SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)

Portable Equipment Reviews and Questions - TRX, gymnastic rings?

I'm going independent, most likely in a non-gym setting. I am looking for a range of equipment that will fit in the trunk of my hatchback car. For the time being, I might be operating out of multiple locations, which makes the portability even more important.

Suspension Trainer - I'm debating between TRX and gymnastic rings. I really have never included either in my training because I have never had access to them. I think it does add some variation, which would be nice. From what I have gathered so far, TRX seems easier to adjust and it seems as if they even themselves automatically in terms of length? I've read that TRX can adjust in a fraction of the time that gymnastic rings do. If this is true, that would clearly be important. However, I'm also looking for TRX alternatives/knock offs.

Part of me thinks that having TRX in pictures on my website would be good marketing, as ridiculous as that sounds. TRX is big these days. The other thing I'm concerned about is the attachments of both. TRX seems to have more options for attaching in doors and you only need one anchor point. I'm sure there are ways to get around this, but again I will seek the opinion of those more experienec than I.

Dumbbells - Powerblocks seem to be the only way to go here. I really don't have any interest in screwing around with weight plates if it is not necessary. Bowflex would never cross my mind and IronMaster seems too much like a slightly faster adjustable dumbbell. With the IronMaster, you would also have to stick all the plates on the dumbbell to walk them in/out of the facility.

Medicine Balls - From experience, I really like the Dynamax medicine balls. They offer the benefits of doing partner exercises without spraining or breaking your fingers. I'll be looking into some of the knock offs, but I would rather pay a little bit more for something that won't fall apart.

Bands - If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm looking commercial grade, nothing you can pick up at a local sporting goods store.

I'm thinking that between these 4 pieces of equipment, as well as an aerobic stepper (for step test, as well as a few other exercise, not interested in step aerobics), I would be looking pretty good to start. If one of the businesses allows me to keep a small corner of equipment, I do have a power rack, bench, barbell, and plates that I could also use. For now, I'm not sure if that is an option.

Thanks guys.

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I love TRX, can't be beaten. Have seen Rings and they look cool though, proper old school (but people like flash so would go with trx). Also consist kettlebells, I love mine
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you're going to be going to people's houses/offices then TRX with a door stopper is awesome - easily portable and you can do many things with it, plus it is adjustable for many heights and difficulty levels.

For bands expect to pay more for good ones - check out sports conditioning web sites and get some decent ones with handles.

What about sandbags, hurdles (small plastic ones), small kettlebells, etc. All easily transportable. I also always had a foam roller in my car for therapy work. A good yoga mat just in case you need one is a good idea.

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PeteratCastle View Post
    I love TRX, can't be beaten. Have seen Rings and they look cool though, proper old school (but people like flash so would go with trx). Also consist kettlebells, I love mine
    I'll probably go with the TRX as much as I would like to get a set of rings for 1/3 of the price. Any thoughts on Powerblocks if you've ever used them? I was thinking about getting the Classic 50 Plus, which is 5-50 by 2.5s for $250 on sale. They are expandable to 70lbs. Clearly not the best option for stronger clients, but it is a piece of equipment I can start out with any eventually retire it to home use some day when I have the money to buy something better.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    If you're going to be going to people's houses/offices then TRX with a door stopper is awesome - easily portable and you can do many things with it, plus it is adjustable for many heights and difficulty levels.

For bands expect to pay more for good ones - check out sports conditioning web sites and get some decent ones with handles.

What about sandbags, hurdles (small plastic ones), small kettlebells, etc. All easily transportable. I also always had a foam roller in my car for therapy work. A good yoga mat just in case you need one is a good idea.
    I do have some sandbags, foam rollers, etc. I was more of listing what I was intending on buying. I am going to be limited ultimately to what I can fit in my car. The whole idea is that I will be using a batting cage facility for training people. I think it will pretty much be a carry in, carry out situation. So, I can have all the equipment in the world, but at the end of the day it needs to leave with me.

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SFT View Post
    I'll probably go with the TRX as much as I would like to get a set of rings for 1/3 of the price. Any thoughts on Powerblocks if you've ever used them? I was thinking about getting the Classic 50 Plus, which is 5-50 by 2.5s for $250 on sale. They are expandable to 70lbs. Clearly not the best option for stronger clients, but it is a piece of equipment I can start out with any eventually retire it to home use some day when I have the money to buy something better.
    I've never used powerblocks myself but am very tempted to invest in some as I hear good this about them. As you said, it all needs to go home with you after the client's session so that sort of thing is brilliant. I would not worry to much about "stronger" clients tbh, unless that's your market. Most of the clients I work with don't hoist 70lbs weights about.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use a set of Nautilus dial weights 5-52.5lbs and a Jungle Gym XT (suspension trainer).

I've used TRX and Jungle Gym XT side by side and most of my clients liked the JGXT more...
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

Originally Posted by Lasharm View Post
    I use a set of Nautilus dial weights 5-52.5lbs and a Jungle Gym XT (suspension trainer).

I've used TRX and Jungle Gym XT side by side and most of my clients liked the JGXT more...
    I wonder about the difference between the two in terms of marketing. If you say we use Jungle Gym XT versus TRX. I guess you could always say "Suspension Training like TRX". In either case, good feedback. I will check it out.

