thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000)

Angry Ironmaster Quick-Lock DBs- rusting!? (aust)

Hey all,

Back in 2009 I bought some (brand new) IM Quick-Lock DB's. Then about 3 months ago I moved out of home and left all my gym equipment at my parents place, in my room, cause I had no room in my new place. I came home for Christmas and went in my old room and checked over all my gear and everything was all okay except my dumbbells - they had rust all over the inside of them. There was no rust on any of my other bars or equipment and no rust on any of the IM plates (where the paint had chipped away) nor was there any rust on the outside of the DBs.

I've attached a whole heap of photos. They're in order (or at least they should be) - sorry for the crap quality - I only had my phone on me. I used the flash to show more detail of the rusting. As you can see there's no rust on the outside where the plates sit but it's all over the inside.

I've done some Googling but can't seem to find anyone complaining/talking about rust on their DBs. Has anyone got/had rust on theirs?

I know that they were purchased back in '09/10 but still - they shouldn't be rusting, right?

Would this be a warranty issue? Should I contact the shop I bought them from or email IM direct?

If anyone has had some experience with this issue before - it would be great to know.

Thanks,
    Ash.
    Attached Images
    if you give me reps i will fap.

thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000)
    another 6 pictures.
    Attached Images

final five pictures.
    Attached Images

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They are made out of ferrous metal, they are going to rust. If it bothers you then you need to maintain them by keeping them clean, oiling them once in a while, and storing them in a dry place.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    They are made out of ferrous metal, they are going to rust. If it bothers you then you need to maintain them by keeping them clean, oiling them once in a while, and storing them in a dry place.
    thanks. so the next question would be- umm...how does one get rid of rust? sand it back? is it worth removing the rust before it gets worse?

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone has different methods how to do it. That rust isnt too bad, so I would just get some medium wire wool, and some wd40, and give it a gentle scrub. Give it all a good wash off and then give the non contact areas a very light oil with 3 in 1 to stop it getting any worse. Try to not to get oil the handle as it messes with your grip when you're lifting.

Notice that the rust is mainly on areas where your hands touch regularly. Its most likely your sweat that has caused that rusting, so clean them before putting them away next time.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    Everyone has diff......
    thanks for that, repped, have my internet points. i'll clean them tomorrow.

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    And ProteinandIron said, WD-40 and very fine steel wool is great for cleaning rust. A few months ago I sold an old chrome olympic bar that I had stored in my (apparently humid) attic for a couple years, and when I brought it down I was surprised to see how rusty the sleeves were. WD-40 and a little elbow grease did the trick.

Still, you have to be careful that you don't scratch the chrome too badly with the wool. If the rust isn't too severe, you can try polishing the chrome with aluminum foil. Create a 3x3" square, put a small amount of water on it to create a polish, and then go over the rusty areas. Be sure not to use too much water or you'll make a mess, and I suggest wearing gloves as the aluminum oxide that is created tends to stain your hands. A description of the process can be found here:

http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html

I tried it out on an old metal dumbbell rod I had. I spent about 90 seconds polishing, and you can see the results below--it worked much better than I expected. Once the rust is removed, you'll want to dry the area and then hit it with 3 in 1 oil to protect it.

Before

After
    Attached Images

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thatashguy View Post
    thanks. so the next question would be- umm...how does one get rid of rust? sand it back? is it worth removing the rust before it gets worse?
    0000 steel wool will remove the rust without damaging the chrome. You can find it at just about any big-box home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) in the paint dept.

ETA: Just realized you're in Aust. and probably don't have Lowe's and Home Depot. Regardless, you ought to be able to find 0000 steel wool in your area. Just go easy with it and use some sort of liquid, like a light oil or window cleaner. You're just trying to remove the tiny little rust spots, so don't go at it like you're scrubbing burnt food out of a pan.
    Last edited by Stasher1; 12-28-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

granttttt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow that barbell looks good