Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

New experiment on self...Nutrient timing....fact or fiction.

I have noticed as I have gotten leaner, how much more pronounced the effects of nutrient timing seem to be. (mainly carbs)

This goes against many studies that show timing not be be a large factor. Yet, you see most top level bodybuilders speak as to its effectiveness. You have to wonder that most studies are not done on people in any state of training or at lower bodyfat levels.

So in interest of seeing how much "bunk" there is to it, I am thinking of constructing an experiment with group of 1 ....ME!

Using a blood glucose monitor, I am thinking of deriving an experiment.

I am interested to test a few theories.

-Taking in carbs first thing AM is most efficient as your bodies insulin sensitivity is better
    -Taking in carbs post workout is effective as your bodies insulin sensitivity is greater.
    -I am also interested in testing GDA's. I have Slin-Sane and Glycobol which I will test.

I played around with my Mother-in-laws meter while she was visiting. I am going to pick one up and devise a protocol to test several of the ideas again. I will construct the experiment to eliminate as many variables as possible. Eg eating same meals, at different times and seeing the response. Or eating the same meal at same time of day, one after a workout and one without working out...etc.

I am hoping to learn a little more about my body.

Anyway...just throwing this out there and seeing what you guys think. Anyone know of anyone who has ever done this? (or am I the only idiot with too much time on their hands )
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I practice intermittent fasting, I don't eat until my afternoon workout, so this is a little different than what you're experimenting with. But, I've become pretty good at carb timing and filling out when below 8-9% . I usually keep my carbs around 165g during the week and then double up on Friday-Saturday during the summer.

Downing a few servings of these and a soda before hitting the pool or beach fills me out quickly without looking buttery...

TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    In for higher learning.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have preached and followed those theories for two decades. I'll be intersted to see your results with the monitor.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I will be interested in seeing your results.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post

This goes against many studies that show timing not be be a large factor.
    I think that most studies show that it has no effect on LBM gains, but I'm pretty sure that nutrient timing has an effect on fullness and pumps. So what exactly are you testing, the former or the latter?
    David

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    I think that most studies show that it has no effect on LBM gains, but I'm pretty sure that nutrient timing has an effect on fullness and pumps. So what exactly are you testing, the former or the latter?

Mainly I want to look as insulin sensitivity and response to high carbohydrate consumption. We are told, that it is best to consume a major portion of our carbs first thing AM and also post workout due to the increased sensitivity of insulin. I am interested to see how true this is.

If it is, I will be interested to see how far I can push the carb intake. I think this is especially important when trying to get in the max amount of carbs and stay leaner. If it shows there actually is a better time to take in the carbs, it might be possible to keep intake up, thereby maintaining performance as well as state of leanness.

As we know, insulin blunts fat burning. So keeping it lower, during higher carb consumption may help with shifting nutrient partitioning.

I am also very interested in testing GDA (glucose disposal agents). They may play an important role in re-feeding....or even planned cheats.

Wrapping this up, I want to see if there really is something to the stratagy of timing carb consumption. If so, I will carry these ideas into my next surplus and see if I can use it to stay leaner. Maybe even shift my carb cycling around even more..... I really dont know.... Just looking for some insight into if these things actually matter.
    RAW lifts

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes they do matter. Why dont you just try fasting already?

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Mainly I want to look as insulin sensitivity and response to high carbohydrate consumption. We are told, that it is best to consume a major portion of our carbs first thing AM and also post workout due to the increased sensitivity of insulin. I am interested to see how true this is.

If it is, I will be interested to see how far I can push the carb intake. I think this is especially important when trying to get in the max amount of carbs and stay leaner. If it shows there actually is a better time to take in the carbs, it might be possible to keep intake up, thereby maintaining performance as well as state of leanness.

As we know, insulin blunts fat burning. So keeping it lower, during higher carb consumption may help with shifting nutrient partitioning.

I am also very interested in testing GDA (glucose disposal agents). They may play an important role in re-feeding....or even planned cheats.

Wrapping this up, I want to see if there really is something to the stratagy of timing carb consumption. If so, I will carry these ideas into my next surplus and see if I can use it to stay leaner. Maybe even shift my carb cycling around even more..... I really dont know.... Just looking for some insight into if these things actually matter.
    I'm not a believer in that science but good luck. Whether it works or not, I'm sure that your execution and attention to detail will make it come out well.
    David

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd toss in protein too. The point of spiking insulin is to increase nutrient absorption. Insulin is merely a catalyst for active transport. The whole point of Insulin isn't to get carbs into cells, it's to get more protein in the cells (from a bodybuilding perspective). I think if you just focus solely on insulin sensitivity without a corresponding spike in protein, then it's a wasted window. Supposedly creatine is also actively transported, so post workout you could time creatine and protein.

