Thread: Need some help

TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Need some help

I'm 19, i'm sick of my life and i've decided to make a change and no it's not because of new years.

I've never been active, played games and skipped school which resulted in me being 140lbs without having much muscle mass.

I tried lifting 2-3 years back but lifting 15pound dumbbells and following starting strength/push up program gave me massive stretch marks

The most i can benchpress is 30-40 pounds/lbs.

I'm too embarrassed/anxious to go to the gym and feel like i'll just stop going so i've decided to just buy a home gym.

I'm on a budget so i was just wondering what the necessary equipment required to do a 5x5 split

I was also wondering if $55 for a oly 7ft bar was a good price?

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    power rack + 300lbs oly set + good quality bench. check craigslist for used.

i dunno 'bout other people but i ignore the stretchmarks ...and mine are quite bad on my arms.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    OP it would help to know a ballpark of what your budget is, but owasM pretty much outlined a good starting point. The only thing I personally would add is a set of gym rings. They're cheap and make for a very good replacement for a dip station.

Stretch marks are a badge of honor. I used to love when I saw a new one show up.

And I understand where you're coming from. My Jr year in High School I was 132 lbs and about 6-1". I started lifting in Middle School and couldn't lift very much....we all start some where, man. Just stick with it, eat, rest and you'll make gains.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TSBrah View Post
    I'm 19, i'm sick of my life and i've decided to make a change and no it's not because of new years.

I've never been active, played games and skipped school which resulted in me being 140lbs without having much muscle mass.

I tried lifting 2-3 years back but lifting 15pound dumbbells and following starting strength/push up program gave me massive stretch marks

The most i can benchpress is 30-40 pounds/lbs.

I'm too embarrassed/anxious to go to the gym and feel like i'll just stop going so i've decided to just buy a home gym.

I'm on a budget so i was just wondering what the necessary equipment required to do a 5x5 split

I was also wondering if $55 for a oly 7ft bar was a good price?
    Everyone starts somewhere. I was 132 lbs and all I had were a cheap bench and vinyl and concrete weights. I couldn't lift much more than you can now.

Buy as much used as you can. Don't be too quick to spend money on a home gym. You'll be working out longer than you are looking. And with used gear, bought at the right price, you can always sell for what you paid if not more.

Do you have 8'x10' or 10'x10' space where you live? You'll need enough room to exercise and space may be tight for you. The weights should not cost more than $150 used. Go Oly if you can. A used bench (get flat if you're tight with money) should go for $50 to $100 used. You'll also want a rack. Unless you are lucky and fast, you won't find one used -- and good -- so you may have to buy new. Body-Solid, PowerTec, Powerline, or Bodycraft. Those are the better entry point racks. Frankly, many here continue to use these racks well after they've gotten started working out at home.

Pushups, situps and pullups are your friends. Friends that will never lie to you and friends that don't cost you any money at all. They're with you anytime you have the time. Get to know them well.

Lastly, don't quit. Ever. Take a day off, sure. Deload, OK. Quit? Never.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TSBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    appreciate the responses!

Space isn't an issue, i can use the basement

Sold my gaming stuff so i have around 1k to spare for a home gym.

I would eventually like to go to a commercial gym, but right now i just think i need a home gym to see some progress without feeling overwhelmed and defeated.

So far after doing some searches, heres what i should expect to get for the 1k i have

300lbs weights + Bar: 200-225
    Power rack: 400-500
    Bench: 100
    Misc: 100
    Adjustable dumbbells when i get the cash

I would like to buy used, but how would i carry it out if it's too heavy or fit it into my van?

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    where do you live?

Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brandon0212 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bro you need to spend the extra 30 dollars a month on a gym membership. I know you might feel insecure but this is how I look at it....fuk the haters, fuk what anyone says or thinks about you. You're in there to better yourself and prove all the hating *******s wrong. Fuk what anyone else thinks about you man. Use that as motivation.

Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    where do you live?
    I live in toronto

@Brandon, If i go to a commercial gym I know i will fail and i know i won't try or push my self if i'm thinking everyone's watching me, i'll probably be one of those guys that just sit around for 20 mins and then go home.

I need confidence as its lacking quite a bit, and for me to get confidence i need to lift in my comfort zone till im not insecure with my size anymore.

I appreciate all the comments guys, i've already started actively looking on kijiji/craigslist.

Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I live in toronto

@Brandon, If i go to a commercial gym I know i will fail and i know i won't try or push my self if i'm thinking everyone's watching me, i'll probably be one of those guys that just sit around for 20 mins and then go home.

I need confidence as its lacking quite a bit, and for me to get confidence i need to lift in my comfort zone till im not insecure with my size anymore.

I appreciate all the comments guys, i've already started actively looking on kijiji/craigslist.
    Nothing wrong with training at home. I hate working out in a gym...too much standing around waiting

Your budget is sufficient to get you going. Make the Power Rack the foundation of your workout area.

Craigslist is a good idea...and fight the urge to buy the low end crap (like anything Fitness Avenue sells)

Happy lifting
    DVC

Quigley...

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This feels like a troll thread.

My grandma can bench 30-40 lbs.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    This feels like a troll thread.

My grandma can bench 30-40 lbs.
    Thanks?

Some guy is willing to give me a powertec rack + 7ft bar for $350

you guys think its worth it?

Would i be still able to sell it for the same price once i'm done with it?

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Some guy is willing to give me a powertec rack + 7ft bar for $350

you guys think its worth it?

Would i be still able to sell it for the same price once i'm done with it?
    I wouldn't buy it for that much, but that's just me.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.