Simona40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New - Just under the Jan 1st rush :)

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and just got back into the gym after losing 90+lbs. Super excited about lifting again. I used to lift really heavy way back when and stopped for some stupid reason.

Anyway...nobody I know supports this. They all have this idea in their head that I should just lose enough weight to be in the "normal/healthy" BMI range. For me, that's 119-149lbs WAY too small for me. I'd never be comfortable with that. I have a Dexa Scan scheduled for Saturday so I know exactly what my BF% is and I can take it from there - setting a fat loss goal and then muscle building goal. I think I have another 60-65lbs to lose but it's hard to determine without a professional helping me. I have a body fat caliper at home but have no idea if I'm actually using it right.

So...that's me in a nutshell. 40 year old from Toronto working her ass off to get fit in 2013.

loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveandwaves is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Simona40 View Post
    Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and just got back into the gym after losing 90+lbs. Super excited about lifting again. I used to lift really heavy way back when and stopped for some stupid reason.

Anyway...nobody I know supports this. They all have this idea in their head that I should just lose enough weight to be in the "normal/healthy" BMI range. For me, that's 119-149lbs WAY too small for me. I'd never be comfortable with that. I have a Dexa Scan scheduled for Saturday so I know exactly what my BF% is and I can take it from there - setting a fat loss goal and then muscle building goal. I think I have another 60-65lbs to lose but it's hard to determine without a professional helping me. I have a body fat caliper at home but have no idea if I'm actually using it right.

So...that's me in a nutshell. 40 year old from Toronto working her ass off to get fit in 2013.
    Welcome! I am also from Toronto; what gym are you going to?

Something that has helped me in the past and continues to work well is just setting smaller weight loss goals and re-evaluating after each threshold is achieved. Like for example, I like to diet for 6 weeks at a time, and then take a break for 2 weeks and eat at maintinence; I then decide whether or not to go for another 6 week round.

I also have a trainer, and if you feel you need professional support, I would definitively reccomend investing in one.

All the best to you, and good luck on your weight loss goals this year!

To be Healthy & Lean Going4Lean's Avatar
    Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10) Going4Lean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Best of luck to ya, Simona!
    ~Shelly~

"Burning fat and transforming your body is simple, but it's not easy. You gotta work at it. But if you're willing to put the work in, you will take out the rewards!"

**I'm working with a weight lifting restriction, due to surgery repair, but I'm still making great progress.**

gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000)
    good luck on reaching your goals!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Where are you getting the idea that 149 lbs would be way too small for someone your height? Welcome and best of luck.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    I think I have another 60-65lbs to lose
    You're currently 5' 5" and 262 according to your profile.... so you're shooting for 197 - 202 as your goal weight?
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Where are you getting the idea that 149 lbs would be way too small for someone your height? Welcome and best of luck.
    It's really just from seeing other people at that same weight. My sister is the same height as me and weighs 140lbs and looks too small IMO. I've been obese all my life - my highest was close to 400lbs so it's hard to adjust to a smaller frame. I'm not comfortable with that.

Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    You're currently 5' 5" and 262 according to your profile.... so you're shooting for 197 - 202 as your goal weight?
    200 is my goal for now. At that weight I'll re-evaluate. I dont have a definitive goal in mind yet - I'll determine that as I continue to transform.

Ideally I'd love to be 200 with under 20% BF but I don't know how realistic that is.

That's why I'm here - for info, help from others who've already met their goals.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's really just from seeing other people at that same weight. My sister is the same height as me and weighs 140lbs and looks too small IMO. I've been obese all my life - my highest was close to 400lbs so it's hard to adjust to a smaller frame. I'm not comfortable with that.
    I think you should look at the reasons you are uncomfortable in a "smaller" frame. those stats do not sound "too small" at all, they sound quite normal. To me it sounds like you have built your identity around being obese and being larger and its quite scary for people to admit this and change. And that is something you will need to address on your journey. 5'5 and 200 lbs is still large and not within a healthy weight range, thats a BMI of 33 and still considered obese. 5'5 and 140 is a BMI of 23.3 so right within the healthy range.

