scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Being Judged for being healthy

Anyone else sick of being judged for trying to be healthy? I get asked constantly if I am okay...if something has happened. Why do people see me trying to eat healthy, be healthier, live longer as an indication of unhappiness or something bad happening in my life. Surely it should be the opposite??

EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EllenRipley has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    All the time. In any aspect of my life.
    Read Ayn Rand - "The Virtues of Selfishness"
    you are what you eat

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by scotthm2 View Post
    Why do people see me trying to eat healthy, be healthier, live longer as an indication of unhappiness or something bad happening in my life.
    Those new to the fitness world tend to step up to the pulpit and preach their awakening. Many people just become tired of the rhetoric.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is just my opinion as someone who is fairly fit (hey, my weight reflects having a baby last month) and has been lifting for about 8 years now.

Just don't talk about it?

Practice what you preach first. Remember a lifestyle is that - a lifestyle - it is not something you've done for a few weeks or even months, it's something you've done for a while and it is just a regular way of living. Nobody criticizes my lifestyle (except lifting when pregnant but whatever) - they don't criticize it because I don't "blah blah blah" about it.

I know a few girls I used to work with who got into Tosca's whole "clean eating" bandwagon and good grief, they could not SHUT UP about eating clean and lifting!!! I'm sure many of you don't realize you do this, but you do. I get it - it's exciting - I love lifting and I don't like eating junk - but reign it in.

New lifters tend to turn into the "bridezilla" 5 minutes after the engagement. It's like being a mom for the 1st time and everyone needs to hear about your baby. Cool it!

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Another motto I have- Let your physique speak for itself. No need to talk, just let it speak for itself.

That's why I like this forum, I can talk with people who have the same mindset without sounding preachy to my real life who don't care.

chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100) chibito is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yeah, i get some of that.

Just do your thing ando don´t preach about it.
    The secret of life is to die before you die and find that there is no death.

♞♞♞ Misc Horse Head Crew ♞♞♞

JOINT PAIN? See this thread. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152769433

scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm not sure how everyone got the impression that I go around preaching about my healthy habit lol! The reason why I post/am on here is it the only time I get to talk about lifting/diet. It's why I started a journal.

I'm not sure how everyone got the impression that I go around preaching about my healthy habit lol! The reason why I post/am on here is it the only time I get to talk about lifting/diet. It's why I started a journal.
    The thing is, that often people who are new to fitness come off as "preachy" in real life when there is no intention. Maybe you do, maybe you don't - it's just wise to keep that in mind. I don't see how people can "judge" you for lifting or eating well if you don't talk about it right?

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sometimes, people may judge because if they are not keeping a healthy lifestyle themselves, they have one less person to join them. lol
    Easier to get you to backslide off the healthy wagon, than for them to jump onto yours.
    That's true with most things in life, that require effort, and change.
    Just do your thing...and perhaps, someday....those same people who question you, will be joining you!

lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just carry on. When people see your results, they won't ask why - they will ask you how (you did it).

Probably the same way everyone judged me as preachy without my saying anything?!
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    The thing is, that often people who are new to fitness come off as "preachy" in real life when there is no intention. Maybe you do, maybe you don't - it's just wise to keep that in mind. I don't see how people can "judge" you for lifting or eating well if you don't talk about it right?

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Probably the same way everyone judged me as preachy without my saying anything?!

in your 1st post you say people are asking if you are okay or if something has happened. why do you see it as 'judging'? isn't that a reflection of yourself?

couldn't it be because you yourself have changed and see anything that doesn't match your new 'health' standards as subpar and coming from a bad place?

perhaps others around you have noticed you do things 'differently' and are genuinely concerned as to the reasons behind it. you have to realise that most 'normal' people do not necessarily consider themselves to be 'unhealthy' in the first place.

if someone around you suddenly went nuts and refused to go out, restricted her food choices, stopped eating what she used to for no good reason and went to the gym all the time . . . wouldn't you be worried?
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

I never said you were preachy, I haven't been there for any of your conversations. I said new lifters tend to get excited about their new life-changing events (like bridezilla or new mom) and to be careful about coming off as preachy. There is a big difference.

Even experienced lifters have to keep this in mind - I've been training for a fair number of years and have to keep myself in check at times, one thing I need to remember is that while I know a decent amount about training, it doesn't give me license to pick apart when I hear things that I know aren't really my place, sort of a MYOB thing.

This comes up every so often here and it is always by new lifters - a few pages of chatter and it comes out that they are USUALLY just talking about it a lot and that gets others (who are not interested) annoyed. So, just saying to be mindful of that.

And as Miranda says, this usually applies too:
    couldn't it be because you yourself have changed and see anything that doesn't match your new 'health' standards as subpar and coming from a bad place?