Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

High GI, insulin spikes, and fast metabolism

I have a fast metabolism and require over 4k cals a day. Is it still dangerous for me to eat high GI foods even though I have a fast metabolism? I have a fear of getting diabetes because my dad has it. I know that too many insulin spikes in a day are bad, but does a fast metabolism make it ok? Thanks for any input

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Unless you're diabetic it shouldn't be of consequence to you. Is your father a T2D? If so is he overweight?

Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Browning4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rand18m View Post
    Unless you're diabetic it shouldn't be of consequence to you. Is your father a T2D? If so is he overweight?
    Yes he has type 2 diabetes. He has ranged from 5'11" 200-212.

rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmwing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just don't eat High GI carbs by themselves while fasted and you'll be fine, tha'ts the only time the GI scale comes into play.
    - Gym over everything Beta Crew
    - Hungry even when Bulking Crew
    - Glorious God Gamer
    - Would rather risk fatherfood then wear protection Crew

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Browning4 View Post
    Yes he has type 2 diabetes. He has ranged from 5'11" 200-212.
    So he wasn't terribly overweight, certainly not obese. I suggest you discuss this with your Dr. However, avoiding high GI foods or better, paying attention to high GL foods, is certainly not going to hurt you at all. Also remember, that a high GI food, when coupled with other food sources and macros such as fat, lose that GI index due to the reduction in absorption time. You can google and learn more.

darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it still dangerous for me to eat high GI foods
    Anything in excess will do harm.

I know that too many insulin spikes in a day are bad
    Over the years, this could lead to insuline resistance (and then T2D).

does a fast metabolism make it ok?
    Being blessed with a fast metabolism does not mean you can go crazy on sugars. Moderation is the answer.

PS.

1) Even if they fit your carbohydrate macro, you should keep the sugars to a minimum. Carbohydrates are not created equal, you should prefer the low and medium GI nutrient-dense carbs over the high GI nutrient-free carbs. Doing so will be giving you a decent amount of micros, stable blood sugar with no insuline tornados.

2) Avoid drinking your sugar calories.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll read more about what foods are lower in GI. Repped u all

DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I wish I could post a piece of information I have from a nutrition book I have..it's all about what you've asked...it basically states that diabetes type 2 does not happen from a diet high in carbohydrates but rather a diet over loaded with fats proteins..It states that in the presence of high FFA concentrations, the body will favor their use as energy, decreasing glucose oxidation and glycogen synthesis and inhibiting glucose transport. The result of this is chronically elevated levels of blood sugar aka hyperglycemia. During hyperglycemia, insulin will also be elevated, leading to the conversion of the excess blood sugar to other products such as glycoproteins and fatty free acids. It then states that a healthy person would have to consume an extremely high percentage of simple carbohydrates( such as sucrose) and FAT, maintain a constant energy excess, or be over weight to have chronically elevated blood sugar...basically its saying that the majority of calories should come from carbs with the min requirment of protein and fat as many of us already do. Many doctors treat this metabolic disorder with a zone diet or something similar. My dad and a lot of my family are diabetic also.....

here's a similar read....Insulin Resistance, Obesity and Carbs

Insulin resistance describes the condition when body cells have become less sensitive to the effects of insulin, the hormone secreted by the pancreas to help glucose to gain entry to cells where it is turned into energy. A reduction in insulin sensitivity causes the pancreas to over-compensate by releasing even more insulin. This leads to two common outcomes: diabetes, or obesity combined with high cholesterol and increased rates of heart disease.

Obesity and Insulin Resistance

Some evidence supports the idea that too much insulin (hyperinsulimia) may affect the body's ability to use calories efficiently, thereby causing obesity, but the question is which comes first – does excess body fat cause insulin resistance or is it the other way around? This obesity-insulin issue has become confused by the polarization of opinion around the value of low carb dieting.

Some diet-experts who promote low-carb diets are fierce advocates of the twin propositions that (1) insulin resistance is caused by eating carbohydrates; and (2) insulin resistance is the cause of obesity.

Is Insulin Resistance Caused by Carbohydrates?

