AngryPotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tips for OLB/DE in High School

Hey guys, I just turned 15 yesterday, but I'm almost done with my Sophomore High School. I hope to play football next year onwards and need some tips for OLB/DE positions. My upside - Im extremely good at shedding blocks, I'm big (6'0" - 6'1") at 191 lbs. I also have great stamina and Im good at throwing my body weight at the blocker and bull rushing. The downside - Im not particularly strong - Im about average for someone my age. but the biggest problem is - Im horribly slow. I havent taken my 40yd timing yet, but my 100m timing is around 15s. I really need a few tips from you guys, thanks

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As the old saying goes if u want to be fast.....run fast! Work on sprints,agility drills, Olympic lifting, ploy metrics etc and all of these should make you much faster.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If your weak and slow, work on getting stronger. It will both make you less weak AND faster. Sure you could get faster by primarily focusing on sprints, but that will do little to increase your strength. Always look for training economy, what's going to give the most benifit from your efforts. Plus as the season approaches you will need to increase conditioning, and practice will start, both of these will help transfer strength gains into speed on the field.

Zmooney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your weak and slow you obviously need to hit the weight room and get a speed workout. On the football side i would try to develop more than bull rush because you will run into someone who can stop it i would suggest a spin or a rip move off the outside. The only thing is that you have to be quick off the corner

KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Glad to see another DE out there! i just got done playing in college. As far as your current stats you have good size and will continue to grow! Live in the weight room this offseason. Squats and box squats should be your best friend, focus on developing your hamstrings and hips, that is where most speed is generated. Quads are important and help with speed but most people already have well developed quads and under developed hamstrings.
    Along with upper body strength you must work on your punch. If you can violently strike a blocker it will help you shed and will help you create more plays. Speed is very important, don't get me wrong when i say this but in some defensives speed can be overrated in the DE position. If your in coverage you better have some speed but if your a rusher/down linemen speed is not near as important as quickness. Work on foot speed drills, dots, cones, ladders, agile 1's ect. the faster you can get your first 2/3 steps in the ground the easier you will win, especially if you have worked on your punch and have that combination.
    When it comes to pass rushing your steps are completely different. Instead of shorter choppier first steps in the run game the first step in pass rush must gain as much ground as possible! As an offensive linemen is moving back you must eliminate the distance as fast as possible. This requires you to take a very large first step, you can alter your stance to help with this. Work on getting in your stance and exploding 5 yards while being low. Jarred Allen has a great video of this on youtube, look it up i cannot post links yet.

So focus on squats and building mass, this will help with explosion as well. Become as explosive as possible and the easiest way to be a good high school football player is have better technique than everyone else, be a technician in your craft.
    If you need any help or have any questions you can message me directly i'm more than happy to help you out.