Football199677 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High School Fullback Size

This is my senior year and I have played 8th grade, freshmen, and sophomore year. I weigh 185 pounds and am 5'9. It's currently the off season and have been lifting 4-5 days a week. I have 2 months till I change to lifting 3 days a week and running/agility drills 3-4 days a week. This will last about 3 months. Then it's summer camp. All 3 years I have played defensive end and really loved it. But then I started to realize I really don't have the height. I played a little full back near the end of the season at practice and really liked it. Giving the specific time I have till summer camp and my 4-5 day workout and supplements how much more weight do you think I can and should gain to be a great full back? This is for high school varsity. I'm really curious about this. Thanks

Offseason Workout and Supplements (2 more months till spring training):

Mondays and Thursdays: Chest, Back and Bis.

Tuesdays and Fridays: Legs, Shoulders, Tris

Wednesdays or Saturdays: Core

About 4-5 workouts a body part.

I take PMD pre-workout ACG3 and a high protein post shake (41g PMD Amplify XL) every time I lift.

ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what kind of fullback are you? primarily blocking? or are you in a wing- t offense and run the ball a lot

Originally Posted by ThisGame31 View Post
    what kind of fullback are you? primarily blocking? or are you in a wing- t offense and run the ball a lot
    My team uses there fullback most of the time for blocking. But sometimes they run the ball but rarely.

ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would say to aim for 15 lbs to get u to 200. Eat alot of clean food and follow your lifting n running program.

I would say to aim for 15 lbs to get u to 200. Eat alot of clean food and follow your lifting n running program.
    Alright. Do you think I should take a mass gainer or would I be able to gain that 15 pounds in 6 months? I know a mass gainer is for really skinny guys and I'm not in that category

blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Football199677 View Post
    Alright. Do you think I should take a mass gainer or would I be able to gain that 15 pounds in 6 months? I know a mass gainer is for really skinny guys and I'm not in that category
    2.5 pounds a month is reasonable. But fullback is more about attitude than size. I do know someone that plays for an FCS school he is 5'9" 200 and he is a great fullback but while he is very athletic the main thing that makes him so great is his refusal to go down on first contact. He blocks the same way. He really doesn't care how big the other guy is when he is blocking.
    "Hey ladies, hey gentlemen, hey everybody...One more time for the Greatest Team in America!!!!"- ERK RUSSELL
    I rep back.
    Got negged twice in one day for believing in God. Guess what? I still believe in God.
    >>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>
    CSCS by the NSCA

Originally Posted by blitz042000 View Post
    2.5 pounds a month is reasonable. But fullback is more about attitude than size. I do know someone that plays for an FCS school he is 5'9" 200 and he is a great fullback but while he is very athletic the main thing that makes him so great is his refusal to go down on first contact. He blocks the same way. He really doesn't care how big the other guy is when he is blocking.
    Yea this, you really do gotta have that mentality that your the baddest mother ****er out there, in HS i always blocked linebackers and loved doing that but in college we run a lot of play where i block the DE's not only is it harder to get an angle on them but most are a good bit bigger then LB's, just gotta adapt and overcome.

Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude, the bigger the better. You should aim at 200-215 and you'd be a beast.
    You can gain that much in that period of time if you work out hard.
    Do some plyometrics to increase your explosive, and eat like a man.
    When does Spring training start for you guys?
    (I'm a LB 6' 200)

Originally Posted by blitz042000 View Post
    Not trying to sound cocky which is what I'm far from but I've been described as refusing to go down and having a really hard initial contact so this gives me a lot of hope. Thanks! and the schools around here are FCS

Originally Posted by Footballdude101 View Post
    (I'm a LB 6' 200)
    Yeah that's what I'm shooting for. I've been incorporating some plyometrics on my leg days but for the next 2 months I'm focusing on bulking up and strength then when spring training hits I'll be doing plyometrics like 4-5 days a week with my lifting and running. Umm I can't remember the date. I'm personally gonna start that 3 day a week lifting/3-4 day running that I mentioned in the first post at the very top in the beginning of march.

Yea this, you really do gotta have that mentality that your the baddest mother ****er out there, in HS i always blocked linebackers and loved doing that but in college we run a lot of play where i block the DE's not only is it harder to get an angle on them but most are a good bit bigger then LB's, just gotta adapt and overcome.
    Oh yeah that's what a lot of our plays want the full back to do is go after the DE's.

(I'm a LB 6' 200)
    I agree with you 100% about bigger the better it's just I don't want to put on to many pounds that would slow me down you know? Cause a lot of times I play DE and speed kills.

TPriz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In order to gain 15 pounds in 6 months you'll need to track your calories. I would actually say just aim to gain a pound a week. To do that increase your daily intake by 500. If you gained a pound a week you'd gain 25 lbs or so in 6 months. And as long as you stay in decent shape cardio wise, you'll be ready for football. Don't make the mistake I did, I'm only 5'6 and I was a runningback. I trained all year for my first year starting on varsity (I was about to be a junior) but I was afraid of gaining fat. I tried to slowly gain weight and only got to 155 lbs. I did fine but because I was undersized, the hits I took seemed to take a bigger toll than in years past. I ended up gettin my knees taken out and tore my acl. I'm not going to be able to play this year because of it, and I blame it on being so undersized. Just focus on gaining weight, good or bad. You'll get both no matter what. I really wish I would have seen that.

bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500)
    I would say focus on your lifts. I lost a lot of agility thinking scale increases were pure muscle when I was playing.

