Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    [x] High on BeetRoot DesertDude11's Avatar
    DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Is 2 lbs a week too much to lose?

Gonna go for the bodybuilding.com transformation contest in weight loss. My goal weight is 190 which would be 27 lbs in 12 weeks or a little over 2 lbs a week. I hope I can make it but have heard that losing 2+ lbs a week can be risky... most of my noob weight has already been lost (about 20 lbs) so I don't think I can expect crazy fast results. Plus I will still be weight training like crazy... has anyone here had success losing 2 lbs a week?
    Luceo non uro - "I shine not burn"

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe.
    You will most likely loose more weight at the start of your transformation and then slow down as your body adjusts.
    As this is a transformation contest you should be more concerned on how you are looking.
    Youve already lost a good amount, consider trying to gain some muscle while losing fat which can be difficult and confusing.
    You need to get body fat percentages measured every week to see if your on target.
    Two pounds a week is doable but there may be and probably muscle loss with it.
    IMO the slower you can lose weight(body fat) the more muscle you will retain while on your program.

Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I really have been having good luck staying just over a pound a week lost. I'm down 20 pounds right now.Totally painless and my lifts are still going up. I feel weak when I go much above that small loss.

DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am willing to lose some muscle for a short period of time, esp since it is for a contest. It bothers me a lot to think of losing muscle and strength but I really feel that I need to cut my fat out completely first. IMO, its way more unhealthy to have an excess of fat.

My strategy is to keep my calories and macros where they are currently 2200/cal day 40%/40%/20% = 220g Carb / 220g Protien / 49g Fat (which has been working so far) and up the cardio to minimum of 4 days a week for 30-45 minutes (4-600 cal).

I considered trying a fat burn supplement but am kind of reluctant...

tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10) tribeless is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been losing 2+ pounds per week since July of this year. My calorie intake has been 2285 and my macros have been 200g protein, 89g fat, and 171g carbs per day. I'd say I've lost some muscle and definitely strength. My lifts are down about 5-8% weight wise. But I started fairly overweight so I had the fat to lose. Needless to say, my goal for the year has been reached. On the first of the new year, I'm gonna change my nutrition requirements to lose about a pound a week until I hit 10% or so bodyfat and then go on my first bulk. HTH

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)

screw the contest.

Originally Posted by DesertDude11 View Post
    I am willing to lose some muscle for a short period of time, esp since it is for a contest. It bothers me a lot to think of losing muscle and strength but I really feel that I need to cut my fat out completely first. IMO, its way more unhealthy to have an excess of fat.
    Your goals are your goals so I'm not going to tell you what to do but I think you should consider your long term goals. Muscle can be hard to come by, in addition it is metabolically active tissue and will help you with fat loss. I wouldn't sacrifice muscle to reach a certain number on a scale at a time that may not be in your best interest. Slower progress is still progress and you will look better with more muscle mass when you get there. I agree that losing fat is what you need to do but think you should do it in a way that is sustainable over the long haul. Good job so far and good luck in the future.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Run a plan not a number on a scale. The judges won't weigh you they will look at your pictures. Don't get stupid and go crash diet. These contests have 3x the entrants as finisher because people go all aggro and burn out, or won't post final pics because they are all stringy and washed out.

Holding muscle is more important than losing fat, unless you have tons of muscle and are close enough now to be ripped at the end. Most of those guys aren't looking to lose 30 in 12 weeks even if their e-stats say so..

You probably read this nutrition thread at some point?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...03981&page=194
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gonna go for the bodybuilding.com transformation contest in weight loss. My goal weight is 190 which would be 27 lbs in 12 weeks or a little over 2 lbs a week. I hope I can make it but have heard that losing 2+ lbs a week can be risky... most of my noob weight has already been lost (about 20 lbs) so I don't think I can expect crazy fast results. Plus I will still be weight training like crazy... has anyone here had success losing 2 lbs a week?
    Did something similar at work a few years ago. Had lost 17lb and a few friends wanted to do a 12 week challenge. I ended up losing on average 3.3lb a week by going low carb. At that time I didn't care about losing muscle either, but looking back it ended up being a big mistake for me. This time I'm going for a much slower weight reduction after building up my strength for 2 years. I'm not saying not to do it, just pay attention so you don't lose too much muscle mass.
    I rep back!

