be a good 150 by September, at least 140. I'm going to find a mentor and get some mechanics down. I want to be able to throw well, but we run an option offense so I need to become more of a complete athlete

I want to lead my team to victory. I want to be a legend. I read some of the football sticky, but I felt I needed a more personalized answer because I have a serious ultimatum to meet. I need to be at my target weight by September 2013. Does anyone have any "secrets" for me to get strong quickly? I'm wondering if these starting strength programs are optimal for a guy looking to be a QB.

Help me be a winner, guys. Much love from an ambitious amateur looking to become a star.

TL;DR: New QB, weighs 120 at 5'9", has 9 months to gain 20-30 pounds. What do? Is it possible?

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are not likely going to be a better QB than someone who has been doing the position since middle school just from one offseason of training. It would make much more sense to just join the team as an athlete(which you already are), and then continue to work on your throwing throughout the year and if your QB goes down or is sick, show your coach you can play the position. If you think you are going to come out of the blue and win a starting QB position in Varsity football without ever having played and being 5'9 that is naive, and your aspirations are going to shot down.

Just work on what you can work on, your body and throwing. And pray to get your chance to shine. Good luck.
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by TheLegendBegins View Post
    Let me start of by saying that football is one of my passions. I've always wanted to play, and I've finally been motivated enough to try. I feel like I know a good amount about the game. My personal idol? QB Russell Wilson.

I am currently a junior in high school. I have one chance to play, next year. I am currently a swimmer, and then a lacrosse player until the end of the school year.

I'm a pretty small guy, I can be pretty shifty. But that's not going to do. I also have pretty small hands, but I will not be deterred. I am determined to walk in and lead my high school team next season as a quarterback.

I'm a natural leader, I feel like I have the intangibles. I just need to develop arm strength, accuracy and some mechanics. That starting spot will be mine. I don't mean to sing my own praise at all, but I'm a pretty smart kid.

I am 5'9", 120 pounds. My body is my greatest enemy. I have a very high metabolism. I am somewhat injury prone due to my size and lack of muscle. My right ankle has been a trouble spot during lacrosse season, I sprained it pretty badly during the summer workouts and it's been easy to tweak since then. I think that I'll become much harder to hurt once I get stronger. Plus, tape is a wonderful thing.

I want to be a good 150 by September, at least 140. I'm going to find a mentor and get some mechanics down. I want to be able to throw well, but we run an option offense so I need to become more of a complete athlete

I want to lead my team to victory. I want to be a legend. I read some of the football sticky, but I felt I needed a more personalized answer because I have a serious ultimatum to meet. I need to be at my target weight by September 2013. Does anyone have any "secrets" for me to get strong quickly? I'm wondering if these starting strength programs are optimal for a guy looking to be a QB.

Help me be a winner, guys. Much love from an ambitious amateur looking to become a star.

TL;DR: New QB, weighs 120 at 5'9", has 9 months to gain 20-30 pounds. What do? Is it possible?
    It seems pretty unusual you are so hung up on football for someone who hasn't played. 5' 9'' is pretty short, even for a high school QB, you will have a tough time seeing over lineman and dealing with tipped passes. I doubt you are going to acquire the skillset(as stated by OneLastChance) to take over the job from someone who has been doing it since they were much younger. I recommend the athlete route too, maybe a rb or wr would be possible. QB probably not. But go for it, worst thing that happens is you dont make it, but still make yourself a whole better(mentally and physically) in the process.

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Along with a good football lifting and agility workout routine, you need to find a couple (or more) friends who will go outside with you and run routes. Even the greatest lifting and agility program can't improve your accuracy/timing. Also, try to attend as many camps as possible. Here, almost everybody is going to be working hard and it will only make you better. The best thing you have going for you is that it is an option offense so there is usually a more atheltic quarterback who needs to be able to run. If you want to be playing on varsity as a spread QB, you will need to be at least 150. Not a fat 150, but a lean and fast 150. It will be tough for you to get there, but its possible.

There is no "secret" to getting better. Those who work there ass off get better. That's the cold hard truth. Another thing: gaining weight is as simple as eating more calories than you burn. So, since your very small, you need to start eating more. Calculate your macros and maintence calories (look for the thread in the nutrution section on this forum) and add 300 calories to that. Track your eating for about a week so you can get a feel for how much you need to eat. Also, buy a scale and monitor your weight. You should be gaining about .8 or so pounds a week, any more and you will be putting on too much fat for a football player. I suggest you use this routine: http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html and throw in some agility/speed work as well.

Best of luck. Your goal seems improbable, but you shouldn't want it any other way! Nobody is going to believe in you, but you have to believe in yourself. Like I said, there are no secrets. If you truly put in the work (lifting, agility, eating, etc.) I have no doubt that you can start. But, not many will put in enough in all the places they need to. You can't just eat, you can't just lift, you can't just do agility/football specific work. You have to do all of those at the highest possible level. GO GET 'EM!
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You can be both healthy and strong. A lot of times, people try to train through injuries and don't think about why they keep getting injured. If your ankle is a problem, find an expert and figure out how to fix it.

Registered User TheLegendBegins's Avatar
    TheLegendBegins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by doctor220 View Post
    It seems pretty unusual you are so hung up on football for someone who hasn't played. 5' 9'' is pretty short, even for a high school QB, you will have a tough time seeing over lineman and dealing with tipped passes. I doubt you are going to acquire the skillset(as stated by OneLastChance) to take over the job from someone who has been doing it since they were much younger. I recommend the athlete route too, maybe a rb or wr would be possible. QB probably not. But go for it, worst thing that happens is you dont make it, but still make yourself a whole better(mentally and physically) in the process.
    The offensive line is very tall, yes. Quarterbacks, in all honestly, need to use throwing lanes more than throwing over the line anyway. This is why shorter quarterbacks are starting to become more common in higher ranks.

As I have to develop my motion, I'm going to try to develop a more overarm delivery to give me a higher release, helping compensate for my height.

Thanks for the support guys. Time to work my ass off. If anyone else has any advice for me, I would love it and really appreciate it.

My team has been using running backs for QB's. Kind of like an NFL team using Brad Smith as a starter, that type of deal. A lot of guys graduating this year.

The world is full of unlikely victors. I will be one of them. There's a King in every crowd, and if I prepare myself to win, and I have the will to win, then sooner or later, the man who wants it more does win. I want it.

A little more backstory: I have been a rabid football fan ever since 2004. I live in Delaware and became a Seahawks fan at a very young age. I liked their mascot and colors. I am a die hard Hawks fan to this day. I always dreamt of playing, but my family was poor and I was always bullied through school. I grew up without a male parental figure or anyone to play with. Tough childhood. I just gave up on the dream.

Through high school, until now, I never thought I could. But I've been reading up on the underdogs and revamping my personal philosophy towards life and my ambitions. I realize that I am not limited by anyone but myself, really. Life has gotten better for me, and I am ready to chase my dreams with all my power.

Doug Flutie was little, and he was a master of improbable wins. Russell Wilson is short, and he's really lighting up the NFL. Drew Brees is kinda small. Jeff Blake was too. I can do this. I know it.

I'm going to fit in some workouts with friends, I'm also going to have to use a receiver glove on my throwing hand to help me grip the football. I have pretty damn small hands.

Again, thanks for the advice and encouragement, fellas.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You might as well try out for SEAL Team 6 while you are posting your fantasies on the internet.