Not trying to be mean or pull you down, just trying to have you look within yourself as to why you are thinking and feeling the way you do.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    Not trying to be mean or pull you down, just trying to have you look within yourself as to why you are thinking and feeling the way you do.
    I didn't think you were mean at all. When I started to self sabotage I sought a psychiatrist because I know if I don't figure out WHY I gained so much I'd never be successful at keeping it off. Obesity is about more than just overeating & being lazy.

I've had this same goal weight discussion with him & I guess what matters most to me is BF% not the actual weight. To be honest most people I know are "skinny fat". Maybe researching LEAN & MUSCULAR 149lb people will help with my perception.

kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kitten2cat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    200 is my goal for now. At that weight I'll re-evaluate. I dont have a definitive goal in mind yet - I'll determine that as I continue to transform.

Ideally I'd love to be 200 with under 20% BF but I don't know how realistic that is.

That's why I'm here - for info, help from others who've already met their goals.
    That is a realistic goal if you work hard. Weight won't really effect your health negatively if it's mostly muscle.
    I know how you feel regarding your "healthy weight". I personally feel very comfortable around 180, which is overweight, but I feel comfortable here. Being 150 and skinny fat is more unhealthy to me than being 180 with a low body fat.
    As long as you are healthy at your goal weight ( being able to climb stairs or go for a jog and not get winded), then you'll be perfectly fine.
    :Change if you want to change. Otherwise, you'll waste your life wishing.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kitten2cat View Post
    That is a realistic goal if you work hard. Weight won't really effect your health negatively if it's mostly muscle.
    I know how you feel regarding your "healthy weight". I personally feel very comfortable around 180, which is overweight, but I feel comfortable here. Being 150 and skinny fat is more unhealthy to me than being 180 with a low body fat.
    As long as you are healthy at your goal weight ( being able to climb stairs or go for a jog and not get winded), then you'll be perfectly fine.
    200 at 20% bf doesn't sound reasonable at all. Not sure where you're getting that.

FYI, 150 at 5'7" doesn't make you skinny fat. You're kidding yourself if you think you're at a "low" bodyfat at 180. I think you are vastly overestimating how much muscle a woman can realistically put on.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

sidogg91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Welcome and good luck!!!!
    THE PUMP!!!!

Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post
    200 at 20% bf doesn't sound reasonable at all. Not sure where you're getting that.

FYI, 150 at 5'7" doesn't make you skinny fat. You're kidding yourself if you think you're at a "low" bodyfat at 180. I think you are vastly overestimating how much muscle a woman can realistically put on.
    That's part of why I'm here. I'm in the process of changing my body and I may have unrealistic expectations and goals and that's okay...I'm here to learn. And no, 150 at 5'5" wont make me skinny fat - I'm referring to people I know - they're skinny fat and they're okay with how they look. What I was saying is I wouldnt be happy with that because I'd want a more muscular look.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's part of why I'm here. I'm in the process of changing my body and I may have unrealistic expectations and goals and that's okay...I'm here to learn. And no, 150 at 5'5" wont make me skinny fat - I'm referring to people I know - they're skinny fat and they're okay with how they look. What I was saying is I wouldnt be happy with that because I'd want a more muscular look.
    Sorry, my reply was to what the user I quoted said.

For expectations, do you have any pros that have the look you would like? You should be able to see their stats and get an idea about where they sit in and off season. Note, though, that they may be "on", which means that their results don't match what someone taking a "natty" route would. Make sure you're comparing to what you're willing to do. That said, I wouldn't get too hung up numbers. Use the mirror to determine if you're moving in the direction you'd like to get to.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50) HipAlbatross will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When you've been bigger most of your life, it's hard to set goals for yourself because you aren't sure what the end result will be. I know the first time around that I did this I thought the healthy range for me sounded too low. I got down to 146 lbs from 194 and looking back at pictures I really should have worked harder to go farther. It was skinnier than I had ever been so I just stopped, but I could have done so much more.

200 lbs with 20% body fat would make you one seriouslly JACKED woman, and it would be really hard to get to that point. Maybe even don't focus on a bf percentage. How about focussing on getting the body that makes you feel happy, that makes you feel good? Cut until you get down to a healthier weight then start building up muscle.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post

Absolutely agreed.^^
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)