shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out around working.

Good Morning.

I am a recent college graduate with a full time office job. Now, when I was in school I was very active, had sports going on nearly every night so working out was not really an issue for me. I find myself now over weight and unsightly. I joined a gym but it seems that the only time where I can go and it not be over crowded is before work. Wake up at 5 and be at the gym between 5:30-5:45 and leave the gym by 7. It sounds like an awesome idea but I find myself coming up with reasons to not get up. I have no problem waking up, it is getting out of bed and into the car that is the hard part. I did it today, but only because the batteries in the smoke detector went out and kept me awake. I get to the gym and since I used to be in shape, I still have the frame and I look like I lift but I am sitting there curling 25-30 lb weight next to someone who is half my size curling 45-50 lb. It is pretty debilitating to one's moral when they see that. Nonetheless I finished my workout today with some nausea towards the end of it, preventing the completion of my last set.

My questions are:
    How can I get myself into the car and going in the morning?
    How do you keep your moral up when there are people WAY smaller than you lifting WAY more than you?
    How do you keep from developing nausea?

I appreciate any insight.

iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. Go to bed earlier. I used to be up until 1-2 am pretty much every night of the week. Now my alarm goes off at 5:15 to head to the gym and I'm usually ready for bed by 10:30.

2. Lift whatever is hard for you. Don't worry about other people in the gym. You're not there for them, you're there for you. Lifting with your ego leads to bad form and injury. I'm learning this the hard way now. I've buggered up my shoulder somewhat so that whenever I do bench press (bar or dumbbell) it acts up pretty bad for the next couple of days affecting me in and out of the gym. Just keep yourself challenged and dont worry about what other people are doing. Once your muscle memory kicks in, your strength will return, just don't rush it.

3. Nausea can mean you're working too hard. Maybe. I kind of like the feeling on occasion (not always, nausea at every work out would be awful), but every now and then that feeling can confirm that you're giving it your all and pushing yourself to the limit. Sometimes that limit is reached far quicker than others. Every day is different and should be treated as such.

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    1. More coffee

2. Who gives a **** how much anyone else is lifting? Man up and start worrying about yourself and not everyone else around you. This is something children worry about, not grown men.

3. Happens to me sometimes too. Usually because I tried to force a workout when I'm not really feeling up to it in the first place like if I didn't have enough to eat that day or something, though I wouldn't recommend eating a big meal before a workout anyway.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10) the.jza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by shanim1094 View Post
    How can I get myself into the car and going in the morning?
    keep at it, it'll become routine. what's your motivation? make it visible when you wake up. switch your alarm to a buzzer, not the radio, if you haven't already. i haaaaaaaaate my alarm clock so much but it's the only way i can drag myself out with little sleep.

How do you keep your moral up when there are people WAY smaller than you lifting WAY more than you?
    check the ego at the door. again, what's your motivation? keep that in mind, and put on the blockers when you go in to lift. you're there for one reason, and one reason only; to better yourself.

How do you keep from developing nausea?
    this i have no idea. are you eating before you lift?

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    don't worry about other people. do you. you know what you were once capable of and you will get back there and then some soon enough. another option might be to try the evening just to see if it feels better. something i'm also an advocate of - works for me, doesn't mean it works for all - is getting home from work, taking a power nap, prepping food for the next day and basically doing all the things one might normally do after an evening gym session first. then it's all out of the way and you skip most of the after work gym rush.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I really appreciate the support. I woke up this morning excited to get to the gym. I'm thinking the extra sleep probably helped me get up. I also placed by alarm on the otherside of the room. As for the nausea, I experienced it again today. It was not as bad as yesterday and I feel as though my workout today was more intense. I do not eat before the gym. In the morning I take ProMera Sports CON-CRET + MusclePharm Assault 30-45 minutes before arriving at the gym and SciVations Xtend during workout. I have a feeling the nausea is my body getting used to working out in the morning.

At the moment I am motivated by a significant life changing event occuring in 8 months. I am moving out of my home state and into an area with absolutely no one that I know for law school. When I move I want to leave all extra baggage behind (figuratively and literally). Another is that I have a friend who recently gained a bunch of weight and I was looking at a similar path. Motivation is part superficial and part health which i think is okay.