gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Unhappy So close yet so far while doing everything right! Need advice!!

Hello,

I'm 21 and used to be 320lbs and through a year and a half of diet and exercise I'm now about 198 lbs (6'2 height).

My arms and legs (especially legs) are now very cut and defined, but my torso still has a lot of fat. I can't seem to get my waist under 38 inches and I'm really sick of it and my moobs because I think I'm doing everything right. Here is a quick rundown:

• Eating 200g-220g of protein
    • Eating 270g-300g of carbs
    • Eating 20g-30g of fat
    • Only time I eat simple carbs is post exercise
    • The carbs are primarily brown rice, whole grain spaghetti, and apples/bananas
    • At least half of the protein is chicken breast (so lean meat protein)
    • Taking vitamin C (1g post workout and 2g spread throughout the day)
    • Taking multivitamin

My workout routine is:
    Day 1) HIIT
    Day 2) Weight training - back
    Day 3) HIIT
    Day 4) Weight training - chest, shoulders
    Day 5) HIIT
    Day 6) Weight training - arms

I don't do a leg day because they are obviously getting enough work from all of that HIIT.

Despite my exercise and calorie deficit (according to my log in which I track my calories I eat about 2000-2200 a day) I have been gaining a noticeable amount of muscle but not losing any torso fat. I find it very hard to believe I am in a calorie surplus given my size and activity level and that I'm usually pretty hungry when I eat.

I've been doing this specific routine for a few weeks and as a side note I'm sure that I have a fat problem and not a loose skin problem.

Anyone have ideas on what's going on? It's extremely frustrating and depressing

matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Only thing that really matters is total energy intake v total energy expenditure. Your diet is deficient in fat. You are eating too much, do you weigh everything you eat? Also, you should be training legs unless you're going for that Johnny Bravo look.
    R.I.P urukhai29, sentinel3, AncientYouth.

"Eating chips and cookies and drinking soda is just like wandering through life. These are the agents of a purposeless existence. Avocados, turkey burgers, brown rice and eggs etc are the agents of a purposeful existence." - orderoutofchaos, The Internet, 2014

2 Kings 2:23-24

gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by matman1813 View Post
    Only thing that really matters is total energy intake v total energy expenditure. Your diet is deficient in fat. You are eating too much, do you weigh everything you eat? Also, you should be training legs unless you're going for that Johnny Bravo look.
    Yeah I weigh everything with an electronic scale so it's pretty accurate. Also, as I said, I've put on a noticeable amount of muscle. This includes legs, they've bulked up from HIIT and I'm not the first one to get bulkier legs from it. I just don't get how someone who is 198lbs (which effects bmr) and exercises 45 minutes a day burns less than 2200 calories in a day. Doesn't make sense =/

matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I eat less than 2000 calories a day most of the time, I'm still 230lbs. How long have you been in a deficit? You do have a dietary fat deficiency though, you should up them.
    R.I.P urukhai29, sentinel3, AncientYouth.

"Eating chips and cookies and drinking soda is just like wandering through life. These are the agents of a purposeless existence. Avocados, turkey burgers, brown rice and eggs etc are the agents of a purposeful existence." - orderoutofchaos, The Internet, 2014

2 Kings 2:23-24

Yeah I guess I should add an extra egg yolk and some additional peanut butter or nuts into my diet, but I still think it's really weird that I am bulking up with a 2200 calorie diet. I'm debating adding low resistance steady state cardio on my weight training days, but I'm afraid that it will interfere with my legs' recovery thus making my body release a bunch of cortisol.

Anyone have any ideas why I'm not losing fat?

scamaro1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

You should really add some leg work besides the HIIT. Personally im a fan of squats. And how long have you been running this diet? Your body will adapt over time and you might have to change it up. Good luck

Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeddabrahh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gpalsbo View Post
    Anyone have any ideas why I'm not losing fat?
    Low fats in your diet mean your body can't produce as much testosterone which can contribute. Keto may be suitable for you
    Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder..but no one want to lift some heavy as weight.

Originally Posted by scamaro1992 View Post
    You should really add some leg work besides the HIIT. Personally im a fan of squats. And how long have you been running this diet? Your body will adapt over time and you might have to change it up. Good luck
    Been doing it for a few weeks. And the thing is my legs have definitely gotten bulkier on this plan, but I'm not totally interested in muscle building. It's nice but my first priority by a large margin is fat loss which requires fresh legs and when I do squats I get killer DOMS in my inner thighs for about 2 days. So the way I view it is that if my legs are getting bigger and they are recouped enough for HIIT then I have a good thing going for me.

