Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How do you "become" a personal trainer?

Hey,

Short story, i m a 19 year old guy who wants to be in fitness world. I really cant imagine myself doing anything besides fitness(currently on some college about economy but i really dont like it). In other words, how do you become a personal coach? Should i take some courses, read some books and what books to be excact?
    The Big 3

BB Press 242 lbs - one rep

Squat 286 lbs - one rep

Deadlift 375 lbs - one rep

Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In America u just get certified..there are hundreds of certifications each with different requirements, all will involve taking their test...some require bachelors degrees, some don't

Some of the certifications are REALLY easy to get and others actually require that you know some things

Outside of America I have no idea
    Call me Sally

413BarbellClub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    After you get your certification, you have 2 main routes:

1. Get a job with a commercial gym.

2. Operate as your own small business from a local gym if there is an owner nice enough to let you do so. You may be asked to pay "rent" each month or give a percentage of what you make.

Most people go with the first option because it can be hard to find a non commercial gym that will let you run your own business. Some people will say you can online coach, but save that later down the road after you get more experience. Online coaching is more difficult than training in person.
    Owner - 4:13 Barbell Club

Strength - Aesthetics - Health

Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Milos108 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks guys !

I have a friend who is working as a coach now, the funny thing about him is that he has only 1 year of working out experience(same as me), although he is 2x bigger and stronger. Nmv that, he is working at one local gym(behind the "counter", giving keys to locker room etc)AND working with his clients there. He is payed really good too ... And no, he doesnt have any certificate.
    The Big 3

BB Press 242 lbs - one rep

Squat 286 lbs - one rep

Deadlift 375 lbs - one rep

TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would recommend really building yourself into a reliable trainer first. Those certification programs don't properly prepare you. After becoming certified, practice training, and getting results for, your friends and family. Watch credible videos about form and try watching more rookie videos to see if you can find corrections.

I always felt that a background in psychology would have been a very useful/almost necessary tool. Not only do you need the listening skills and the ability to get your clients comfortable with you but you need to be able to get to the bottom of why they are facing challenges with overeating, lack of desire, etc....and if they don't have the motivation, you need to help them find it. You don't have to pursue a degree but it would be beneficial to take a couple courses and/or read a few books.

Lastly, if you can develop yourself into an impressive athlete, you'll have a much easier time finding and keeping clients. Occasionally, you'll have someone approach you about training after seeing you doing something particularly impressive in the gym. Being noticeable gives you an edge over other trainers when first getting clients. And your clients will be motivated by your accomplishments, thus more likely to stay. If you aren't in shape, your clients will have trouble trusting you.

Chain gyms will have you focusing mostly on sales. Try not to focus so much on sales - your training will be what sells. It's a waste of time and most people can see past the sales tactics. A good gym will be able to supply you with clients. Try not to get discouraged while working at a chain gym. The pay isn't too great (usually anywhere from $10-20 per hour depending on # of certifications). High turnover. After some experience here at chain gyms, if you've managed to gain some loyal clients, then move on to a local gym or onward toward training clients or groups at the park.

Get a website up - could be ******** but keep it separate from your personal page. Keep communication up with clients while they are away from you - text, call, email. Good luck.
    Last edited by TrainBetter; 12-03-2016 at 01:11 AM.

BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackHeart.au has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Milos108 View Post
    Thanks guys !

I have a friend who is working as a coach now, the funny thing about him is that he has only 1 year of working out experience(same as me), although he is 2x bigger and stronger. Nmv that, he is working at one local gym(behind the "counter", giving keys to locker room etc)AND working with his clients there. He is payed really good too ... And no, he doesnt have any certificate.
    The truth is if you don't know how to read muscle/posture imbalances while looking at someone you're most likely won't be able to get a career out of it. These days everyone can get programs and watch you tube online. Otherwise you'll have a hard time keeping clients or at least competing with other trainers.