CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Advice for a better squat?

I've been struggling to get more weight on the bar when it comes to squats. I've tried to get pointers on proper form from posts here on bb.com, but something doesn't quite seem correct still. My PR on squats is 170 x6, and has been the slowest of all of my lifts to see improvement. Would some of you fine people here in O35 be willing to give me some suggestions? This is my first time seeing myself squat from a side view, looks like I've got to go a little deeper.
    I've posted a couple vids on photobucket. I'll try to link to them. Thanks
    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...robsquats2.mp4
    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...=robsquats.mp4

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good videos.

Watch closely and you will notice that your very first movement is bending your knees.

What is supposed to happen is that your first movement is pushing your butt back which will cause your knees to bend.

Now focus on pushing your butt back not only first but throughout the entire travel up and down. You should notice a big difference right away. You should start feeling much stronger and in control.

Do it just standing there right now and you will be able to feel the difference.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tighten up your back and widen your stance and point your feet out.

Your back is rounding and your knees are wobbling.

You need to get deeper.

Also slow the phuck down.

I'm no expert on squat form but I have a half-decent squat.

Also not saying I have the best form, but take a look at a recent squat vid and compare to yours:

And yes I know I am cheating because I am wearing a belt and knee wraps.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would suggest peeling the weight off the bar until you can literally squat ATG and hold it at the bottom for several seconds.

Then do a set with that weight and take a vid and repost.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get rid of those shoes, look like Nike running shoes of some sort. They are making you very "wobbly". Try something with a non "air" type sole, something more solid or barefoot even. You want to be solidly connected to the ground.

Try to keep your knees from caving in, think of trying to spread the floor underneath you with your feet...push out.

Stance looks like it might be ok on width, but experiment with pointing your toes/knees out a tiny bit more. Will help you sit down into the pocket and get the depth you're after.

You're doing a high bar squat, which is not bad, but it looks like you've really got the bar up on your neck. Experiment with the bar a little lower into your traps, might also help with form.

As crupiea stated, break at the hips first, imagine you're going to sit down onto something. This should prevent your knees from traveling forward so far. In fact, you could try box squats to help reinforce the motion.

Practice form with just the bar if needed.

Overall not bad though, better than most I see at my gym.

Edit: lol, damn, everything Flex said....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

--==2013 Meet Lifts==--
    147.5/325 | 90/198 | 202.5/446

CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CBRob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    Good videos.

Watch closely and you will notice that your very first movement is bending your knees.

What is supposed to happen is that your first movement is pushing your butt back which will cause your knees to bend.

Now focus on pushing your butt back not only first but throughout the entire travel up and down.
    Will focus on hips back rather than knees bending. thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    I would suggest peeling the weight off the bar until you can literally squat ATG and hold it at the bottom for several seconds.

Then do a set with that weight and take a vid and repost.
    Thanks Flex, I'll have a go ATG and see what I can do. I'll slow it down as well. I can see my back rounding like you mentioned, maybe the wider stance feet out will help me counter that lack of flexibility.

Originally Posted by mal1ce View Post
    Get rid of those shoes, look like Nike running shoes of some sort. They are making you very "wobbly". Try something with a non "air" type sole, something more solid or barefoot even. You want to be solidly connected to the ground.

Try to keep your knees from caving in, think of trying to spread the floor underneath you with your feet...push out.

Stance looks like it might be ok on width, but experiment with pointing your toes/knees out a tiny bit more. Will help you sit down into the pocket and get the depth you're after.

You're doing a high bar squat, which is not bad, but it looks like you've really got the bar up on your neck. Experiment with the bar a little lower into your traps, might also help with form.

As crupiea stated, break at the hips first, imagine you're going to sit down onto something. This should prevent your knees from traveling forward so far. In fact, you could try box squats to help reinforce the motion.

Practice form with just the bar if needed.

Overall not bad though, better than most I see at my gym.

Edit: lol, damn, everything Flex said....
    Thank you Malice, I'll see if I can find a good spot for the bar lower down the back. I hope my shoes are OK, I picked them out with lifting in mind. They are skater shoes with a pretty stiff sole. My lack of stabilizer muscles is probably to blame for the wobble in the knees.

I'll work on these items for a bit, than hopefully check back in with a progress video.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    You've probably been given all the advice you need, but in case you wanted a handy, kinda bullet-point-y guide, there's one here: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-...mmon-problems/

mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CBRob View Post
    I hope my shoes are OK, I picked them out with lifting in mind. They are skater shoes with a pretty stiff sole.
    Ahh, I only caught a glance of them in the mirror. As long as they are stiff and keep you anchored to the ground, that's what matters.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

--==2013 Meet Lifts==--
    147.5/325 | 90/198 | 202.5/446

absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absoluteauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Instead of thinking about standing up when your coming outa the whole think about driving your hips through the roof. Hip drive.

OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000) OneSixtyFour is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by absoluteauto View Post
    Instead of thinking about standing up when your coming outa the whole think about driving your hips through the roof. Hip drive.
    This.

You almost wanna do a mini hip thrust halfway to three quarters of the way up, and this will activate your glutes and help you get up easier.
    PR: Bench: 100kg x 1. Squat: 140kg x 1 Dead lift: 160kg x 1 (on my journey to 180kg)

** Uneven pecs Crew **
    ** Negs undereaters on sight Crew **

Follow me on Instagram *******s: @manletofpiece

Rep me with your Instagram username and I will follow back and rep back.