This could be total broscience, so research it for sure. Just recalling various articles I've found on the web. I'll definitely be watching your log regardless of which route you take. Lastly, note, the more protein you take, the lower the overall gi of the spike will be, so you'll have to play with high gi carb amounts to get it right.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Originally Posted by highiso View Post
    Yes they do matter. Why dont you just try fasting already?
    I dont think I could ever run an IF diet. I believe I have been hypoglycemic my entire life. (always had the symptoms even as a child). If I go more then 3 hours without eating, I get shaky...irritable, headaches...etc. Depending upon the type of diet I am eating, it can be made worse with consumption of simple carbs.

This has been confirmed with several blood tests. My overnight fasting blood sugar has come in in the 50's several times. (bottom of the scale is 70!). My Dr says if I dont have any of the underlying causal factors, (liver disease, tumors...etc) that it could just be genetic. It never bothered me on Keto diets (which I did for over 2 years in my 20's) which makes sense as my body was always in a state of making sugars from fatty acids.

Anyway....I dont think IF is for me.... I also dont think (just from a outsiders point of view) that it is an efficient way to gain higher levels of muscle.

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    I'm not a believer in that science but good luck. Whether it works or not, I'm sure that your execution and attention to detail will make it come out well.
    I already seem to notice some differences, but I can not tell if they are in my head or not. That is why I want to test them. My PWO shake which I make with simple sugars and whey (no fat) has almost 100 g of carbs. I feel I can really tell a difference between it's consumption post workout, and carb consumption at other times.

Anyway,....just trying to learn a little something and see if there is anything to this. Obviously, if it made no difference, it would not be worth the effort. If it did however, then focusing carbs at certain times might have merit.
    RAW lifts

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    I'd toss in protein too. The point of spiking insulin is to increase nutrient absorption.

Gotcha....the protein was a given, but I did not include it and should have. My first meal of the day usually takes in 50-60g and I do 50 +/- PWO.
    RAW lifts

Definitely not for you then. Ive continued fasting thru my bulk so i wont know until i take all of the fat off if it worked well or not. Ill let you know.

mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmcdjs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by highiso View Post
    Definitely not for you then. Ive continued fasting thru my bulk so i wont know until i take all of the fat off if it worked well or not. Ill let you know.
    Wow. that would be great to know if it makes a real difference. I work everyday and try to plan my meals every 4 hours, so it would be nice to see if there would be any benefit to change what it eat at each meal.

JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Subbed. Dropped 30lbs on IF and moderate carbs (100-180g).

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd be interested in how this goes for you as well. I believe it can make a difference but don't let the kids in the nutrition section hear about this. There is a group of sheep over there that will neg the bejeesus outta ya just for mentioning the phrase "meal timing".
    ID, i am going through the same thing you did with my 12 yr old son. He needs to eat often or he turns white, gets shaky and queesey. we are seeing a nutritionist and she has helped him already but you mentioned simple carbs made it worse for you? this may be some of his issue as well because he snacks on a lot of pretzels and corn chips. I try to get some pb into him whenever I can. What other foods may be good for him?
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    or am I the only idiot with too much time on their hands

errrr.....is this a rhetorical question??

lol.....

nope, buddy, you are far from an idiot, and your "experiments" are always interesting because of your meticulous approach....

I await the results , along with you...
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

Grip it and rip it... hardNheavy2011's Avatar
    hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardNheavy2011 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I dont think I could ever run an IF diet. I believe I have been hypoglycemic my entire life. (always had the symptoms even as a child). If I go more then 3 hours without eating, I get shaky...irritable, headaches...etc. Depending upon the type of diet I am eating, it can be made worse with consumption of simple carbs.

This has been confirmed with several blood tests. My overnight fasting blood sugar has come in in the 50's several times. (bottom of the scale is 70!). My Dr says if I dont have any of the underlying causal factors, (liver disease, tumors...etc) that it could just be genetic. It never bothered me on Keto diets (which I did for over 2 years in my 20's) which makes sense as my body was always in a state of making sugars from fatty acids.

Anyway....I dont think IF is for me.... I also dont think (just from a outsiders point of view) that it is an efficient way to gain higher levels of muscle.

I was the same way until I switched over to an IF diet. It completely stopped those shaky and dizzy feelings I would get if I didn't eat every two or three hours. Plus, now I can actually enjoy life instead of worrying about timing my next meal. LOL Also, I've realized that calorie consumption pre-workout has had no effect on my strength levels. I can train on zero calories or 2000 calories and have the same quality workout. That's just me.

Almost all of my PL comps have been on an extended fast for weigh in purposes with only an hour or so to eat before I lift. Most of the time I'd just sip on chocolate milk between lifts. LOL
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #12 -!!!---!!!- Hardnheavy2011

Best competition lifts: RAW with wraps
    Squat- 623@202 611@198
    Bench- 374@203 429@222
    Deadlift- 601@203 639@228 660@220 (gym)
    Total- 1603@222 1554@202

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146556533

cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Be interested to know what info you used to research nutrient timing.

Justin Harris and Shelby Starnes have some good stuff.

Also a good read on I.F.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/1...asting-part-1/

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/1...e-fights-over/

In b4 Aragons warriors.
    "Unless you're a 14 year old girl what kind of pussy actually takes the time and effort to neg someone. Pathetic" -Author unknown