Cornwill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Calorie And Carb Intake For Lean Gains?

I have weight trained on and off over the past few years but finally decided to take the diet side of things seriously along with the training. I am 5'9 (170cm) and weigh 200pounds (90kilos) with a BF % of roughly 15-18% at 20 years of age. Currently I am trying to gain lean mass, so increase size/strength without gaining fat. I train 5 times a week Monday to Friday.

Currently I am consuming 200-250g of protein and have calculated my calorie usage to be 3000 per day but I'm unsure of what foods I should be eating to reach this number. Also hearing a lot of different things as to how many carbs I should intake per day with my goal being lean gains. I also have an understanding that each gram of protein or carb equals roughly 4 calories, so by default I'll be knocking off protein x 4 + carbs x 4 of my daily calorie intake.

So my main questions are,

What foods should I be consuming to meet my calorie goal and should I be going over or under my 3000 daily used for lean gains?
    How many carbs should I be consuming daily for lean gains?

Please add any other knowledge that would be useful to me, id be thankful.
    Last edited by Cornwill; 12-29-2012 at 04:37 AM.

jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jibzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This link should help mate

http://examine.com/leangains-faq/#summary8

Thanks man, was an interesting read. Still lookin for other peoples takes on it.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS FUK YEA MAGnitude's Avatar
    MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jibzz View Post
    lol.

IF/LEANGAINS is no more beneficial than any other eating plan, whether that be eating 6 meals a day, 100 meals a day, 1 meal a day or whatsoever. meal timing is irrelevant, what is relevant is hitting the correct macro. SIMPLE.

People adopt different eating patterns as a matter of personal preference, not because of the 'beneficial results' one has over the other, because they dont exist.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

GO THE CANUCKS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Your lean gain outcome will come down to the amount of a surplus your eating...Seeing your around 15-18 percent bodyfat now a lean bulk would be best, that or a cut. To do so you NEED to find out your maintence calories which will take some trial and error. Once you've found this out shoot to go over 200 to 400 calories daily. The reason why many people get too fat off a bulk is because they over shoot their maintence WAY over what they need to build LBM. Only a small surplus is needed as mentioned...of coarse eating more than that will make you gain weight faster but your trying to LEAN bulk. Unfortunatly being in any kind of a surplus of calories means the possibility of fat gain is there. Accept that! The human body can only gain so much LBM so fast so don't rush it. Now as for Marcos or your carbs. Most important thing to do after you've found out your maintence calories and have added a surplus is to figure out how you going to fill them. First things first..Fill you fat cals with the min requirment. I like to go by .45 x body weight. That's your fat macro..Then do 1 x body weight..that's your protein macro...Now fill the rest up with carbs however you like. (ill always preach eating clean so complex carbs will always be my anwser ex: whole grains, sprouted grain, oat meal wheats etc) The amount will be based of the amount of space left after adding both prior macros up and the amount of surplus your allowing your self. REMEMBER...LBM gains are ultimately determined by a SURPLUS OF CALORIES. Don't ever over think that. Hope this helped.

So basically my carb intake should be Daily Calories - Fats x 9 - Protein x 4 = Remaining calories divided by 4? That would leave me with roughly 300g of carbs.. To me that seems awfully high.

DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeadliftDOMS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Cornwill View Post
    So basically my carb intake should be Daily Calories - Fats x 9 - Protein x 4 = Remaining calories divided by 4? That would leave me with roughly 300g of carbs.. To me that seems awfully high.
    Why do you think that's high?....I'm 157 lbs currently eating a maintence of a little over 2500 calories per day( I know this from trial and error). My current macros are 266 grams carbs 188 grams protein and 80 grams of fat.after you figure out the MINIMUMS for fat and protein I always fill the rest with carbs,..if at that point for some reasone you like eating protein or fat more than carbs you can subtract some carbs and add to fat or protein or both...remember my weight and I'm only maintaining my weight...Calories in verse calories out<<< this is what you need to pay the closest attention too. I wouldn't lie to you man. Hope I've helped you out.
    Last edited by DeadliftDOMS; 12-29-2012 at 04:54 PM.

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Cornwill View Post
    I have weight trained on and off over the past few years but finally decided to take the diet side of things seriously along with the training. I am 5'9 (170cm) and weigh 200pounds (90kilos) with a BF % of roughly 15-18% at 20 years of age. Currently I am trying to gain lean mass, so increase size/strength without gaining fat. I train 5 times a week Monday to Friday.

Currently I am consuming 200-250g of protein and have calculated my calorie usage to be 3000 per day but I'm unsure of what foods I should be eating to reach this number. Also hearing a lot of different things as to how many carbs I should intake per day with my goal being lean gains. I also have an understanding that each gram of protein or carb equals roughly 4 calories, so by default I'll be knocking off protein x 4 + carbs x 4 of my daily calorie intake.

So my main questions are,

What foods should I be consuming to meet my calorie goal and should I be going over or under my 3000 daily used for lean gains?
    How many carbs should I be consuming daily for lean gains?

Please add any other knowledge that would be useful to me, id be thankful.
    Please start here!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981