Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000)

The return of aesthetics?

When Dexter won in 2008 there was a collective glimmer of hope that perhaps aesthetics would gain more weight in judging parameters in the near future and perhaps reverse the mass-above-all-else trend that had dominated the sport recently.

Since then a few guys have popped up with incredibly aesthetic physiques and all of them have been rewarded with good placements in Olympia competitions where they were not expected to do anything special. Their performances also seemed to really affect people, there is a feeling of "could this be it? Is this the Savior? The one who will bring back that golden age proportionality back to the Sandow?"

2011 - Brandon Curry

I was watching the Olympia with my gf ( who'd never seen a bodybuilding contest before) and we both uttered the same thing when this guy walked out:
    "Wow." she went on and said "This guy has a beautiful body. Not like the others."

The tiny waist and massive shoulders were incredible.

2012 - Shawn Rhoden

3rd place in the Olympia, out of nowhere, blew everybody's minds with the round muscle bellies, slim waist, great conditioning...

And this year the guy everybody is talking about:

Already saying the Arnold is practically his, and Future Mr.O, etc.

I for one and glad to see these guys take the spotlight. I honestly feel that the sport`s future champions are having the kind of physique that most men would want, not just a few.

So for next year... I really hope to see Rhoden and MicMillan duke it out against Phil's ever-growing arms.
    Weight on the bar, food in your stomach, more of both = more muscle. Don't make this harder than it is. - VikingMan

sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sexnews has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Could also just be that these guys are only now really getting in shape.

Even Dex was better this year.

VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000) VagabondLifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sexnews View Post
    Could also just be that these guys are only now really getting in shape.

Even Dex was better this year.
    And yet he lost to Warren. We're not quite there yet.
    Weight on the bar, food in your stomach, more of both = more muscle. Don't make this harder than it is. - VikingMan

detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) detrimental is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the return of proportions

TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When the head judge of the Olympia brings up aesthetics you have to consider that it is a legitimate term applicable to bodybuilders now, like it or not. Surely?

TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheMullah View Post
    When the head judge of the Olympia brings up aesthetics you have to consider that it is a legitimate term applicable to bodybuilders now, like it or not. Surely?
    head judge or layne natty norton?

trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    it's always been a consideration in judging

TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheMullah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TTimmerman View Post
    head judge or layne natty norton?
    Lol! But I was meant the female head judge in that write up she did after.

well tbh, there is nothing wrong with the term... it has just gotten overly used and most can't even stand it anymore. i'd like to do a shoutout to the boys in the misc

Registered User orderoutofchaos's Avatar
    orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000) orderoutofchaos is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think it's time to just erase talk about aesthetics and just start posting more big ced pix

MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    well tbh, there is nothing wrong with the term... it has just gotten overly used and most can't even stand it anymore. i'd like to do a shoutout to the boys in the misc
    Im in the "hate" bracket.
    I overhead a guy telling his friends he didnt squat because he was training for aesthetics!
    Its not that its a bad term, its that its become an excuse for training hard for people that seem to think that can actually train a certain way to obtain aesthetics.
    I Discovered A Meal Between Breakfast And Brunch

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Okay, guys, let me throw this one out at ya:

the biggest difference between most sports, and Bodybuilding, a very SUBJECTIVE sport, is STATISTICS!

I could say that I deserve to win the division in Baseball/Football/BBBall, etc, but, the fact remains, that if your record is better than mine, end of argument...

I could say I am a better hitter than you, but if you finish the year with the highest batting average, you win the batting title..period...

etc. and so on.....

Recently, in Boxing, there has been talk of using punch stats to help determine points in non knockout rounds: this is a step in the RIGHT direction.

what direction? Narrowing down the SUBJECTIVE factor , as much as is possible.

SO: why couldn't Bodybuilding incorporate some sorts of statistics??

"Aesthetics" is not just a visual thing, it is supported by various measurements, and more importantly, various RATIOS, hence, the catch word "proportions".....

might be possible to actually include some sort of stats, or bunch of stats into an index of sorts, not unlike a "Sabremetric" for BB.....

no..it would be challenging, but it could be done.

Keeping in mind that measurements would have to be taken in multiple spots for the same muscles: IE: just measuring the PEAK of the biceps would fail to include, say, lower Bicep development...

and of course, Bodyfat percentages as we know are very measurable....

just a thought, and something to throw out there, and as I said, it wouldn't be easy, but it would add another element towards the overall judging.
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    here's an example: let's take the nebulous and dubious "MOST MUSCULAR" award, which amazingly, is still used in certain contests.

