Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jeep01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Help me get stronger!

I need some tips on how to strengthen my chest. I can currently do sets of dumbbell presses up to about 65 lbs and that's doing 7 reps. For the bench the most I've done is like 130 lbs!

My workout routine is usually 3-4 sets of increasing weight with 7 reps. How do I increase strength? My arms are getting stinger but my chest seems to stagnate.

My chest workout consists of flat bench, incline and decline bench presses, flat dumbbell presses (3 sets of 7 increasing weight), flat flys (3 sets of 7 same weight),chin ups and push ups I do 3 sets of 7 reps. Could this be the issue? Any tips would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Jeep01; 12-31-2012 at 10:30 AM.

MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscledHorse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Several things:
    1) If you are doing all that every lift I think the word "over training" applies here.
    2) If you are doing the same things every time and/or in the same order you are stagnating becasue your body has adapted and knows what to expect every lift.
    3) Mix it up and do some compound movements and dumbbel movements each lift but not both types of all three chest areas.
    4) Also mix it up by varying sets and reps (higher reps at lower weight to build endurance and lower reps at higher strength to take the endurance and build strength off it, maybe even throw in a set of rest-pause barbell bench press on occasion, too (have a spotter for it for sure)).

Remember, building your muscles and body is not about how much weight you can do, which always seems to be the sole focus of high school/early college guys. Focus on development and the strength will come with it. Also be sure to feed your muscles right after the lift wit a good shot of protein and carbs (I personally recommend CytoGainer chocolate flavor as it is high in both but very low in sugar)
    You want to fly faster and further but Perfection cannot be plotted because every chart or graph is a limitation. Perfect speed, my son, is being there. You must stop seeing yourself as a limited gull with a 42" wingspan. -- Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Always do your best, be impeccable with your word, don't take things personally and don't make assumptions. -- The Four Agreements

Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MuscledHorse View Post
    1) If you are doing all that every lift I think the word "over training" applies here.
    plsgo

IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) IceJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's weird. For DB Bench I get 55's x 8. For BB Bench I can max out at 145-150ish.

The thing I would say for you is probably don't worry about reps so much. Just push yourself and go heavy and your chest will grow and get stronger.
    Current Stats:
    Weight: 161 lbs
    Bench: 160 x 1
    Squat: 265 x 1
    Deadlift: 275 x 1
    Rack Pulls: 305 x 10
    Rows: 145 x 6
    OH Press: 105 x 2

DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Jeep01 View Post
    I need some tips on how to strengthen my chest. I can currently do sets of dumbbell presses up to about 65 lbs and that's doing 7 reps. For the bench the most I've done is like 130 lbs!

My workout routine is usually 3-4 sets of increasing weight with 7 reps. How do I increase strength? My arms are getting stinger but my chest seems to stagnate.

My chest workout consists of flat bench, incline and decline bench presses, flat dumbbell presses (3 sets of 7 increasing weight), flat flys (3 sets of 7 same weight),chin ups and push ups I do 3 sets of 7 reps. Could this be the issue? Any tips would be appreciated!
    Ive been following a Flex magazine routine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l2TOfEVjSE

Working for me