6'3" SW: 301 CW: 237 GW: 200 10% BF

I appreciate everyone's input!

I'm going to keep my calories and macro's pretty much where they are for now. Focus on nutrition and diet and see where that takes me. Cardio X 4/wk, 4 day workout split and work a few days a week climbing trees. No booze for the 12 weeks and I should be good... If I lose too much strength, I will take a look at my diet.

Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm averaging 2.5 pounds a week for the last 5 weeks. My macros are slightly different than yours, basically a bit more protein and a little less carbs. I'm doing no cardio currently but will add in sprints when I start to stall. I'd suggest you cut out the low intensity cardio as well if you are looking to maintain physique.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Based on your stated goals I think that 2 pounds per week will work for you. Keep your protein intake up and your fat at least .5g per pound and you should be OK. Just keep lifting heavy in order to send the message to your body that you cannot spare muscle for energy.
    David

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Based on your stated goals I think that 2 pounds per week will work for you. Keep your protein intake up and your fat at least .5g per pound and you should be OK. Just keep lifting heavy in order to send the message to your body that you cannot spare muscle for energy.
    I should have just typed this^^^^^

Good luck DesertDude.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

I know that you do not have to be afraid of fat to burn it but isn't that kind of a lot of fat per day? A lot of the time, I have a hard time hitting that macro...

It would look more like:

C- 110g (20%)
    P- 220g (40%)
    F- 98g (40%)

Does that seem right to you?

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    I should have just typed this^^^^^

Good luck DesertDude.
    Thanks EjnarKolinkar, I am looking forward to the challenge!

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I know that you do not have to be afraid of fat to burn it but isn't that kind of a lot of fat per day? A lot of the time, I have a hard time hitting that macro...

It would look more like:

C- 110g (20%)
    P- 220g (40%)
    F- 98g (40%)

Does that seem right to you?
    OK... based on 2200 cals, I would bump up your carbs to about 150g and your fat down to about 80g. YMMV
    David

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OK... based on 2200 cals, I would bump up your carbs to about 150g and your fat down to about 80g. YMMV

Great advice. Totally agree.

On the 2llbs per week. The more fat you have the greater rate you can lose it. At your current weight, that is less then 1% per week. That is do-able. As you start dipping towards 200 and especially under 200 I think you will do well to slow it down a little.

At my weight, (when I am in the 200-210 range) I start at 1.5lb per week. By the time I hit 200, I drop to about 1lb, and below that I taper down to .75 and down to .5lb now.

Anyway....take-away being,...you can stay at 2lbs right now, but may need to pull back a little as you lean out some. If I remember your pics you posted, you will probably be in the low 170's high 160's at 10% range. Not sure how low you plan on going....but I think it is safe to say you can do the 2lb thing for a little while. At least to through the first 30+ lbs or so down to about 190. Below that I would definitely pull back some.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What was your rate of loss during the initial 20lb drop? How long ago was that?

You've gotten great advice; good luck!
    Genshai

Originally Posted by Tifflex View Post
    What was your rate of loss during the initial 20lb drop? How long ago was that?

You've gotten great advice; good luck!
    I agree, and am really grateful!

Sept through Nov, about a pound a week... just half assing it, not really trying too hard... drinking a lot of beer and pizza bingeing on the weekends...

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post

On the 2llbs per week. The more fat you have the greater rate you can lose it. At your current weight, that is less then 1% per week. That is do-able. As you start dipping towards 200 and especially under 200 I think you will do well to slow it down a little.