Although insulin resistance is mainly caused by hereditary genetic factors, there is no doubt that some carbohydrates (high-glycemic-index carbs) aggravate insulin insensitivity when eaten to excess. (For example, see Carbs and Blood Glucose Levels and Effects of High GI Foods on Health). However, there is no evidence to suggest either that all carbs aggravate insulin resistance, or that a carb-free diet leads to good health. Furthermore:

It is too simplistic to say that only carbohydrate in the diet stimulates insulin production. The truth is that all ingested foods stimulate the release of insulin.
    It is not accurate to say that insulin stores fat only when high carb foods are eaten. The basic rule of human biochemistry is that food-energy (calories) is only stored as fat if too much food (from any source) is eaten. Meaning: if the body takes in less calories than it uses in a day, all those calories will be "burned" or used for energy. It does not matter what percentage of those calories came from fat, protein or carbohydrate. On the other hand, if the body takes in more calories than it burns, insulin will help to store those extra calories as fat. Again, it does not matter where the extra calories come from.
    Carbs in Diets

Some experts point out that if all carbohydrates were responsible for insulin resistance, countries who consume the greatest amount of carbs as a percentage of calories in their diet, would suffer the most. Yet this is not the case. Third world countries - who tend to consume least protein and fat in their diet - are relatively unscathed by insulin resistance. Also, in Japan, carbohydrates compose the majority of daily caloric intake. High carb foods like grains, rice, and vegetables are daily staples of the Japanese diet, and intake of high protein, high fat animal products is minimal. In contrast to the "horrors" of carbohydrates as described by promoters of some "almost-no-carb" diets, Japan has one of the lowest rates of obesity, heart disease, cancer and diabetes in the world.

Insulin Resistance Caused by Combination of Factors

Bottom line: aside from hereditary causes, insulin resistance is aggravated by a wide variety of factors including over-consumption of high GI carbs. But sufferers of insulin resistance and insulin insensitivity may continue to consume lower GI carbs as part of a balanced diet, without ill-effects.

Is Insulin the Cause of Obesity

The idea that insulin is the sole (or even the major) cause of obesity is not supported by medical evidence. Obesity is an extremely complex issue. It has to do not only with excess consumption of calories and lack of exercise, but also genetics, psychological issues, social issues, medical problems, food-processing issues and many other cultural factors. However, the overconsumption of high-glycemic value foods (and high-fat fast-food) is a major cause of concern. For example, consider these obesity contributory factors:

The increase in US fast food outlets and soft-drinks vending machines parallels the recent increase in obesity.
    About 40 cents in every US dollar spent on food is spent on eating out or takeouts.
    Americans currently spend $61 billion per year on sodas - the classic high GI carbohydrate. (Source: Center for Science in the Public Interest)
    Americans also spend $30 billion, per year on carb-rich pizza. (Source: Activity Connection.com, October 2003)
    Surveys continue to show that diners rate "portion-size per price" as the leading indicator of value for money when eating out.
    Portion sizes at restaurants are becoming ever more outrageous.
    In addition to this, studies show that the low quality of school food, widespread lack of exercise, use of home computers and TV viewing habits are all contributing to the obesity epidemic.

Bottom line: obesity is not a simple issue and insulin is not likely to be the sole, or even major cause.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DeadliftDOMS View Post
    it basically states that diabetes type 2 does not happen from a diet high in carbohydrates but rather a diet over loaded with fats proteins..It states that in the presence of high FFA concentrations, the body will favor their use as energy, decreasing glucose oxidation and glycogen synthesis and inhibiting glucose transport. The result of this is chronically elevated levels of blood sugar aka hyperglycemia. During hyperglycemia, insulin will also be elevated, leading to the conversion of the excess blood sugar to other products such as glycoproteins and fatty free acids.
    Pretty much the exact opposite is true.

See here.

DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Pretty much the exact opposite is true.