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with you 100% about bigger the better it's just I don't want to put on to many pounds that would slow me down you know? Cause a lot of times I play DE and speed kills.
    This is how I look at my training to be a college linebacker next year: I would much rather be 200 lbs and agile instead of 210 where those extra 10 pounds are fat. Yes, getting bigger is nice, but it comes at a price. It is a tough balance and I am always fighting myself between eating more and being afraid of getting fat. You need to eat to gain muscle, but only enough to gain muscle and not too much fat.
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

Originally Posted by TPriz View Post
    In order to gain 15 pounds in 6 months you'll need to track your calories. I would actually say just aim to gain a pound a week. To do that increase your daily intake by 500. If you gained a pound a week you'd gain 25 lbs or so in 6 months. And as long as you stay in decent shape cardio wise, you'll be ready for football. Don't make the mistake I did, I'm only 5'6 and I was a runningback. I trained all year for my first year starting on varsity (I was about to be a junior) but I was afraid of gaining fat. I tried to slowly gain weight and only got to 155 lbs. I did fine but because I was undersized, the hits I took seemed to take a bigger toll than in years past. I ended up gettin my knees taken out and tore my acl. I'm not going to be able to play this year because of it, and I blame it on being so undersized. Just focus on gaining weight, good or bad. You'll get both no matter what. I really wish I would have seen that.
    Damn that sucks.. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope the recovery is going ok and yeah my main focus is getting bigger and faster. Thanks

Originally Posted by LiftNPlay View Post
    This is how I look at my training to be a college linebacker next year: I would much rather be 200 lbs and agile instead of 210 where those extra 10 pounds are fat. Yes, getting bigger is nice, but it comes at a price. It is a tough balance and I am always fighting myself between eating more and being afraid of getting fat. You need to eat to gain muscle, but only enough to gain muscle and not too much fat.
    Yeah I agree 100%. Glad you agree. Thanks

So yes or no to the mass gainer? If I'm not super skinny and don't have a crazy high metabolism would it slow me down or do you think I should take it to gain some weight and deliver some hard hitting hits/blocks against the 6'3 235lb DE's

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Don't get mass gainer. Just eat more food (if you are not gaining about one pound per week; if you are, keep eating the same amount). Getting x amount of cals from mass gainer is no different from getting the same amount from other food (besides protein solubility and BCAAs but if you are taking decent whey you are already getting your BCAAs).

Bottom line: Calc ur macros (sticky in the Nutrition section), track them for about a week to get a feel for how much you should be eating, and then stop (or keep going if you don't mind the hassle of measuring your food) and weigh yourself on a regular basis.
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Footballdude101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Haha, D-end I was one a couple years ago. Man that ****'s fun, ah the feeling of sacking a QB is wonderful....And you can't really screw up being a d-end so you never get **** from the coach. Man, I wish I still one.

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mass gainers are great because they give you a lot of vitamins and nutrients that are difficult to get in a normal daily diet. Since I've been on my mass gainer I've gone from 180 lbs to 196 lbs in 9 months.
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Barbell Bench Press - 295 lbs
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs

Haha, D-end I was one a couple years ago. Man that ****'s fun, ah the feeling of sacking a QB is wonderful....And you can't really screw up being a d-end so you never get **** from the coach. Man, I wish I still one.
    Yeah I agree. I love it

Originally Posted by LuckSide View Post
    Mass gainers are great because they give you a lot of vitamins and nutrients that are difficult to get in a normal daily diet. Since I've been on my mass gainer I've gone from 180 lbs to 196 lbs in 9 months.
    Yeah but your metabolism is probably high as ****. Mine isn't low but it's not off the chart. Plus mass gainers only last for like 2 of 3 weeks

Originally Posted by LuckSide View Post
    By the way what you can lift now from what you could 8 months ago is amazing. The fact your numbers went up so high in that short amount of time is ****ing incredible. Good job. Just felt like I needed to say that haha

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah but your metabolism is probably high as ****. Mine isn't low but it's not off the chart. Plus mass gainers only last for like 2 of 3 weeks
    Yeah my metabolism is pretty high, but your intake needs to be high if you want to put on more size. I use I****ss Xtreme Gainer and it lasts about a month because I take 2 scoops instead of 3 for each serving. I take it every morning and then also after my workouts.
    By the way what you can lift now from what you could 8 months ago is amazing. The fact your numbers went up so high in that short amount of time is ****ing incredible. Good job. Just felt like I needed to say that haha
    Thanks man, it has been a tough road but if you put your whole being into it and work really hard there is nothing that can stop you.
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Barbell Bench Press - 295 lbs
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs