unleash the beast KagedBarbarian's Avatar
    KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Unleash the beast. Rise of a BARbarian-GST log

Hey all you bb.comers out there! If you're reading this it means you've shown some intrest in seeing my workouts and hopefully following along and seeing my progress! And I appreciate this and hope a few of you will stick around for the Rise of a BARbarian!

So a bit of background is where this tale of epic proportions will begin, i mean every great story has a prolouge right?

Anyway I've always been a smaller guy, I top the tape measure at 5'6" and currently weigh in at 136lbs. I was always smaller and that was ok but I became tired of it durring tge second half of high school. So I started to use the standard bench at home my dad had gotten. Unfortunetly I never stuck with it for more then a week or 2 at a time. And now here I am about 4 years removed from high school and I'm still the small guy...but now its high time to change that, its time to to unleash the beast, its time to for the rise of a BARbarian!

So I recently came upon GST from ryan miller and I've jumped right in and will be working closely with him for a while. And here's the workout that's beeb layed out for me:

Press Day:
    Core lift: flat bb bench press
    Supplement lift 1: incline db press
    Supplement lift 2: decline skullcrusher
    Supplement lift 3: bb over head press
    Direct ab work: plank variation
    Direct ab work: decline situp

Squat Day:
    Core lift: bb back squat
    Supplement lift 1: db walking lunges
    Weak point training: close grip bench press
    Supplement lift 2: bb front squat
    Supplement lift 3: leg extensions
    Direct ab work: hanging leg raises

Pull Day:
    Core lift: pullup
    Supplement lift 1: bent bb pendlay row
    Weak point training: flat db press
    Weak point training: flat bd flye
    Supplement lift 2: flat bench db row
    Supplement lift 3: standing bb curls

Lift Day:
    Core lift: conventional deadlift
    Supplement lift 1: bb shrugs
    Weak point training: seated db hammer curls
    Supplement lift 2: bb good mornings
    Supplement lift 3: lying leg curls
    Supplement lift 4: cable face pulls

So there's the training plan. I had my first workout last night of micro 0 to determine my core lift 1RM and get a feel for the supplement lifts. I follow the above schedule in order so it was press day. I know this is a long post already so ill update with the training session a bit later.

Thank you to anyone who has read this and is interested and chooses to stick around!

Hope you all will follow me on this new journey and will be watching the Rise of a BARbarian!
    Last edited by KagedBarbarian; 05-22-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    Unleash the beast within yourself. Become the barbarian you know you can be.

Hulk it up!!

"Train Hard. Train Smart. Grow."
    -Ryan Miller, GST

Professional Programming for Size & Strength. The Best Support. Complimentary Program Design.

www.growthstimulustraining.com

KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KagedBarbarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

05/19/2013 Press Day

So like I said here's my first training day from gst!

GST Press Day
    Micro 0 Macro n/a

Well lets get to it, I thought to myself as I hit the gym. Its time to train, its time to grow!

I started with a brisk 5 minute walk on the treadmil to warm up then I hit the bench...

Core lift: flat bb bench press
    Started myself off with some warm up sets..
    Wu 1: 1x10 @ 45lbs..always start with just the bar
    Wu 2: 1x8 @ 65lbs..keep warmups plentiful and have a slow workup
    Explosive wu: clapping pushups x 6
    Wu 3: 1x6 @ 85lbs..almost ready
    Explosive warmup: clapping pushups x 4
    Wu 4: 1x4 @ 95lbs..just about time to figure that 1rm
    Explosive warmup: clapping pushups x 2
    Work set: 1x8@ 115lbs..hit 8 reps could have tried for another but would have been a real tough one so called it.

1RM estimated equals 145lbs..

On to the supplement lifts!

Supplement 1: incline db press
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 20lbs..easy set continuous stable paced reps. Gonna try 25lbs for second set
    Set 2: 1x15 @ 25lbs..couldn't hit 20 so 25lbs would be much. Gonna try these at 22.5lbs next time

Supplement 2: decline skullcrushers
    Set1: 1x15 @ 35lbs..tough set gonna drop the weight
    Set 2: 1x15 @ 25lbs..tough again but gonna try both sets at 25lbs next time here to see how it goes

Supplement 3: bb overhead press
    Set 1: 1x15 @ 45lbs..just the bar and couldn't hit the 20. Don't wanna use db though so ill leave it.
    Set 2: 1x11 @ 45lbs..tough set and just couldn't get it up but can't use less then the bar so it'll stay. Ill try a longer rest after skullcrushers next time as its the arms/tris that I felt hindered me here

Ab work: planks
    Set 1: body weight x 60seconds..target is 90seconds but just couldn't make it. Ill work up to it though!
    Set 2: body weight x 60seconds. Same as first set almost didn't make it but I pushed for it.

Ab work: decline situps
    Set 1: body weight x 20..easy set steady reps all the way. Felt good.
    Set 2: body weight x 20..hit 20 again but had to take short pauses between reps after I hit 14. Gonna keep it at bw til both sets come steadily.

Well that was my first day and it felt great and I'm feeling it today. Cant wait to keep moving forward!

And to unleash the BARbarian I know I can be!

