Thread: Running stairs

Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100)

Running stairs

Has/does anyone here run stairs for exercise? How did you like it? I haven't really done it purely for exercise yet, but I'd like to give it a try. Strangely enough, I think I'd like it - certainly more than just running or biking. I have a feeling that I'm not going to be able to do nearly as much as I hope, though. I have knee trouble, and I'm hoping that this partial leg motion as I push up might strengthen them enough to get back to doing squats and leg presses in the gym.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger in Pumping Iron

Get muscles in the gym. Get lean in the kitchen.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Tricon7 View Post
    I have knee trouble, and I'm hoping that this partial leg motion as I push up might strengthen them enough to get back to doing squats and leg presses in the gym.
    I don't know what your knee issue might involve, but running stairs, with it's inherent joint impact, might not be the best option for you.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I don't know what your knee issue might involve, but running stairs, with it's inherent joint impact, might not be the best option for you.
    Yeah, I agree. I've been doing some online research and most say that the stairs are bad. Funny, but the only leg exercise I've found that I can do in the gym without knee pain is the leg extensions, which most say one should stay away from. I've tried doing a few extremely light leg presses and squats, and they drove my knees crazy. Something about that kind of motion really aggravates them. I'm curious if one can get decent-sized legs just by doing leg extensions and leg curls.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger in Pumping Iron

Get muscles in the gym. Get lean in the kitchen.

Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I ran stairs when I was much younger, barefoot. Nothing I would attempt now as no good can come of it. I guess you could try the stair machine if your gym has one, but that is as much fun as waiting for someone curling in the squat rack.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Tricon7 View Post
    I'm curious if one can get decent-sized legs just by doing leg extensions and leg curls.
    Depends on what you'd consider as 'decent-sized,' but look at it like this; whatever you can do pain-free is much better than doing nothing.

Have you tried experimenting with foot position for Squats and LPs? Sometimes just a slight change can make an exercise pain-free.

I also agree about your assessment of Leg Extensions. From a kinesiology standpoint, they aren't the best for knee health. But again, you have to do what you can do.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50) JelaniTheGreat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Haven't ran stairs since high school, with that said the invention known as the StairMaster transformed my life.

SixMillionDollarPostman buff_dad_dy's Avatar
    buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buff_dad_dy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ran stairs and hills for 4 years. Both knees went south requiring arthroscopic surgery and have achilles tendonitis in both feet. Great for the calves but.....

Today, I would consider walking up stairs in a focused and disciplined manner but would not run aimlessly up them.
    Enjoying great genetics since 1969!

wanting the wife to give me that wink just like the Bowflex guys says ;)

My goal is to succeed on My Terms and not to fail on someone elses!

Erected 1969

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i like using stairs in my work outs.i wouldnt call it running for me,more like climbing.
    because of bad discs in my neck,no more squatting and only very light deadlifting for me from now on.so i turned to stairs to beat the legs up a little.ill take 2 at a time,carry a couple of 45's up and down etc.
    i dont know if you can grow your legs doing this,but i can tell my legs are getting stronger.
    asthmatic dumbass crew
    shop smart shop s mart
    i said all the words,mostly.
    member of the crew member crew.

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by buff_dad_dy View Post
    Ran stairs and hills for 4 years. Both knees went south requiring arthroscopic surgery and have achilles tendonitis in both feet. Great for the calves but.....

Today, I would consider walking up stairs in a focused and disciplined manner but would not run aimlessly up them.
    That's pretty much what I do twice a week for intervals on one of these things:

I'll bump the speed up for 1 minute so that I am 'walking' really fast taking 2 steps at a time (skipping 1 step) which makes my strides quite long and really involves the hamstrings a lot. Then I bump speed down to recover and take only 1 step at a time for 1 minute. Makes for a really good and low impact HIIT session, at least for me

Oh yeah, and keep your damn hands off the rail if you use one of these! So many people at the gym support half their bodyweight by leaning on the rails!

Registered User ChicagoWineGeek's Avatar
    ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here in Chicago there is a race every February called "Hustle up the Hancock". 94 stories of stairs (1,632) up to the top of the John Hancock building. This year will be my 11th year doing the race. So I do stairs as one of my favorite cardio workouts. I do real stairs in the hotels I stay at (I travel for work a lot). I've never been able to "run" them, just walk up as fast as I can. Typical workout for me is a hotel with 576 stairs from bottom to top. 3-4 sets, walk up, elevator down. Great HIIT. Cranks the heart rate to 172 by the last set.

4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4America has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I ran stairs on and off for a few years, then starting having knee problems. My advice is don’t do it.

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Running? eek! I've had a knee surgery back in March. I won't be running anywhere soon and if there is a zombie apocalypse or any other event where I might need to run, my ass is toast lol. I can, however, squat 225 x 10. I did it earlier this week on quads day. Not ATG but parallel. I see this won't help me in any apocalyptic event.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

Registered User ChicagoWineGeek's Avatar
    ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 4America View Post
    I ran stairs on and off for a few years, then starting having knee problems. My advice is don’t do it.
    I've got crappy knees too, but going up stairs doesn't bother them in the least. I avoid going down stairs at all costs when training. Stairs up, elevator down.

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Practical people talk about "functional" exercise. Simply enough, just avoid elevators, take the stairways UP. Works miracles. I recently met a lady school teacher whose school was four stories. She never took an elevator in 25 years. Her hips, waist and legs would put most body builders to shame. Climb the stairway.
    Do what's right.