Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ultramarathons and looking good!

HI all. Just joined the forum after lurking for a long time and trying to find what Im looking for.

Basically I run lots of miles. 60-70 a week and run ultramarathons. Done a few 50 miles so far and trying a 100 next Sept. Now my question is that I would like to build some muscle. Not big but looking good. Is this possible with the amount of cardio I do? Plus please point me in right direction!

Thanks in advance

Spen

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome to the forum. When I ran those kinds of distances (I've done century runs), it was easy to stay ripped but any real muscle density isn't going to help you run a faster/farther ultra. I remember feeling good doing upper body 3x a week, legs once (usually wed since Sats were my long run) and throwing some speed work in wherever I could fit it in (most often Mondays) plus the typical 80-100 miles per week.

Good luck with your training. Ill be very interested to read about your progress and races.
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spen1971 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply mate. I want to look ripped but obviously not a big guy. Suppose my main worry is the diet and gettign enough inside ,me!

cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It can be very hard to eat enough doing all of that plus living a life to boot. As you know, eating is a big part of your running. I would say continue eating what fuels your running well but add a little extra protein and fat on top of that to help with any strength training you pile on.
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    It can be very hard to eat enough doing all of that plus living a life to boot. As you know, eating is a big part of your running. I would say continue eating what fuels your running well but add a little extra protein and fat on top of that to help with any strength training you pile on.
    So plenty of fish?

Originally Posted by Spen1971 View Post
    So plenty of fish?
    Whatever works for you. I can't do fish in large quantities. iirc I was eating 7-10k calories a day. I had to watch out for excessive fiber and bulk in general or it killed my long runs.

txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txironbutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is much easier to hang onto what you have built than to build it...especially at your kind of endurance volume. An off-season approach might be the way to go.

I normally take the winter off from summer Ironman Season...training by feel vs a plan. I also use that time to hit the gym and change training focus from endurance to aesthetics/power.

I really enjoy the change of pace and the different challenge that bodybuilding brings. The strength gains and nutritional changes, that i have discovered in the bodybuilding effort, carry over nicely when it it time to ramp the endurance training back up.

I regularly did/do strength training, but had been away from "bodybuilding" for quite some time. I dabbled in it again last winter. This off-season, i have gotten very serious and am stronger, leaner and have much better composition, than i usually do this time of year. I even have better performance in my off-season endurance efforts than usual.

Lots of great information on this site...cmoore one of the best. Learn all you can about nutrition, keep your weight training simple, bring your normal training mindset and you will be successful.
    Last edited by txironbutt; 12-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Nothin to it but to do it

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The SAID principle is working against you. Google for reference of you need to. The primary stimulus you're applying is running, so your body will optimize for running. As muscles grow, so do their aerobic requirements, not to mention the total Watts output will be higher due to increased mass. IMO with your running hobby, it'll take you years to accomplish what could be done in months otherwise.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i have no advice,just respect and envy.when i was getting that close to those amount of miles,i didnt have the energy to do much of any kind of weight training.i couldnt eat enough to maintain either.
    good luck to you.
    asthmatic dumbass crew
    shop smart shop s mart
    i said all the words,mostly.
    member of the crew member crew.

Thanks for the replys. Sorry I never got back earlier been away for a week with no internet.

The more I read about the subject the more it seems like it is very difficult to build muslce. Opinions/advice are very much interested!¬

VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanHermanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was a long distance runner for most of my life, competitive in earlier days, and also finished 3 marathons (my last one was just under 3 hours). My body shape is typical for that pursuit. Started hitting the gym just over 3 years ago, and for the first 1.5 years I kept up the running - I was alternating weight training days with running days. I was super fit but my muscle gains were very poor. It wasn't until I dropped the long distance running almost all together that I started seeing the size increases I was expecting. It's sure been slow coming, and I expect that so many years of running has indeed optimized my body for that sport as Dru mentioned earlier. I'm determined to change it though! It sure does suck not being able to blast off a 10km in 45 mins with not too much effort though. :-) Decide what's really important for YOU.

Good luck!

TBH the running is the most important! So I will just have to be a scrawny bugger!