If we are both 5 foot 8, and you have a measurable lean body mass of 180 pounds, and mine is 170 pounds, then: who is "more muscular"?

this is a singular element, but the answer, if ever done, would have to incorporate many different factors, again, into some sort of index.
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the return of proportions
    Not just any proportions, aesthetic proportions.

stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    Okay, guys, let me throw this one out at ya:

the biggest difference between most sports, and Bodybuilding, a very SUBJECTIVE sport, is STATISTICS!

I could say that I deserve to win the division in Baseball/Football/BBBall, etc, but, the fact remains, that if your record is better than mine, end of argument...

I could say I am a better hitter than you, but if you finish the year with the highest batting average, you win the batting title..period...

etc. and so on.....

Recently, in Boxing, there has been talk of using punch stats to help determine points in non knockout rounds: this is a step in the RIGHT direction.

what direction? Narrowing down the SUBJECTIVE factor , as much as is possible.

SO: why couldn't Bodybuilding incorporate some sorts of statistics??

"Aesthetics" is not just a visual thing, it is supported by various measurements, and more importantly, various RATIOS, hence, the catch word "proportions".....

might be possible to actually include some sort of stats, or bunch of stats into an index of sorts, not unlike a "Sabremetric" for BB.....

no..it would be challenging, but it could be done.

Keeping in mind that measurements would have to be taken in multiple spots for the same muscles: IE: just measuring the PEAK of the biceps would fail to include, say, lower Bicep development...

and of course, Bodyfat percentages as we know are very measurable....

just a thought, and something to throw out there, and as I said, it wouldn't be easy, but it would add another element towards the overall judging.

By not using measurements, it integrates posing into the judging. The judges judge how a competitor looks, so a competitor's ability to display their physique is automatically taken into account, as poor posing hides one's physique and muscles won't look as separated if they're not flexed.
    Last edited by stealth_swimmer; 12-22-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loastres will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    People like Dexter/Rhoden/Cedric won because they were simply better then everybody else, condition and size wise.
    Doesnt have to do anything with aesthetics.

Once the "Aesthetic" people start winning over the mass monsters like Ruhl / coleman (wich there are not many this era), then we can start discussing your idea.

Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm tempted to do a lower biceps joke, considering how much that amuses me...but i'll let it slide. I'll just tell you this - SEO makes measurements useless and false.
    People these days have more reps than brain cells

FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the return of the trolls

FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by VagabondLifter View Post
    does anyone think his fdb would look better if he pretended to have a spinal cord?

RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Female judging? wtf...

Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by FAN0FdaSport View Post
    does anyone think his fdb would look better if he pretended to have a spinal cord?
    Lol!
    ~Jesus Christ Is My Savior Crew~

The land at the end of our toes goes on and on,
    The sand at the core of our bones continues on

Hey I just met you. And this is crazy. But today is chest day. So spot me maybe?

Art thou prone to such insurmountable force upon thou biceps?

PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    aesthetics? more like genetics/proportions.
    i rep metalcore fans

disregard aesthetics, acquire gluttonous winter bulk.
    1k+

u mad i lift in work clothes?

Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PlzN0Alesana View Post
    aesthetics? more like genetics/proportions.
    No no no, my bicep curls will make my arms more aesthetic than yours. It's all in the technique you see.

Originally Posted by Groggery View Post
    No no no, my bicep curls will make my arms more aesthetic than yours. It's all in the technique you see.
    only if you do those curls in the squat rack

Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riflemancho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    only if you do those curls in the squat rack
    But with straight bar curl.
    Greatest bodybuilder ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb0oPwF4VZE&feature=related
    Mx3

Originally Posted by Riflemancho View Post
    But with straight bar curl.
    holy **** i thought EZ bar was for aesthetics? what have i done

holy **** i thought EZ bar was for aesthetics? what have i done
    Lose all that mass and start over.

Originally Posted by Loastres View Post
    People like Dexter/Rhoden/Cedric won because they were simply better then everybody else, condition and size wise.
    Doesnt have to do anything with aesthetics.

Once the "Aesthetic" people start winning over the mass monsters like Ruhl / coleman (wich there are not many this era), then we can start discussing your idea.
    Without a concept of aesthetics, explicit or implicit, you have no way of telling what's "better"...so lol @ saying aesthetics isn't involved.

If it weren't involved, then judges wouldn't judge the way they do - based on how an athlete looks on stage. Instead, they would take measurements such as tape measurements of biceps, legs, etc and bodyfat %

Poppin Rolaids like Candy PillClinton's Avatar
    PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000) PillClinton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FAN0FdaSport View Post
    the return of the trolls

Its even worse. Trolls, who don't even know they are troll, who hate trolls.

Reminds me of a dave chapelle skit