NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Information you all should find useful

http://www.strengthandconditioningre...earch-summary/

The biggest thing I found interesting, and probably the most applicable to us as athletes, is the stuff about deadlifting and power output.

They said that speed deadlifting with a straight bar and a hex bar give similar power numbers when compared to the Olympic lifts and variations. This is helpful, because teaching the Olympic lifts can be very time consuming, and they're tough to master.

Another very interesting thing, on a related note, was that they found peak power was produced in the straight bar deadlift at 30% of the one rep max. Previous studies showed that 50-60% is where peak power is displayed in the squat, and I think people just assumed it was the same for the deadlift (I know i did). What this means that if you're going to be using the deadlift for a way to increase power, that you should use 30% of your one rep max.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The 30% information is useful! Thanks!

However, the problem with speed deadlifting instead of say cleans, is that once you get tired you will stop moving the bar fast because you can still complete the rep without speed. On cleans, you have to move it fast otherwise you won't complete the rep. This is why speed deadlifts aren't a seamless replacement for cleans.
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LiftNPlay View Post

However, the problem with speed deadlifting instead of say cleans, is that once you get tired you will stop moving the bar fast because you can still complete the rep without speed. On cleans, you have to move it fast otherwise you won't complete the rep. This is why speed deadlifts aren't a seamless replacement for cleans.
    Agree with this. Also, there is no ankle extension with the deadlift.

High pulls or box jumps would be a better option for an athlete that could not perform a clean.

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LiftNPlay View Post

Very true, but this is where training experience comes in. You have to be conscious of how fast your reps are going. I heard that a general rule for plyometrics is that you shouldn't necessarily have a certain number of sets to follow, but instead you should stop when performance drops off. I would do broad jumps 3 times in a row and I would mark where I landed at the end of each set. Then I'd go back to the starting point and try to beat my last set. When I couldn't, I would stop. I think that's what you have to do with speed reps for any lift. If you notice the reps getting too slow, then you call it a day.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211