Hulk it up!!

-Ryan Miller, GST

Professional Programming for Size & Strength. The Best Support. Complimentary Program Design.

05/21/2013 squat day

GST Squat Day
    Micro 0 Macro n/a

Day 2 of gst! Squat/leg day...I'm in for a major love hate relationship with this day right here!

Core lift: BB back squat
    Wu 1: 1x10 @ 45lbs
    Wu 2: 1x8 @ 65lbs
    Explosive wu: squat jumps x 6
    Wu 3: 1x6 @ 85lbs
    Explosive wu: squat jumps x 4
    Wu 4: 1x4 @ 105lbs
    Explosive wu: squat jumps x 2
    Work set: 1x6 @ 135lbs

So micro 0 so a lot of warm ups and one work set to estimate my 1RM for my first macro. Felt good after the warm ups then rested a bit and did light stretching befote hitting the set. I possibly could have got another rep in but top of the 6th was enough of a struggle I didn't want to chance dropping the weight. My estimated 1RM came out to 160lbs.

Supplement 1: walking db lunges
    Set 1: 1x15 (each leg) @ 35lbs per hand
    Set 2: 1x15 (each leg) @ 25lbs per hand

Wow!! These were a lot more difficult then I expected. Legs really got to shaking as I continued on amd fell well short of the target of 20 reps. I went db over bb here for the added grip work it provides. I'm gonna try running both sets with 25lbs per hand next go.

Weak point training: close grip bench press
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 45lbs
    Set 2: 1x20 @ 55lbs

Hitting the chest and tris a bit today to help bring out my chest and arms as they are 2 areas I'm wanting to bring out. First set was real easy and I was surprised as my tris and outer chest were still a bit sore from press day. Didnt wanna over do it so added only 10 more pounds and was still an easy climb to 20 reps though I started to feel the burn in my tris high in the second set. Ill be doing this with more weight next time.

Supplement 2: BB front squats
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 45lbs
    Set 2: 1x20 @ 55lbs

I was not looking forward to these as my legs were feeling dead after the back squats and lunges. Not sure what I'd be able to handle so kept it light. Hit both sets so ill try these with more weight next go. Hardest part about these was actually the mental side of getting to 20 reps.

Supplement 3: leg extensions
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 35lbs
    Set 2: 1x20 @ 35lbs

These were easy yet hard. Felt my legs burning a bit. Exploded up and fought gravity a bit going down. No rep was that difficult so definitely will go higher weight next round.

Direct ab work: hanging leg raise
    Set 1: 1x20
    Set 2: 1x20

Unfortunetly I have to do these as knee raises for now can't get my legs up hifh enough for a proper rep straight or bent. Not to mention how heavy my legs felt after the leg work. Ill work up to actual leg raises though!

Overall a great training session and I'm sure ill be walking funny tomorrow! !

Hulk it up!!

-Ryan Miller, GST

Wow. The DOMs are in full effect for my legs today! I overslept a bit but oh well and thang gosh its a short day at work!

Bad thing? Imma be having to move a few things that are kinda heavy..I feel I may collaps lol

Hope everyone is having a great day! Kill them workouts

Hulk it up!!

-Ryan Miller, GST

Almost time for tonights workout!! Gst micro 0 pull day soon to come.

Who else likes working out late??

Hulk it up!!

-Ryan Miller, GST

05/23/2013

GST Pull Day
    Micro 0 macro n/a

I know its a bit late but here's my workout from last night

Core lift: pullup
    I warmed up for these with lat pulldowns..
    Wu 1: 1x10 @ 40lbs
    Wu 2: 1x8 @ 60lbs
    Wu 3: 1x6 @ 80lbs
    Wu 4: 1x4 @ 100lbs
    Work set (pullups): 1x7 @ 170lbs
    I weighed in with my gym clothes before the set at 145lbs and added a 25lb DB giving me 170lbs for the set. I managed 7 reps and that was better then I expected. This makes my estimated 1RM 210lbs for the pullup.

Supplement 1: bent bb pendlay rows
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 65lbs
    Set 2: 1x15 @ 55lbs
    Harder then I expected had to try dropping tthe weight on the second set but still tough. Also couldn't reach the ground each rep like you're supposed to for pendlay rows.

Weak point training: flat db press
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 25lbs per hand
    Set 2: 1x20 @ 25lbs per hand
    Good sets. Got harder but still made it. Gotta get used to DBs still though felt a lil odd.

Weak point training: flat db flye
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 20lbs per hand
    Set 2: 1x15 @ 20lbs per hand
    Great exercise really felt it. Last few reps on set one were tough and took everything I had to get 15 on set 2.

Supplement 2: flat bench db row
    Set 1: 1x20 @ 20lbs per arm
    Set 2: 1x20 @ 20lbs per arm
    Smooth easy sets and reps. Gonna go heavier next time.

Supplement 2: standing bb curls
    Set 1: 1x15 @ 45lbs
    Set 2: 1x8 @ 45lbs
    Wow these were hard. Didnt wanna use less then the bar but I'm gonna have to for now. Oh well I can only get stronger.

And that wrapped up my pull day!

Hulk it up!!

-Ryan Miller, GST