rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Continue cutting or slow bulk

Hey

I'm doing a leangains cut atm, and have been doing so for about 17 weeks.
    It's gotten me from pretty fat to what you can see in the pictures.

Been training the whole time, RPT style and first off only doing squats, deadlifts and bench press. Recently added the press and inverse rows. I did SS before an injury and vacation "took me out" for 3 months, so i know the lifts. SS got me fat though, as i followed the crazy 5000 kcal pr. day, even though i wasn't skinny at the beginning.
    Squat up to 107.5 kg, DL 127.5 kg and my BP is a bitch at about 60 kg. Squat and DL have been moving up 5 kg pr. week consistently, but the BP is simply stuck there :/

Anyway.. I've always been fattish or skinny-fat, so i really wanna lose those "love handles" and get a six-pack - but reading other posts i've started to consider what i'd really look like if i lost more fat.
    I must admit, it doesn't look like i have a ton of muscle mass. And also with clothes on, it doesn't really look like i train.

Which is why i was wondering if it would be better for aesthetics (and obviously strength) if i switched to a slow bulk (like 200-300 kcal surplus)?

Guess it's either that, or keep going a bit longer and try to get to maybe 10% bodyfat before starting a bulk.

Some stats:
    22 yrs
    190 cm
    84.5 kg
    Waist circumference: 85 cm
    Bodyfat % (navy method): 15%
    Calibers: 11.5% (probably me who isn't doing it right, but also use it mainly to track progress)

What would you do?

Thanks
    Attached Images

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you could go either way. if you continue cutting, i wouldn't go under 175 for your height. but at the same time, your lagging chest (well, in reality you lack overall mass but chest sticks out the most atm) will be even more pronounced if you keep cutting, and since you're going to have to put on mass eventually to get a well proportioned body, you might as well go ahead and start slow bulking.

i would likely cut a few more lbs and then get ready to put on some real mass.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) L1ghtweight is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The 'general' thing many people do when cutting from heavy weight is to cut to 12% and then bulk. Wouldn't bother cutting to 10% before going on a long-term bulk, unless you plan on bulking really slow to maintain being lean

rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10) rasmusDoh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, my chest sucks. But seems like my bench just won't go up in this calorie deficit. At least that's what i hope the reason is. Always had trouble with BP, my max back at SS when i was eating a ton was 68.5 kg.

I do wanna stay lean (as lean as possible) while bulking, as i don't wanna cut and then start bulking just in time to get semi-fat again when it's summer.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rasmusDoh View Post
    Yeah, my chest sucks. But seems like my bench just won't go up in this calorie deficit. At least that's what i hope the reason is. Always had trouble with BP, my max back at SS when i was eating a ton was 68.5 kg.

I do wanna stay lean (as lean as possible) while bulking, as i don't wanna cut and then start bulking just in time to get semi-fat again when it's summer.
    first of all, it's pretty freakin' hard to gain mass while in a deficit . even for a newbie. secondly, don't be afraid of fat gain when bulking. what's gained can always be lost, and typically your optimal mass gains will come with fat as well, but you will be looking better due to added muscle regardless.

Haha yeah, thats true!
    Actually been wondering if its biologically possible at all? The way i understand it, there's two ways to gain strength. One is from added muscle mass, and the other one is some nerve system adaption stuff. And as would make sense, my squat and deadlift gains must have been of the latter kind then.

Alright, i get that. Its not like this upcoming (well, not that soon) summer is special, but would like to look good with my shirt off for a change.

So to achieve that, and to add general muscle mass + get my strength up, you would suggest to cut a few more kgs, and then start a bulk?

You say 175 lbs = about 79 kg minimum with my height. Would you set that as the goal, or a bit higher?
    Maybe go after waist and say like 80 cm?

at this point, a specific waist measurement won't likely be a good goal simply due to lack of mass...i'd say cut these last few lbs, set 175 as your goal, then plan on adding mass at whatever rate is comfortable for you. a lot of times people forget that just b/c you add some fat during a bulk doesn't mean you won't look better for the beach or summer, plenty of people can pull it off. if it gets your proportions looking thicker without taking away too much definition, you'll be fine.

adding mass and getting strength up will happen when you bulk, but you should still be lifting heavy as possible while cutting. there's no sense in going light when cutting if you want to look your best.

Cool, that'll be the goal then!

Do you suggest a bulk to gain like 0,2-0,3 kg pr week after that, or maybe a bit more?

Trust me, i'm going as heavy as i can! I almost died today doing my 107.5 kgx6 squat and its like that everytime for all lifts. So definitely trying to score all the (newbie) strength gains i can, even on a deficit ;-)