DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leg Growth - My biggest weakness.

Hi all.

It is no surprise - big thighs ( quads/hammies ) and powerful glutes are essential in Rugby.

Suffice to say, my quads / hammies are a joke... simply awful.

When squatting; I always go very deep, and presumably this will heighten glute involvement.... but I don't feel comfortable doing shallow (partial) squats. Are partial squats the main way of overloading the quads (besides a leg extension or leg press machine)?

What other exercises can I use ( training alone ) beyond a seated hammy curl, and deadlifts, to focus on Hamstrings? . The gym I use does not have a glute-ham raise, or reverse lying hyperextension machine ( unfortunately ).

Any information from blokes with big legs would be hugely welcome - Particularly training loads in general ( intensity, sets, frequency ).

Yes, I know "Lift heavy" is the ethos I am regularly told; but frequency is one thing I'd be interested to hear ( given heavy training produces high DOMS ), and in particular, what time-frame did it take for you to reach your goals? or reach solid growth in legs? ... I haven't seen much in 2 months, and it could be simple impatience on my part, but, visual results provide motivation, and I am losing hope at this stage.

Cheers all.

strengthgainr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) strengthgainr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) strengthgainr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) strengthgainr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) strengthgainr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) strengthgainr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Do you do any plyometric training?

Since you're training for athleticism, I'd really suggest you incorporate some vertical and horizontal jump training into the mix along with some sprints.

You can train twice a week, once for a heavy weightlifting day with your usual routine and the other devoted to explosive movements. This will add a new dimension to your muscle stimulation and promote quad growth in the process.

Cheers
    Triple your gains with my FREE report over at:

www.strengthgainer.com

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm not an expert when it comes to rugby, but I'll give you my advice. Try this out:

Monday/Wednesday - hypertrophy:
    Barbell front squats - 5 sets of 8
    Romanian deadlifts - 5 sets of 12 - go light on these! Feel your hamstrings work
    Barbell glute bridges - 5 sets of 8

Friday - strength:
    Barbell back squats - 5 sets of 3 - heavy
    Sumo barbell deadlifts - 5 sets of 3 - heavy
    Barbell glute bridges - 5 sets of 5 - heavy

Typically, you always want to use a full range of motion, except for the romanian deadlifts. Stop approximately mid-shin. You also might want to incorporate some speed/power work into your routine to increase explosiveness. Again, I'm no rugby expert, but I'd give this a go if I were you. Good luck.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    A few months back, I got told that I have big legs. Words to that effect. Certainly, they're heavy enough, and don't look small by any means.

Well, I can thank Starting Strength for that, for the most part. Check it out - you'll be working dem legs more than anything else, three times a week, going heavy, adding weight every session. Plus, it features power cleans, which - as far as I understand - are da bomb, for guys like you (i.e., rugby, football, etc.)

Add in some chinups, maybe another thing or two, and you're good to go.

Stronglifts 5x5 would be another good - and every similar - option. Again, with chinups (and maybe abs, etc.) added, IMO.

edit: Took me maybe 3 months to reveal a BIG difference, wrt leg size. And more so, beyond that.
    Last edited by MichaelCJ; 12-24-2012 at 03:15 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Your post is a bit confusing; I'm unsure whether you're trying to get bigger legs or stronger legs. While the two qualities aren't totally mutually exclusive, you'd do better to focus on one or the other.

Originally Posted by DrRugby View Post
    Are partial squats the main way of overloading the quads (besides a leg extension or leg press machine)?
    Front Squats will shift emphasis more to quads and away from glutes/hams.

What other exercises can I use ( training alone ) beyond a seated hammy curl, and deadlifts, to focus on Hamstrings?
    Romanian Deadlifts and the Leg Curl variant of your choice (Lying, Standing, or Seated).
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by alexanderberg View Post
    I'm not an expert when it comes to rugby, but I'll give you my advice. Try this out:

Monday/Wednesday - hypertrophy:
    Barbell front squats - 5 sets of 8
    Romanian deadlifts - 5 sets of 12 - go light on these! Feel your hamstrings work
    Barbell glute bridges - 5 sets of 8

Friday - strength:
    Barbell back squats - 5 sets of 3 - heavy
    Sumo barbell deadlifts - 5 sets of 3 - heavy
    Barbell glute bridges - 5 sets of 5 - heavy

Typically, you always want to use a full range of motion, except for the romanian deadlifts. Stop approximately mid-shin. You also might want to incorporate some speed/power work into your routine to increase explosiveness. Again, I'm no rugby expert, but I'd give this a go if I were you. Good luck.
    You got those two rep ranges mixed up. Front squats are the ones you go for shorter sets on due to the back giving out before the legs. On the back squat you can do higher rep sets.

Otherwise to gain mass on the legs, which are very big muscles, you have to put on quite a bit of weight. As long as you've got a half decent routine, you'll gain mass and strength if you just eat more than you spend i.e maintain a calorie surplus.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Frequency is what did it for me. Took the advice of an IFBB Pro I know, he said for Quads 3 sets to failure, Hams SLDL or Curl 3 sets to failure 3 times per week. Reverse Pyramid Style.

Now my legs over power big time, upper body is almost there...upper body is tiny in the pick above.

Everyone is different, I was doing high volume stuff, once a week, crippling myself for 10 days and not growing. Frequency is what works best for me
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of your responses; have been very useful so far in piecing together a potentially new routine.

xStevenx; It sounds like we may be similar. Your "before" picture looks like mine now.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take between those two pictures? ... The "after" picture looks very very impressive; would love legs that size.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by xStevenx View Post
    Frequency is what did it for me. Took the advice of an IFBB Pro I know, he said for Quads 3 sets to failure, Hams SLDL or Curl 3 sets to failure 3 times per week. Reverse Pyramid Style.

Now my legs over power big time, upper body is almost there...upper body is tiny in the pick above.

Everyone is different, I was doing high volume stuff, once a week, crippling myself for 10 days and not growing. Frequency is what works best for me

dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dgray101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My legs are not gigantic, but this is due to my diet more so than anything... But what I have tried and tested and what has honestly been the most gut wrenching workout for me was dropping my squats from 215 for 3 4 reps to 185 for 8 but really focusing and keying in to every muscle working. I guess for you training is slightly different, but pick a weight which is heavy, yet you can maintain perfect form for almost every repetition. I used to do dumbbell curls with thirties, switched to 15s and with the same methodology, my bis were more sore than ever before.

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DrRugby View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of your responses; have been very useful so far in piecing together a potentially new routine.

xStevenx; It sounds like we may be similar. Your "before" picture looks like mine now.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take between those two pictures? ... The "after" picture looks very very impressive; would love legs that size.

Cheers.
    IDK 2 or 3 years I forget
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

Chalky50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chalky50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chalky50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chalky50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chalky50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chalky50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dr. Rugby,

For your consideration, here are ten top workouts that do work the gluts and hamstrings, but also will help with overall strength, balance and explosiveness for sports: http://healthybodyguru.com/best-workout-dvds/. You may want to incorporate one of these along with isolated lifts to build your thighs for rugby.

nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    absolutely absolutely weighted lunges, they are a great functional movement (great for rugby) and will add mass