pjm1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recommendations for the best macro ratios (for a 20%bf man wanting fat loss) ?

Hi guys (newbie / "beginner") here.
    I believe it's not an exact science, but can you please recommend the best ratio guide for Pro, Carb and fat when wanting to lose bf for a 170lb guy with 20% bf who want's to get down to 9-10% bf (as a primary goal) ?

(I am aiming for 1500-1900 cals a day)

Thanks in advance

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ratios should be avoided as they do not account for physiological sufficiency. Also, your proposed caloric intake would result in an especially bad outcome. To learn more, please read this.

At your height, weight and body fat, it's essential that you bulk, not cut.

To learn why, please watch:

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best ratios are ones that, given your caloric eating level, allow you to meet your minimum requirements for all macronutrients.

First of all 1500-1900 calories a day is WAY too little. Recalculate your calories (you can also calculate your macros here): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

pjm1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the help (so far) guys, it's really appreciated.

(Maybe I should tell more about myself in case it makes a difference).

Although I have stated I'm a "newbie / beginner", I meant it more in a generalized way while not wanting to appear like a "know it all" etc.
    Anyway, exercise has generally been a big part of my life for a long time.
    Up until about 2 years ago, I was EXTREMELY active (with no exaggeration). I was running approx 20-30 miles a week in addition to other workouts like circuit training and sports with friends, along with an active job.
    As a result, my previous stats where.....147lbs with 8%bf. (I used to be "ripped out of my mind" haha).
    However, I always felt I wanted to be more "muscular" and I have now managed to overcome my "exercise addiction" and now only work out 3* weekly doing only weight training (3 way split) and not worrying too much about my diet etc. As a result of this, I've put on a fair amount of WEIGHT, but I'm really not comfortable with my current level of bf.

Does any of that make a difference to the advice already given ?
    Last edited by pjm1; 12-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    how about you post pics

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you need to be consistent with your eating and determine what your current typical intake is and then slowly deduct from there. your body is always a product of what you've been doing, not a random calculation based on some stats. sorry not trying to be mean at all, just conveying what i've come to find to be true. i'd aim for in the ballpark of 1 g/lb for protein. carbs and fats from there are largely trial and error to see what suits your body.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer