Registered User LowCarbDiabetic's Avatar
    LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Squats and deadlifts with Long-Torso/Short-legs?

I'm getting conflicting information both at the gym and doing searches, so figured I'd ask what the rest of you Over-35'ers with my goofy measurements do... ?

I'm about 6'3" (slightly shrinking as I age it seems) but with only a 32.5" inseam.

First question(s): Squats ... high or low-bar? Is one better than the other for a person with my funky geometry?

Like most people when beginning I had the bar high up on top of my shoulders... but I had some knee pain when squatting which went away with moving the bar down a few inches. The only downside to low-bar is I'm finding I'm more bent-forward at the bottom... which feels odd but it's where I need to be balance-wise. I don't know if the more bent-forward position is a bad thing or not...

Second question: Deadlifts ... where should my arse be?

I've had some people tell me arse as low as possible to keep my back more upright/safe... but when I move my arse low at the start of deads, it's neither comfortable NOR does it seem mechanically efficient. With my body-geometry when raising my chest before I start a DL, my arse is usually a little higher than when at the bottom of a squat - so my thighs are above-parallel, but my back is still at a fairly bent-over position (short arms too)...

I wish I could post a video but my gym doesn't allow cameras.

What do others think about positioning for these two mass-builders for us short-legged, long-torso folks? Thanks in Advance!

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    for your 2nd question, I actually do not worry too much about where the butt is in the dead. Just get everything else set up an it will just go where it will just end up in its ideal spot. Not everyone might agree with that, the 'butt down' cue is given a lot, but I think that cue makes the start position feel awkward, as you describe, because you are concentrating on jamming your butt down lower than what felt right to you.

Instead, set everything else up perfect and the butt falls into place. That means straight arms to the bar, shoulders in line with or behind the bar, your upper half/ lats are tight like a statue with your chest lifted, you knowing that you are pulling BACK on the bar and not up, knowing that you need to be pushing the ground away to start the move and the timing on when your hips come into play. If you get all those things, then your hips/ butt just ends up where it needs to be. Some people are high, some are low. If you do what isn't right for, you feel like you have farther to pull and make it harder for yourself.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LowCarbDiabetic View Post
    I'm about 6'3" (slightly shrinking as I age it seems) but with only a 32.5" inseam.
    Well, you're the opposite of me. My scoliosis means my torso is short compared to my legs and arms. When I stopped growing ( i.e. when the scoliosis can't progress anymore ) the doctors said I'd be 1.5 inches taller if my spine was straight. Thankfully it no longer bothers me, deadlitfing has gotten my back strong and the pain I used to have is gone.

First question(s): Squats ... high or low-bar? Is one better than the other for a person with my funky geometry?
    I would think you'd want low bar to compensate for your long torso.

Second question: Deadlifts ... where should my arse be?

I've had some people tell me arse as low as possible to keep my back more upright/safe... but when I move my arse low at the start of deads, it's neither comfortable NOR does it seem mechanically efficient. With my body-geometry when raising my chest before I start a DL, my arse is usually a little higher than when at the bottom of a squat - so my thighs are above-parallel, but my back is still at a fairly bent-over position (short arms too)...

I wish I could post a video but my gym doesn't allow cameras.

What do others think about positioning for these two mass-builders for us short-legged, long-torso folks? Thanks in Advance!
    I would think deadlifting it should be easy for you to keep your hips down. The reason I have a hard time keeping my hips down is because the knees get in the way of the bar, so I straighten my legs to get my knees out of the way. I'd think you wouldn't have that problem, but then again you say you have short arms. I'd have to see a video. BUT the answer to your question really is the same as for anybody. I'd say you keeps your hips as low as you feel that you can for as long as you can. You should tell your gym to allow cameras and tell them why, post a video here.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Registered User LowCarbDiabetic's Avatar
    LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LowCarbDiabetic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    ... That means straight arms to the bar, shoulders in line with or behind the bar, your upper half/ lats are tight like a statue with your chest lifted, knowing that you are pulling BACK on the bar and not up, knowing that you need to be pushing the ground away to start the move and the timing on when your hips come into play...
    I've never really THOUGHT about it that much - I'll have to try that tomorrow (DL day), thank you!