At my weight, (when I am in the 200-210 range) I start at 1.5lb per week. By the time I hit 200, I drop to about 1lb, and below that I taper down to .75 and down to .5lb now.

Anyway....take-away being,...you can stay at 2lbs right now, but may need to pull back a little as you lean out some. If I remember your pics you posted, you will probably be in the low 170's high 160's at 10% range. Not sure how low you plan on going....but I think it is safe to say you can do the 2lb thing for a little while. At least to through the first 30+ lbs or so down to about 190. Below that I would definitely pull back some.
    I know you hate the "Big boned" thing but if I get down to 160-70 I will look like a crack head! My goal is 190 and I have no idea what to expect for body fat %... I am thinking about going to one of those Bod Pod places and getting measured. I understand that they are about as accurate as you can get... Since you have last seen my pics, I have put on a bit more muscle... I will have more up after the 1st of the year.

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree, and am really grateful!

Sept through Nov, about a pound a week... just half assing it, not really trying too hard... drinking a lot of beer and pizza bingeing on the weekends...
    Gotcha. Keep us posted!
    Genshai

Roger that... BTW, what does YMMV mean?

Roger that... BTW, what does YMMV mean?
    your mileage may vary
    David

RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobertD2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post

. The more fat you have the greater rate you can lose it. .
    What he said. For a big guy with excess fat 2lbs is nothing . For a lean smaller guy it's way too much.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I targeted that on a 4 week run of a liquid PSMF diet and the results were fantastic. Prior to that I had stalled on slow weight loss and I didn't want to waste more time dieting.

One of the big criticisms I got was "You'll gain it back". I only wish as it has been almost 3 months and I've only gained back 1-2 pounds on a surplus. I'm reevaluating my caloric needs now.

Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    I targeted that on a 4 week run of a liquid PSMF diet and the results were fantastic. Prior to that I had stalled on slow weight loss and I didn't want to waste more time dieting.

One of the big criticisms I got was "You'll gain it back". I only wish as it has been almost 3 months and I've only gained back 1-2 pounds on a surplus. I'm reevaluating my caloric needs now.
    Awesome!

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Awesome!
    Protein pancakes will help.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Protein pancakes will help.
    HA! doooooood! Those damn things are AWESOME! lol

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by michail71 View Post

Interesting. Did you follow the protocol of Lyle McDonald?.. I actually was thinking of trying that at some point just for the hell of it.
    RAW lifts

I know you hate the "Big boned" thing but if I get down to 160-70 I will look like a crack head! My goal is 190 and I have no idea what to expect for body fat %... I am thinking about going to one of those Bod Pod places and getting measured. I understand that they are about as accurate as you can get... Since you have last seen my pics, I have put on a bit more muscle... I will have more up after the 1st of the year.

Fair enough..... I will make a friendly wager with you. . When you get down to 180-190 range, then you can really see your physique a little better, you tell me whether you are still "big boned" or if it was an illusion created by the way you were carrying fat.

If I am right, please take up the torch and educate others that there really is no such thing as "big boned".

BTW....there is such a thing as different frame sizes, but generally larger frames can carry a lot more muscle. What is your wrist diameter (at smallest part) and ankle?

Good luck man....I really hope you do well moving forward. You would not be the first person to have misconceptions about their body. I too was in your shoes for many years. I was convinced that I was a lot bigger then I thought. It was not until I actually dieted (the right way for the first time in my life). I went from 205 down to 178. Now you say 178 is tiny....but at 178 I had 17+" arms and close to a 50 " chest with a 31" waist. I remember you posted what your measurements were....and if at 220 your arms are only 16" range....you are not carrying nearly as much muscle as you think. (no hate....as I have said, I was there too). Dont worry about the scale and drop preconceived notions of what scale weight means.
    RAW lifts

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dude, just get the weight off, listen to Id.. I wish I had listened to him in the first place last year.