racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Comparing CEC requirements?

Am I reading this right that ACE requires 20 CEC to recertify and that they offer a discount for only 2 CEC at $300? That would mean each CEC costs $150 and that can't be right.

http://www.acefitness.org/getcertifi...omparison.aspx

http://www.acefitness.org/continuing...-ecredits.aspx

How about the cost to purchase/earn CEC thru ACSM and NASM? Would greatly appreciate any info on actual costs for CECs. I have certification thru AHIMA and know all too well the hoops some sanctioning bodies have you jump through. Not complaining about keeping certs up, but I know costs can vary a great deal. I'm deciding which one to choose for CPT. Plan is to get my CPT before this summer and hoping to be accepted to college for physical therapy, which is full time. CPT cert will give me an opportunity to earn some money while I get through school. The local Y offers part time hours with medical ins and benefits, so it's a good place to start and gain experience. Thanks

Maynard311862 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maynard311862 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think the information is correct. Most personal trainers need 2 CEU/CEC's to recertify. I am NASM certified and I need 2. I purchased a continued education course that was worth 1.9 credits, and once I re-do my CPR training that's the other .1 needed. I also believe that ACE requires 2.0 CEC's, not 20. But those CEC's you are looking at aren't a great investment anyways. I have a few .1 CEU's (Working with seniors, altering body composition, battling the holiday bulge, group fitness, preventing dehydration, so on and so forth) but I have them just to have them, and to increase my own personal education and value as a trainer.

Your best bet is to get a CPT and that will get you in the door. Continued education isn't required for 2 years so I would cross that bridge when you come to it (or can afford it). But instead of paying $20-$100 for these .1, .2, .4 CEC's, you are better off spending the money and purchasing a solid specialty certification that will give you another title, certification of completion, and actually push you to CONTINUE YOUR EDUCATION. That's what it's all about in the end.

Anyways... if you decide to go NASM let me know. I can get you 20% off.

racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Maynard311862 View Post
    I don't think the information is correct. Most personal trainers need 2 CEU/CEC's to recertify. I am NASM certified and I need 2. I purchased a continued education course that was worth 1.9 credits, and once I re-do my CPR training that's the other .1 needed. I also believe that ACE requires 2.0 CEC's, not 20. But those CEC's you are looking at aren't a great investment anyways. I have a few .1 CEU's (Working with seniors, altering body composition, battling the holiday bulge, group fitness, preventing dehydration, so on and so forth) but I have them just to have them, and to increase my own personal education and value as a trainer.

Your best bet is to get a CPT and that will get you in the door. Continued education isn't required for 2 years so I would cross that bridge when you come to it (or can afford it). But instead of paying $20-$100 for these .1, .2, .4 CEC's, you are better off spending the money and purchasing a solid specialty certification that will give you another title, certification of completion, and actually push you to CONTINUE YOUR EDUCATION. That's what it's all about in the end.

Anyways... if you decide to go NASM let me know. I can get you 20% off.
    2 makes more sense. I think I'm leaning toward ACSM because that seems to be the preferred one for the hospital chain in my area, but I'm going to call a few places first. I'll be working toward a bachelors in health science. Thanks for the reply.

Registered User countryrunner19's Avatar
    countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) countryrunner19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    intresting