PeteratCastle - I picked up a set of Powerblock Classic 50 Plus dumbbells tonight at Dick's Sporting Goods here in the States for $250. They are expandable to 70lbs. My other option was the rubber coated ones for $380, also 50lbs. initially, but expandable to 90lbs. The expansion kits are ~$140. I figured for now, my choice was the correct one given the state of my bank account. Once things get going, perhaps I will upgrade.

Next on my list is the TRX or JGXT (based on feedback I get here) and a Dynamax ball. I think the bands will ultimately be the last on my list.

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I found my Jungle Gym XT on Amazon for $50 a while back. And yes, I have had some [minimal] marketing issues and that's why I also have a TRX.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used powerblocks a few times, so my experience is limited with them. however, the way the blocks stay together, with this weird pin thing, I found rickety and felt uneasy with the dumbbells over my head. might ask the equipment forum crew though...bunch of people in there love them.

I ended up buying the Powerblock Classic 50 Plus and I really didn't like them. For light home use they might work just fine. The price was good too at $250. However, with the use and abuse that they might take from transporting and client use, I decided to return them and get the Powerblock U90 Stage 1.

I just unpacked them and they are much more professional looking. The "Stage 1" set goes from 5-50lbs. like the Classic 50 Plus. Here are my thoughts:

Pros
    - Less noise
    - Seem to be slightly easier to select weights
    - Look more professional
    - Should be more resistant to damage. Weight plates are bolted together instead of welded and they have the urethane coating.

Cons
    - I don't like how every weight ending with "2.5" isn't available. For instance, your weights start off at: 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 17.5, 20, 25... and so on. I figure an easy way to combat this will be a 2.5lb. ankle or wrist weight, but it is nice to have access to weights in increments of 2.5, at least up until 30lbs. or so.
    - A bit bigger than the classics

Overall I'm very happy with the buy. On to the TRX next.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can tell you what I have and what works for me.

Right now i have:
    Dumbells
    small dumbells 1 - 10 pounds, though usually i dont bother with the 1 and 3 pound ones
    Versabells adjustable from 5 - 50, cost me 170 bucks, well worth it.

Resistance bands of all shapes and sizes, i have picked them up at different places and different times so i have a huge variety, one bag just for bands

Stability ball, though i would rather have a bosu because its easier to transport. I want the pro one, which is i think 150 or so, so i have been waiting to make that purchase

Small stepper with risers, love it because i use it as a bench in many exercises and it is just a versatile piece. I picked it up last year on amazon for 36 bucks on black friday, usually the thing is about 100 i think.

I have yoga mats, blocks, and straps and a thicker exercise mat.

wrist and ankle weights
    and a few random pieces that i have picked up here and there.

I would like to add a TRX or other suspension like thing, just havent been able to justify the cost at this time, since what i have has been working so far. I am also adding bigger equipment to be able to open my garage to those who need it, either when they outgrow what i have for home training or because they are all ready above the smaller weights. So far I have added a spin bike and 300 pounds of weights and a couple of bars and i am looking to get a comercial grade bench of some sort, tredmill, heavy bag and more weights. Eventually i want to move to a small studio so i can offer group fitness classes and personal training in a more comfortable non gym setting.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SFT View Post
    I'm going independent, most likely in a non-gym setting. I am looking for a range of equipment that will fit in the trunk of my hatchback car. For the time being, I might be operating out of multiple locations, which makes the portability even more important.

Suspension Trainer - I'm debating between TRX and gymnastic rings. I really have never included either in my training because I have never had access to them. I think it does add some variation, which would be nice. From what I have gathered so far, TRX seems easier to adjust and it seems as if they even themselves automatically in terms of length? I've read that TRX can adjust in a fraction of the time that gymnastic rings do. If this is true, that would clearly be important. However, I'm also looking for TRX alternatives/knock offs.

Part of me thinks that having TRX in pictures on my website would be good marketing, as ridiculous as that sounds. TRX is big these days. The other thing I'm concerned about is the attachments of both. TRX seems to have more options for attaching in doors and you only need one anchor point. I'm sure there are ways to get around this, but again I will seek the opinion of those more experienec than I.

Dumbbells - Powerblocks seem to be the only way to go here. I really don't have any interest in screwing around with weight plates if it is not necessary. Bowflex would never cross my mind and IronMaster seems too much like a slightly faster adjustable dumbbell. With the IronMaster, you would also have to stick all the plates on the dumbbell to walk them in/out of the facility.

Medicine Balls - From experience, I really like the Dynamax medicine balls. They offer the benefits of doing partner exercises without spraining or breaking your fingers. I'll be looking into some of the knock offs, but I would rather pay a little bit more for something that won't fall apart.

Bands - If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm looking commercial grade, nothing you can pick up at a local sporting goods store.

I'm thinking that between these 4 pieces of equipment, as well as an aerobic stepper (for step test, as well as a few other exercise, not interested in step aerobics), I would be looking pretty good to start. If one of the businesses allows me to keep a small corner of equipment, I do have a power rack, bench, barbell, and plates that I could also use. For now, I'm not sure if that is an option.

Thanks guys.
    I have some Rogue Rings and they are awesome.
    Check out my Ebay Listings-
    http://myworld.ebay.com/undergroundtraining
    Official Website http://www.UG-TRAINING.COM
    Check out my youtube page http://www.youtube.com/UTCFitness
    Photos of my equipment http://www.********.com/undergroundtraining
    Contact me on FB or Ebay concerning my equipment
    Follow us on Twitter
    http://www.twitter.com/UGtraining