6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is it possible to marathon train without regressing my lifting/training

hello everybody,

again, new as new can be to all things weight and bodybuilding.

i am interested in training for some marathons this spring, but, i'm already 2 weeks into my bodybuilding (eason) training and am seeing gains in my arms and chest (not so much my shoulders and back, yet; legs are great, abs are there, just covered up).

anyway, i don't want to regress what i've started. but i have this lesser but almost as strong priority of wanting to train for the 26.2 (and the 3 month training cycles (lifting, running) almost perfectly overlap).

is this doable? am i a fool for trying? i want to get that lean, ripped, v-shape physique more than i want to run, but if i can have both, i want both for sure.

thanks,
    6ixy

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 6ixy View Post
    hello everybody,

i am interested in training for some marathons this spring, but, i'm already 2 weeks into my bodybuilding (eason) training and am seeing gains in my arms and chest (not so much my shoulders and back, yet; legs are great, abs are there, just covered up).

anyway, i don't want to regress what i've started. but i have this lesser but almost as strong priority of wanting to train for the 26.2 (and the 3 month training cycles (lifting, running) almost perfectly overlap).

is this doable? am i a fool for trying? i want to get that lean, ripped, v-shape physique more than i want to run, but if i can have both, i want both for sure.

thanks,
    6ixy
    Marathon runners don't have much muscle mass. Those who do don't run marathons.

While it's not possible to excel at both, there is certainly middle ground there. Your best bet is to do what you enjoy, and then just let the chips fall where they may.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000) djlogik is just really nice. (+1000)
    I trained for and ran a half marathon last year and lost a lot of my muscle. Now, I didnt have much to begin with, but when was all said and done I looked like a scawny little kid. Now I have spent the past 6 months building it all back up. I will never run like that again. Like IronWill2008 stated above, do what you enjoy most and let the chips fall where they may.

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Male? Female (I assume female from the mention of Eason's program)? Not that it makes a ton of difference . . . I just ask because I know Taiga1 ran a marathon a couple weeks ago and also bodybuilds. But she posts mostly over in the Female forum (quite a bit in the Female Misc). She'd be a good source of info most likely.

Ironwill is right (as usual) . . . probably some middle ground there and you could certainly do both. But they tend to work counter to each other--distance running isn't very conducive to carrying and maintaining a lot of muscle mass to paint with a broad brush. But nothing says you can't do both and enjoy yourself.
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I ran over 20 half marathons (between races and long run days) and 1 marathon this year and yes you can do both and not lose muscle as long as you plan for both. The biggest thing to make sure is that your protein consumption is higher than it would be if you were just running. To help get in the extra protein I use several high quality Whey Isolate shakes daily. Also take BCAA's (with any pre-workout supps you may take) prior to lifting and running. If you are going to run before/after lifting take a dose before each activity. You will also need enough calories to fuel dual workouts.

Ironwill is right when he says marathoners don't carry much mass but those are the ones who are out there to win or at least be competitive with the faster runners.

I am never going to run a full or half at record speeds but I run faster than many people my age, just not the skinny ones. Plan your leg workout days around your long run & speed training days as that is the hardest part of doing both lifting/running. The last part of the puzzle is sleep, you are going to need to make sure you don't train at the cost of sleeping because everything will fall apart before too long.

Good luck with your training.

6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 6ixy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what about bcaa's?

in kris's intro video, he mentioned he liked these for maintaining mass while doing cardio.

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    what about bcaa's?
    in kris's intro video, he mentioned he liked these for maintaining mass while doing cardio.
    Branch Chain Amino Acids. These 3 aminos are the essential amino's in muscle growth/preservation. Some peple may say they aren't necessary but my experience says other wise. These building blocks of muscle are needed as we lift/run and without a supply of them the body will take these essential amino's from muscle. You will find BCAA's in whey powders but BCAA's on their own allow to keep muscle. I weigh in at 190 lbs and running doesn't affect my muscle mass or strength.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    what about bcaa's?

BCAAs are already contained in any complete protein you're already eating. Taking them supplementally isn't necessary if you're eating to your daily requirement of protein.

Be aware that gethin is paid by this site to write articles suggesting use of supplements. He advises people to buy a lot of useless stuff.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000)
    hello everybody,

thanks,
    6ixy
    I'm not a runner, but I do host a Veteran's benefit 5k race each year (I don't run in it, I just stand there with a clipboard). You may want to think about 5k or 10k distance races. I see some fairly jacked guys/gals running in my 5k, as well as some folks that probably don't participate much in ongoing fitness programs. I imagine you could still achieve your goal of muscular size and definition, while continuing to enjoy your sport of running. Good luck, and most importantly have fun with it!

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hello everybody,

thanks,
    6ixy
    "i have this lesser but almost as strong priority of wanting to train for the 26.2"/"is this doable? am i a fool for trying?"

No not a fool but as a runner that does both, the more muscle you add the harder it is to run really fast( runners world calls 180 heavy). If you want to complete the marathon at a 11 min mile pace, that is one thing but if you want to run fast(sub 8), then the added muscular weight is like wearing a 10 pound back pack while running. I suggest you monitor yourself closely with diet, energy levels, supps and create a long term plan. I have observed leg and belly mass go first when training for distance,good luck.

txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Completely agree about sacrificing speed if you carry more mass. Runner's rule of thumb is that you sacrifice a minute per pound over your "Ideal" racing weight for a marathon.

You will have to decide if you are in it for a great time...or want to do a respectable time and look good doing it.

If the latter, then the best way is to build up your bod in the off-season and try to hold onto it when you ramp up your endurance training. Which will require spending time in the gym lifting, in addition to your road time.

Much like a traditional bodybuilding cut, you will lose some of your mass when you ramp your mileage. Beauty is, you can maintain significantly higher calories than you would on a typical cut.
    Nothin to it but to do it