See here.
    That was a very interesting read..thankyou!....and while I respect your view and opinion there always will be some information out there that contradictes the next...I always viewed the cause of insulin resistance the same way and don't totally disagree still!...but I will always stick with the latest and up to date nutritional information as its always changing and new research is being done..I was a little wary of that article of yours seeing it was 6 years old...the information( not the article I posted) from my book was recent medical research from 2012 whether I or anybody agrees with it. While the book does agree that an overload of (simple sugars) while being in a calorie surplus can cause this metabolic disorder it also has research showing that more people become diabetic from diets that are overloaded with fats proteins while still having carbs also...most of there calories come from fats while still supplying efficient amounts of carbs keeping the body burning glucose instead of switching to FFA...so there for their still getting a large insuline response not only from carbs but also from fats and proteins and their taking in large amounts of fat calories at the same time...this all happening in a calorie surplus....they prescribe this with a diet compromised of complex carbs to stabilize blood sugar while keeping the amount of fat calories lower than carbs and supplying the Adequate Protein....look up the zone diet....like I mentioned most my family and some friends also are type 2 diabetic and this kind of diet is what all their doctors have prescribed them.
    Last edited by DeadliftDOMS; 01-02-2013 at 11:27 AM.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    but I will always stick with the latest and up to date nutritional information as its always changing and new research is being done..I was a little wary of that article of yours seeing it was 6 years old...the information( not the article I posted) from my book was recent medical research from 2012 whether I or anybody agrees with it.
    Where's your citation?

most of there calories come from fats while still supplying efficient amounts of carbs to keep the body from burning glucose to FFA...so there for their still getting a large insuline response not only from carbs but also from fats and proteins and their taking in large amounts of fats at the same time...this all happening in a calorie surplus obviously...
    You're really confused about this topic and I urge you to research it before posting such nonsense.

Where's your citation?

You're really confused about this topic and I urge you to research it before posting such nonsense.
    Your a very hard person to get along with I'm betting arnt you?...would you go to mechanic to have car worked on if all he knew was information about cars from a decade ago?...same goes for NUTRITON...if you actually would READ my posts you would understand better...and I said in response to your post that I still didn't disagree with that information, yet the information I've studied points out something different and more up to date...you think you can read some artical on the internet from 6 years ago and think your some kind of nutrition guru!!....who the heck are you to say anyone's wrong!!...ive read through alot of your posts now and all you seem to do is post some LINK to someone with out dated information...it seems to me you should not be criticizing anyone and should do a little more research yourself rather than being so stubborn...never said you were wrong by the way...and if you don't ever have anything nice to say then keep to yourself.

Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Your a very hard person to get along with I'm betting arnt you?...would you go to mechanic to have car worked on if all he knew was information about cars from a decade ago?...same goes for NUTRITON...if you actually would READ my posts you would understand better...and I said in response to your post that I still didn't disagree with that information, yet the information I've studied points out something different and more up to date...you think you can read some artical on the internet from 6 years ago and think your some kind of nutrition guru!!....who the heck are you to say anyone's wrong!!...ive read through alot of your posts now and all you seem to do is post some LINK to someone with out dated information...it seems to me you should not be criticizing anyone and should do a little more research yourself rather than being so stubborn...never said you were wrong by the way...and if you don't ever have anything nice to say then keep to yourself.
    He's not attacking you.....he provided a source, now he is asking for your source....rather than just taking your word for it.
    "I think, therefore I am" - René Descartes

Originally Posted by Naeem11 View Post
    He's not attacking you.....he provided a source, now he is asking for your source....rather than just taking your word for it.
    Right he's hassled me several times now..this isn't the first..and my information was taken from my NASM nutrition book...all the information is up to date from scientific research done at top universities.

Right he's hassled me several times now..this isn't the first..and my information was taken from my NASM nutrition book.
    This is the problem: you are taking your information from an unreliable source, yet you disregard peer-reviewed journal published studies.

Much of the information you were taught about nutrition is simply incorrect.

Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Right he's hassled me several times now..this isn't the first..and my information was taken from my NASM nutrition book...all the information is up to date from scientific research done at top universities.
    Well, can we have the name of the book, author, ISBN...etc...we can probably find the book, I'm sure it would be an interesting read. Also the scientific research is published and peer reviewed right? meaning we can probably have access to them and view them for ourselves. I for one am curious, and am always in the mood for a good read.
    "I think, therefore I am" - René Descartes

Right...it was written by doctors, colledge professors, and diatitians but I guess non of them know a thing...and only was this information taken from that book...Now where do you get your references from?

