vietnow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vietnow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Unhappy Tennis elbow/tricep pain down to elbow - help!

Hi,

I've been working out using moderate weight for the last 4 months, really seeing improvements slowly.

However I recently started doing 30 to 40 push ups each night and doing pull ups (unassisted) and after a month I started to get this killer pain in my tricep/elbow on right arm and slightly on left arm.

So I stopped doing push ups and pull ups, to some extent both arms got a bit better, however whenever I even do like a chest press or chest fly or any arm excercise (especially in right arm) the pain comes back.

I tried taking Glucosmasine, but got bad side effects such as nausea and diarrhea, so I stopped taking that lol. I've started taking Cod Liver Oil tablets, doesn't seem to help.

If anyone could give me some pointers on how to recover, I'd be so grateful, it sucks I've paid 300 pounds (600 dollars) membership for my gym and I was seeing results and now I have to stop.

Height: 6, 1
    Weight: 180 pounds
    Age: 20 (why **** am I getting problems at this age lol)
    Last edited by vietnow; 01-29-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What exactly is a press up?
    "To get where you want to be, you have to train like you want to get there."

vietnow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vietnow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Arm_Wrestler View Post
    What exactly is a press up?
    Sorry push up (call them press ups in UK)

Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh okay. Well, what you have sounds to me like a combination of the tricep and sore tendons/ligaments in that area. I know when I armwrestle, it hurts in the same place. The tricep has three heads, and the lateral head comes down and has a continuation across the elbow (anconeus). That whole lower part of the medial head into the anconeous sounds to me like what you have. Check this picture out

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Its the second one. Is that where it seems to bother you?

Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Budjola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "I recently started doing 30 to 40 push ups each night"

dont do them every night, let your triceps and elbows recover.
    also stretch and stretch alot
    I always tell the truth, even when I lie.
    Podcast 24/7 Crew
    Conspiracy Crew

Yeh your right it hurts in the medial and long head part of the muscle.
    Is there a way to recover?

TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

yes

Originally Posted by Budjola View Post
    "I recently started doing 30 to 40 push ups each night"

dont do them every night, let your triceps and elbows recover.
    also stretch and stretch alot
    I agree, sounds like you were just overtraining.
    "The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."
    -Arnold

Okay, I think I know what you are talking about. If this pain persists for more than 2 minutes after aggrevating it, then I know I know what your talking about. It is not a bad thing in terms of injury, but it just takes time to recover and it does hurt. It usually is gone after 6 weeks at the longest. You will need to rest more and ice it. Don't do them every night. In fact, I would cut it down to once or twice a week. The combination of that overworked muscle and the pullups will do that. If it is really bothering you, ultrasound could speed up the recovery, but it really isn't necessary.

Your tendons and ligaments in that area can be over-stretched and inflamed and it gives the illusion of sore muscles. Take fish oil and maybe try to find something with white willow extract... both will help with inflamation.

I am surprised that body weight exercises could do that though. It normally takes an unusual amount of stress to accomplish that. Anyhow, with time, it will get better to where you could return to this regimen (though I wouldn't suggest it) and not have the same problem again.

I hope that helps.

Originally Posted by B3ASTMODE View Post
    I agree, sounds like you were just overtraining.
    Ok would icing it help or even eating more foods in protein (which I have noticed I am not doing).

My plan is to work the pecs once a week, but when I work the back and other body parts, my arms always going to be active - so should I also limit my activity for the next 8 weeks?

Music.Ear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Music.Ear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Music.Ear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some people do actually get pain from push ups specifically because the wrist is bent backwards, far out of the neutral straight position, and then force is applied. You wouldn't think this could affect the elbow, but it can because of the tension of the forearm muscles around the medial epicondyle (the bump of bone on the inside of the forearm).

Does it hurt only when doing these exercises or all of the time? Arm_Wrestler is probably correct about it being a triceps issue. You might also try purchasing the push up "bars", not sure what they're called. They allow you to grip the bars instead of having your hand splayed out and flat on the ground. Also try different angles of where your elbows are flared. Try not flaring your elbows out perpendicular to your body, but to be more tucked in to your side. This at least is the proper form most people use on bench press to prevent elbow injury, etc.

Originally Posted by Music.Ear View Post
    Some people do actually get pain from push ups specifically because the wrist is bent backwards, far out of the neutral straight position, and then force is applied. You wouldn't think this could affect the elbow, but it can because of the tension of the forearm muscles around the medial epicondyle (the bump of bone on the inside of the forearm).

Does it hurt only when doing these exercises or all of the time? Arm_Wrestler is probably correct about it being a triceps issue. You might also try purchasing the push up "bars", not sure what they're called. They allow you to grip the bars instead of having your hand splayed out and flat on the ground. Also try different angles of where your elbows are flared. Try not flaring your elbows out perpendicular to your body, but to be more tucked in to your side. This at least is the proper form most people use on bench press to prevent elbow injury, etc.
    To be honest mate I don't intend to do any more push ups or pull ups anymore because I feel alot of strain on the wrists as you said (but especially the elbows). Now I will probably just use the gym machines for sorting my pecs out, I mean it may be an idea to get the push up bar but I think the elbows would still feel strain unfortunatley.

Now all I care about is getting my right elbow back to normal, so I can get back to using the gym machines and get some killer pecs

Like I said above, it should be gone in 6 weeks at the most, though it should be gone in 2.5 to 3. I would say that you can continue to work out. The issue I am describing just takes some time and it hurts, but it WILL go away. I continued to train when I had it, I just couldn't do as much weight because it hurt to badly. If you feel something hurting it, don't do that. Stay away from the bench press for now, if you are going to curl, only do hammer curls, and stay away from the lat pull down and pullups for maybe a week or two. Do light weight pull downs for reps. You will basically just have to move to a higher rep-lower weight program for about 2 weeks for your chest and arms. You can still do some heavy back stuff (deadlifts, traps).

Unfortunately, any pressing motion will aggrevate it, so your chest may have to take a rest for a while.

**If this doesn't go away within 6 weeks, you have an issue and need to see a doctor / physical therapist.

TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) TitanBMJ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

try this

Originally Posted by vietnow View Post
    Ok would icing it help or even eating more foods in protein (which I have noticed I am not doing).

My plan is to work the pecs once a week, but when I work the back and other body parts, my arms always going to be active - so should I also limit my activity for the next 8 weeks?
    Work your legs in between your upper body days. For example:

Day 1- Chest/bis
    Day 2 - Quads/calves
    Day 3 - Shoulders/Traps/Tris
    Day 4 - Back
    Day 5 - Hamstrings/calves
    "The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."
    -Arnold

Kl I'll take this stuff on board, might just focus on cardio get rid of any fat in the mean time, work on abs.

I just hope this pain goes away its very very very very irritating lol.

Cheers for the tips guys, appreciate it.

anit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have got the same problem but when i turn my elbow my elbow cracks and it cracks when my elbow its on a bench and i turn it