Thread: Stuck in a rut

magus788 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stuck in a rut

ive been lifting for 4 years now, gone from 160lbs to 210 lbs and seem to hit a wall with my workouts. i just turned 30 this past summer and dont know if my age is slowing my progress. its just bothersome not to have improved on my weight i lift for the past 3 months. i take my 420g protien a day, my creatine and multi-vitamins, etc. and still no progress. anyone else have the same problem?

coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by magus788 View Post
    ive been lifting for 4 years now, gone from 160lbs to 210 lbs and seem to hit a wall with my workouts. i just turned 30 this past summer and dont know if my age is slowing my progress. its just bothersome not to have improved on my weight i lift for the past 3 months. i take my 420g protien a day, my creatine and multi-vitamins, etc. and still no progress. anyone else have the same problem?
    What is the rest of your diet and routine like? Are you taking whey or a meal replacement? It could be just a string of small things you aren't doing consistently that add up over time. Your age isn't a factor. I know guys in their 40s that look and feel better than they did in their 20s. Don't even think about that! You can message me if you need to type a lot.

leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) leroylavey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey magus788,

You definitely been lifting longer than I have so you probably know more than me but in my opinion it seems like you need to periodize your routines or manipulate different training variables. For instance you can change the rep ranges from a power set into a hypertrophy set or your can do slow negatives, you can pause at the top or bottom when lifting, you can increase the tempo or lifting speed, change your routine, take a deload week etc.

As you can see there are many ways you can manipulate training variables. Your body probably adapted to your routine causing you to plateau. Try Layne Norton's P.H.A.T routine. Stands for Power, Hypertrophy, Adaptive , Training. It mixes powerlifting and bodybuilding style workouts. Google it.

And I agree with the earliler poster, your age doesn't play that much of a big deal. Look at frank zane when he was 65. Then again it's another thing to not want to compare yourself with other people's physiques.
    "Your body is the mirror of your mind"

www.MuscleInTheMaking.com

magus788 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my routine ive kinda put it together over the years. i usually lift for 2 and half hours. focusing on 2 muscle groups each day. bis/tris, chest/back, shoulders/traps, legs/cardio, Abbs/cardio, and on the 6th day i switch in a non-cardio day that cycles each week. I also throw in 1 abb workout each day. i have 2 different workout routines for each day that i swap each week so i dont do the same one 2 weeks in a row. each day has 4 workouts for each muscle so i do 8 total workouts each day. then off mondays. as far as my diet goes its not an awesome diet but its not bad i steer clear of junkfood and sodas. dont eat too laet or skip meals. and try to stay on a 40/40/20 diet (40% carbs, 40% protien and 20% fats) im an older dude with 3 kids so i cant afford the pricy fat burners and supplements. My "stash" of supplements runs me about 120$ a month its like 2 5lb containers of whey, 1 bottle of creatine, 1 pre workout (that i cycle between 3), and multi-vitamins.

coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my routine ive kinda put it together over the years. i usually lift for 2 and half hours. focusing on 2 muscle groups each day. bis/tris, chest/back, shoulders/traps, legs/cardio, Abbs/cardio, and on the 6th day i switch in a non-cardio day that cycles each week. I also throw in 1 abb workout each day. i have 2 different workout routines for each day that i swap each week so i dont do the same one 2 weeks in a row. each day has 4 workouts for each muscle so i do 8 total workouts each day. then off mondays. as far as my diet goes its not an awesome diet but its not bad i steer clear of junkfood and sodas. dont eat too laet or skip meals. and try to stay on a 40/40/20 diet (40% carbs, 40% protien and 20% fats) im an older dude with 3 kids so i cant afford the pricy fat burners and supplements. My "stash" of supplements runs me about 120$ a month its like 2 5lb containers of whey, 1 bottle of creatine, 1 pre workout (that i cycle between 3), and multi-vitamins.
    Two and a half hours each day seems like a long time. I think you'd benefit if you decreased your rest periods and upped the intensity. You don't need fat burners...I dropped 26 pounds last year with no supplements besides whey protein. Do you do cardio?