Originally Posted by Jeddabrahh View Post
    Low fats in your diet mean your body can't produce as much testosterone which can contribute. Keto may be suitable for you
    Yeah I'll add more fat in my diet, I'm thinking 50g total, is that too low you think? And I tried a cyclical keto diet in the past for a few weeks, it's just not for me. I'm trying to do a lifestyle diet that I can stick with and I just enjoy my carbs too much for that to be a realistic long-term solution.

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Some thoughts:

1. Carbs are too high and fats are too low
    2. You need to add muscle mass to your quads and hamstrings through powerlifting (you're not going to add that kind of mass with HIIT)
    3. While you have added size to your arms, this is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'd add to your back and legs (as they are large muscle groups).
    4. You say you aren't interested in "muscle building", but that's how you lose fat; the more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate is (faster your metabolism is).
    5. The cardio is doing you little to no favor, and I know how ridiculous that sounds - but I would give up all that cardio for some solid powerlifting (and you'd lose weight more quickly).
    6. The DOMS gets better within days, just make it through the first week and you'll be fine.
    7. You said you are trying to make a lifestyle change, are you really planning on only eating "brown rice, whole grain spaghetti, and apples/bananas" as your carb sources? Focus on macros and calories, and start eating foods you enjoy (a lifestyle change, like you mentioned).

I lost more weight in 6 months of controlling calories and powerlifting than I did of controlling calories and 90 minutes of cardio a day (7 days a week).

Trust me when I say: squat and deadlift.

Originally Posted by unleashthelion View Post
    Some thoughts:

1. Carbs are too high and fats are too low
    2. You need to add muscle mass to your quads and hamstrings through powerlifting (you're not going to add that kind of mass with HIIT)
    3. While you have added size to your arms, this is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'd add to your back and legs (as they are large muscle groups).
    4. You say you aren't interested in "muscle building", but that's how you lose fat; the more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate is (faster your metabolism is).
    5. The cardio is doing you little to no favor, and I know how ridiculous that sounds - but I would give up all that cardio for some solid powerlifting (and you'd lose weight more quickly).
    6. The DOMS gets better within days, just make it through the first week and you'll be fine.
    7. You said you are trying to make a lifestyle change, are you really planning on only eating "brown rice, whole grain spaghetti, and apples/bananas" as your carb sources? Focus on macros and calories, and start eating foods you enjoy (a lifestyle change, like you mentioned).

I lost more weight in 6 months of controlling calories and powerlifting than I did of controlling calories and 90 minutes of cardio a day (7 days a week).

Trust me when I say: squat and deadlift.
    This advice definitely intrigues me, I'll have to do some research into powerlifting. To be honest the only things I know about it are that you keep reps in 1-6 range and that compound exercies are the ones to do, but google should enlighten me a bit more

I've been doing deadlifts on my back day and have been getting insanely fast results. After about a month I had to move up shirt sizes to XL because all of my Large shirts are too tight on my back lol (though noob gains is probably the main reason). I also notice that deadlifts get my heart pumping and sweat dripping, so I'll take your word that powerlifting can burn some nice calories.

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Oh, that's great. I didn't notice you mentioning huge gains in your back so I figured you weren't deadlifting. Powerlifting is more about the types of lifts than it is about rep ranges (I do sets in the 8-10 range, all the time). Like you noticed with deadlifting, not only is it a great workout - but the muscle you add is the real fat burner; every pound of muscle has the capacity to burn 50 calories a day. It's hard to add pounds to your arms, but it is easy to add them to your legs and back - which is why those lifts are absolutely essential for those trying to maximize their fat loss.

The only reason I am burning more calories than when I did all that cardio is that I have added pounds of muscle to my back and legs, while I am going about my day I am burning as many calories as I would've been if I did the cardio without adding the muscle.

Congrats on the transformation, man; if I sound opinionated, it's because I've made countless mistakes in the past and I'd like for you to learn from them. I thought removing the fat through sheer will power (a regimen like yours - both the eating and the exercising) was the way to go, but it all fell apart and - now - I realize a lifestyle change is the way to go (which involves me doing no cardio, powerlifting 3 days a week, and eating whatever I want within my allotted calories).

Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thrqne will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are eating way to many carbs, and your fat is way to low. If you are having problems lower your calories to 1800, make sure 75% of your carbs come from fruits, vegies, and greek yogurt. Start taking out the pasta, brown rice, etc and replace it with broccoli, onions, lettuce etc.
    My Weight Loss Journey:
    Started On Feb 2012: 310 Pounds