Well, can we have the name of the book, author, ISBN...etc...we can probably find the book, I'm sure it would be an interesting read. Also the scientific research is published and peer reviewed right? meaning we can probably have access to them and view them for ourselves. I for one am curious, and am always in the mood for a good read.
    FYI: That "NASM nutrition book" is from a training book for a "Personal Trainer Certification". Seriously. See here.

Of coarse you can...THANKYOU for being so polite...I was actually warned about this poster..it's NASMs FNS(fitness nutrition specialist) book...look it up.

FYI: That "NASM nutrition book" is from a training book for a "Personal Trainer Certification". Seriously. See here.
    Uh I know....I am a NASM personal trainer....and you still haven't told me where you get your information from...sources please?

Uh I know....I am a NASM personal trainer....and you still haven't told me where you get your information from...sources please?
    You have to be kidding.

I provided a link to the full-text peer-reviewed journal published study and, from that link, you can't figure out the source?

[QUOTE=WonderPug;1003318283]You have to be kidding.

I provided a link to the full-text peer-reviewed journal published study and, from that link, you can't figure out the source?[/QUOTE
    YOU have to be kidding that article was 6 years old..and RESEARCH was even older than that...do really not get this!!!...and that's the only place???..you rely SOLEY on this one website and you criticize me...wow!

YOU have to be kidding that article was 6 years old..and RESEARCH was even older than that...do really not get this!!!...and that's the only place???..you rely SOLEY on this one website and you criticize me...wow!
    I've come to the conclusion that you must be trolling so I'm out of here.

I've come to the conclusion that you must be trolling so I'm out of here.
    You may be fooling ever one else with your talk but your not fooling me...sounds like your trolling and calling other people trolls.

darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50) darkcloudcover will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Right...it was written by doctors, colledge professors, and diatitians but I guess non of them know a thing...and only was this information taken from that book...Now where do you get your references from?
    Hey man, anybody can publish a book. The content of the book could be right or wrong, no matter who wrote it, if it's doctors, college professors, or dietitians.

It's very important to look in medical journal at reviewed articles. That's where you get more accurate information, no matter how old it is.

I have a question: When you did your personal trainer certificate, did they tell you about clinical reviews & public health journal? or just taught you the content of their book?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by darkcloudcover View Post

I have a question: When you did your personal trainer certificate, did they tell you about clinical reviews & public health journal? or just taught you the content of their book?
    I want to know why they don't have to pass year 7 English grammar and spelling. Surely that's required for a business

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Carbohydrates are not created equal, you should prefer the low and medium GI nutrient-dense carbs over the high GI nutrient-free carbs.
    What about high GI nutrient dense foods?
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Originally Posted by germaine07 View Post
    What about high GI nutrient dense foods?
    They are good, but not very suitable for him (he's talking about diabetes). Here we're talking more about insuline response rather than the nutrient content.

PS. I'm not saying he should completely get rif of them, but rather go for low & medium GI as a preference, since they are more gentle on insuline secretion.

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They are good, but not very suitable for him (he's talking about diabetes). Here we're talking more about insuline response rather than the nutrient content.
    Yeah but he has a fear of getting diabetes, he doesn't actually have it. His fears could be totally unsubstantiated and just based on media saying sugars will make you fat and give you diabetes.

His dad has diabetes, is it hereditary? We can't tell. He'll have to see a doctor.
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Originally Posted by germaine07 View Post
    Yeah but he has a fear of getting diabetes, he doesn't actually have it. His fears could be totally unsubstantiated and just based on media saying sugars will make you fat and give you diabetes.

His dad has diabetes, is it hereditary? We can't tell. He'll have to see a doctor.
    I'm not saying the opposite, as I said in my post #6, year after year of eating too much high GI foods (ie. too much insuline spikes) could lead to insuline resistance, which could lead to T2D.

We don't know if it will happen to him, but it will be a good idea to keep insuline under control as a preventative strategy, because some people are more prone to develop T2D. This risk could be completely eliminated by the individual adopting the correct lifestyle.

I advise him to prefer low GI and have high GI in moderation, even if he has high metabolism as he noted. Of course I'm not going to tell him, yes man eat as much sugar as you want, you'll be OK since you have fast metabolism and you're not diabetic; it doesn't make any sense.

And as you said, he can seek professional advice where he gets more accurate info, but this is how I see it.