djamesnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Programme advice

Hi there,

I'm a 43 yr old male. I've been going to the gym for about a year.
    I weigh 110kgs and have more body fat than I should.
    I've been doing a 4 day split of Mon-Chest/Tri's, Tues-Back/Bi's, Wed-off, Thurs-Legs, Fri-Shoulders
    With travelling alot for work I have often missed a day, or sometimes an entire week.
    Although I'm the strongest I've ever been, and I mean ever, I'm a bit disappointed with my physical progress and am looking at changing my routine.
    I supplement with whey and creatine and very occasionally take pre workouts.

I know that I need to work on my diet BIG time. A couple of months ago, just when I was able to hit the gym really hard again, I've developed tennis elbow so have had to stop bicep work totally and most shoulder work too.

Currently I do a 4 day split (Mon/Tues on, Wed off, Thurs/Fri on) with 5 sets and 12-8 reps

Chest/Tris - Mon
    Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Decline bench
    Machine flys
    Cable crossovers
    Tri pushdowns
    Cable rope Overhead Tri extension

Back/Bi's - Tues
    Lat pulldown
    Seated cable row
    Deadlifts (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Close grip pulldowns
    Bicep exercises stopped due to tennis elbow injury

Legs - Thurs
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curls
    Calf press

Shoulders - Fri
    Military press
    Shrugs
    Rear delt flys
    all other shoulder exercises stopped due to tennis elbow injury

Like I say, I'm the strongest I've ever been and my girlfriend has noticed that my shoulders/back are wider but I'm gutted that I've had to stop shoulder work and biceps but I'm hoping that my bi's will get a bit of work from my back day.

To switch it up a little and focus more on what I can actually work on, I'm considering a 2 day split so I can hit each muscle group twice a week. I figure that this may give me the growth I'm looking for.
    I'm also gonna hit the cardio, now Xmas is over, to drop bodyfat.

Any advice on 2 day splits or otherwise would be great.

Cheers

SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It sounds like you're doing enough weight training, but the key to losing fat will be in your diet and of course incorporating cardio too.

Do you know how many calories you consume a day? It's a good idea to track this...

You will need to find out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), if you search on bb.com you will find a calculator for this. You then need to reduce your calories - 500cals a day would equal 3,500 a week which is the number of calories in 1lb of fat.

Myfitnesspal is a good (free) app that you can download onto your phone to track calories.

TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Read the stickies in the nutritional section. It is your diet. I would add a link but I'm on my phone. Check out the counting macros thread by emma-leigh. And welcome. Forget everything you know and humble yourself to better future options.

MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Tennis elbow is very common, especially in the O35 section. Search around, there's been a lot of threads about it.

Good luck!
    330->210. Drop me a PM if you're just getting started and want some advice.
    Do what you love and you'll never workout a day in your life.

geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Legs - Thurs
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curls
    Calf press

Here is your problem, you don't squat.
    Get your ass in the gym period!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by djamesnz View Post

I know that I need to work on my diet BIG time.
    Then start here:

No requirement for supplements at your level; learn how to eat first. This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
    *Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Buy an inexpensive digital food scale (~$30 at any big-box discount store), weigh your portions, and track them here: http://fitday.com

I've developed tennis elbow ...
    Likely from overuse. Lay off it completely for at least two weeks, and then see if you can come back at about half your previous loads without pain. If not, it might be time to see your doc.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 12-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

Lol, I'm gonna add it in the New Year.
    Oddly 95% of people in my gym don't squat or deadlift. In fact I get very strange looks when I do my deads.

Originally Posted by geer_matt View Post
    Legs - Thurs
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curls
    Calf press

Here is your problem, you don't squat.

Thanks mate.

Originally Posted by SQ76 View Post
    It sounds like you're doing enough weight training, but the key to losing fat will be in your diet and of course incorporating cardio too.

Do you know how many calories you consume a day? It's a good idea to track this...

You will need to find out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), if you search on bb.com you will find a calculator for this. You then need to reduce your calories - 500cals a day would equal 3,500 a week which is the number of calories in 1lb of fat.

Myfitnesspal is a good (free) app that you can download onto your phone to track calories.

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by TCO76 View Post
    Read the stickies in the nutritional section. It is your diet. I would add a link but I'm on my phone. Check out the counting macros thread by emma-leigh. And welcome. Forget everything you know and humble yourself to better future options.

Thanks for you help.
    I've had a look at the post you mention. It looks great.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Then start here:

No requirement for supplements at your level; learn how to eat first. This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
    *Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread

Likely from overuse. Lay off it completely for at least two weeks, and then see if you can come back at about half your previous loads without pain. If not, it might be time to see your doc.

Lol, thanks mate.
    Originally Posted by MoldyGopher View Post
    Tennis elbow is very common, especially in the O35 section. Search around, there's been a lot of threads about it.

Good luck!