Thread: hello :)

Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation hello :)

Hey there,
    I'm Matt, 15 from California. I'm 6'1.5, and 200lbs. I'm a pretty 'big' guy, but I don't have true muscle, mostly big bones and fat. People tell me that I'm 'built like a Mack truck,' dunno if that's a compliment or insult :P

I really want to get rid of the fat, and make it muscle, but I don't know where to start. I've tried dieting, no dice. I'm right handed and I injured my right elbow badly last year, shattered it in a lacrosse accident. In football training, my weights were:

150lbs squat
    150lbs bench

i had started football weightlifting, and those weights noted were a week into training. That week was also the week of my lax accident

So this is my story, thank you for reading, please help out when anyone gets the chance!

Thanks,
    Matt

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy phone

Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Oggie22's Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163231711

Starting stats: 137lbs @ 5'11

Injury count: Over 9000

Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mattn777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's pretty helpful, but I'm faced with a dilemma: I can't really afford my local gyms. No ymca's, etc are near me either. They all charge well over $150 a month, and the school gym is closed on weekends and after school. Id like to get as 6 pack and some stronger arms first of all. My legs are quite strong actually, I was able to breach a locked door in Army Combatives class, I'm kinda un proportionately strong i guess.

Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well if you're more focused on losing weight than gaining muscle, you can do that without the gym. Read through the nutrition article I linked, lose the weight you want to lose and in the mean time save up for a membership, or maybe even a home gym.
    All you need is a barbell, free weights, a bench and a power cage.

You can perform push-ups and pull-ups until then if possible, to at least add a bit of mass to your arms before you start lifting.

The six-pack should come along with weight loss, since abs are more about bodyfat% than the actual size of them.

I don't want to only lose weight,.I want to be in the best physical shape I can practically get into. Would pull ups and xc running with weights build any muscle? Until I can get the needed equipment? And how long does it usually take to notice muscle being built?

Thanks, Matt

Originally Posted by Mattn777 View Post
    I don't want to only lose weight,.I want to be in the best physical shape I can practically get into. Would pull ups and xc running with weights build any muscle? Until I can get the needed equipment? And how long does it usually take to notice muscle being built?
    Pull-ups, Push-ups, bodyweight Squats and planks are probably your best bet for bodyweight exercises. Running with resistance is good too. It'll definitely build some muscle if your diet is good.
    It takes about 3 months of lifting before you'll see a decent change in your physique. Don't get discouraged if you don't see results quickly, just stay dedicated and eventually you'll see some epic results.

Also, if you're able to perform an upside-down shoulder press, that's a really good exercise to do as well.

DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thanks, Matt
    As others have suggested, stick to bodyweight movements at home, and if you're looking to get in shape, then running on the streets if you cant afford the gym.

Push ups, pull ups, squats, planks, crunches, reverse crunches, lunges, running / jogging in the street will all help build up a level of fitness. This should do whenever you can't get to your school gym.

As for noticing muscle, it could take anywhere from say 6 weeks to longer, depending on your training, BF etc. You will firstly notice your strength and fitness gains, which if you're playing football will be more important than looks.

ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProteinEqBIG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks, Matt
    Matt first of all you've done well reaching out! But dude muscularity comes from hard work and strict diet. I live in a very remote town and finding equipment and weights is nearly impossible. But I've found through researching Calisthenic and Plyometric workouts (Core, Push/Pull ups etc) I have changed my body completely. We have different goals obviously, but our drive is the same, getting strong and looking great.

IMO, start by losing weight. Turning fat into muscle is a fallacy, a myth. You need to tightening your diet up, eat 6-8 times (small meals, no simple carbs or fatty crap ever!!!!!) forget the word "taste" and only ever associate what you're eating with how good it is doing for your body. Once you beat your diet, your 80% there bro. A guy your size will grow quickly trust me, its genetics no one can deny it.

Let me finish with a bit of personal truth, I'm heaps jelly of you and your thirst for a strong and aesthetic body at only 15. I was too busy drinking and acting like a dikhed and trust me I regretted it in my early 20's. But this is your opportunity bra run with it! Show anybody that doubts you that they're just jealous of your determination, by succeeding!

PM me if you want to know anything more Id love to give a young dude a bit of guidance. Eat Clean, Train Dirty, Live Strong!
    Weight+Form+Sweat+Protein=MUSCLE!!

Currently Weighing - 86 kg (190 lb)

Bench - 140kg (300 lb)
    Dead - 220kg (484 lb)
    Squat - 200kg (440 lb)

Don't rip on Fattys or Laugh at Skinnys! Just STFU & TRAIN- Talk S$&T Get Hit!

Thanks for all the great input guys, I'm getting an OK workout in Combatives, but it's nothing that really "builds" muscle, mostly running, long distance swimming, speedhiking, and carrying other people

Regarding diet, I've heard "eat tons of protein," but won't you get high cholesterol from constantly eating red meat? I have heart disease in my family heirarchy, so I REALLY don't want to end up in the hospital and have stents put in me from a heart attack, because I was trying to work out to PREVENT a heart attack! Any insight?

@ProteinEQBIG, I'll PM you later. Typing long messages on my phone is a pain, I'll be back home later today

Thanks a lot,
    Matt

Sorry can't edit my post, search this on google, it's a nike ad: LsXRj89cWa0
    Doesn't let me post links :\

Thanks for all the great input guys, I'm getting an OK workout in Combatives, but it's nothing that really "builds" muscle, mostly running, long distance swimming, speedhiking, and carrying other people

Regarding diet, I've heard "eat tons of protein," but won't you get high cholesterol from constantly eating red meat? I have heart disease in my family heirarchy, so I REALLY don't want to end up in the hospital and have stents put in me from a heart attack, because I was trying to work out to PREVENT a heart attack! Any insight?

@ProteinEQBIG, I'll PM you later. Typing long messages on my phone is a pain, I'll be back home later today

Thanks a lot,
    Matt
    You'll want around 200g a day, at least 160g.
    Tuna (in water), chicken, egg whites and protein powder shouldn't affect your cholesterol too much.

Is tuna or salmon better?
    My Motivation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_822718&feature=iv&src_vid=2JnYcuRW_qo&v=fsQaRBh1e9k

Is tuna or salmon better?
    Both are good.