gmcf123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What the heck is going on?

I'm not sure what information everyone needs to give me a good answer, so if I go TMI, I apologize. Woman, 46 yrs young. My scale says 167 lbs and 44% fat. I am a runner, mostly 5k and 1/2 marathon. Several years ago I gained 20lbs when I quit smoking and my fat has been creeping up. Everything says build muscle...so a few months ago I started lifting weights. Currently I am following the Jamie Eason plan and am in week 7. I know I have gained muscle because I can lift more than when I started. I know 90% of weight loss is eating and I am working on it. I do not have all my macros to list but have started logging in mynetdiary. I have started using protein powder in my morning smoothie and mixing the bcaa powder in my just out of bed glass of water.

So my weight keeps fluctuating but is remaining pretty steady. My fat % has gone up 2 % since I started working out. You can see my frustration, I am doing this to lower my fat and get strong, etc. Am I inadvertently bulking? How do switch this around?

Any and all help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What is your estimated TDEE, and what are your macro goals, vs your tracked consumption?
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmccurdy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First never trust your bathroom scale for bodyfat %. I have one, and even in the manual it says its accuracy is +/- 5%. So when mine says I have 20% bf I know its really more like somewhere between 15 - 25%. I would suggest going by how you look in the mirror and with your diet, make sure you are measuring, weighing, and tracking everything.

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    What is your estimated TDEE, and what are your macro goals, vs your tracked consumption?
    That is another big issue. I printed out the sticky that talks about figuring all those numbers out last night. I calculated a huge number that can't possibly be correct. It is way higher that mynetdiary says and way higher than I have been eating at. I was going to try and do it again before I asked someone to do my math homework for me.

Originally Posted by bmccurdy View Post
    First never trust your bathroom scale for bodyfat %. I have one, and even in the manual it says its accuracy is +/- 5%. So when mine says I have 20% bf I know its really more like somewhere between 15 - 25%. I would suggest going by how you look in the mirror and with your diet, make sure you are measuring, weighing, and tracking everything.
    I do know I am stronger but don't necessarily see it. I can feel a small walnut muscle in my bicep now. As far as clothes and such, I don't really notice any changes yet. I am concerned I am making myself bigger instead of smaller.

[x] High on BeetRoot DesertDude11's Avatar
    DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DesertDude11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have had a lot of trouble dropping weight since I quit smoking as well. I truly believe that our metabolisms are whacked as a result of years of nicotine stimulation! Either that or we have an altered self image when it comes to weight loss. (I used to be able to lose weight no problem... just smoke instead of eat! lol).

If I were you, I would enter in a "Sedentary Lifestyle" as your daily activity level no matter what you feel you really do when you are determining your maintenance calories. Then subtract 300-500. Try that for 2 weeks.

Check these common problem areas too:

-Alcohol. Hard to track and it has been said that alcohol inhibits fat burning.
    -Sauces, dressings and marinades. They are LOADED with calories and sodium.
    -Sodium, wheat, corn and other inflammatory items. They will make you hold water weight.
    -Eating late. Don't eat 2-3 hours before bed and if you need a snack, only eat protein.

If none of these ring true, get tested by your doctor.

Good luck!
    Luceo non uro - "I shine not burn"

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Emma-Leigh's Calorie and Macronutrient Thread

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Originally Posted by DesertDude11 View Post
    I have had a lot of trouble dropping weight since I quit smoking as well. I truly believe that our metabolisms are whacked as a result of years of nicotine stimulation! Either that or we have an altered self image when it comes to weight loss. (I used to be able to lose weight no problem... just smoke instead of eat! lol).

If I were you, I would enter in a "Sedentary Lifestyle" as your daily activity level no matter what you feel you really do when you are determining your maintenance calories. Then subtract 300-500. Try that for 2 weeks.

Check these common problem areas too:

-Alcohol. Hard to track and it has been said that alcohol inhibits fat burning.
    -Sauces, dressings and marinades. They are LOADED with calories and sodium.
    -Sodium, wheat, corn and other inflammatory items. They will make you hold water weight.
    -Eating late. Don't eat 2-3 hours before bed and if you need a snack, only eat protein.

If none of these ring true, get tested by your doctor.

Good luck!
    Yes, I used sedetary. I must have miscalculated. Thanks for all the tips.

ambes01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A split second later and you realize: they're hidden in the planet's shadow. But it turns out that's not the only thing interesting about this photograph. Over at Bad Astronomy, Phil Plait has pointed out several other things that make this view of Saturn particularly noteworthy, including the planet's wonky.

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Like others have said, don't go by the bf measurement of ur scale-the numbers fluctuate according to how hydrated u r if ur using a bioelectrical impedance type of scale. Even calipers would give u more accurate results.

Uve been lifting for only a few months. Strength and muscle gain are two different things. Taking bcaas and protein doesn't guarantee muscle mass gains. U need to eat at a surplus, lift and rest. At this juncture I'd feel comfortable saying that ur not packing on the mass. U may have made a muscle to fat ratio exchange. For most women adding mass is difficult and even on a clean bulk a quarter to half lb gain a week is the norm. There is something to be said about newbie gains but u did not disclose ur macros or lifting program, and how much running ur doing if ur still doing it. Possibly ur not eating enough to support the running and lifting.

About smoking - yup once u quit or metabolism slows down. Also probably unwittingly, ur eating more now as smokers generally eat less than their nonsmoking counterparts.

And there's the age thing. I am guessing ur not menopausal but even in peri menopause some women experience hormonal changes that screw with their ability to lose weight and also they'll begin gaining or redistributing weight differently.

Finally - don't give up! Knowledge is power. U can do this!
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501