galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Weighted Vest for Female Firefighter?

I'm looking to buy a 75 lb weighted vest that will primarily be used for climbing stairs/hills to train for the WFX-FIT. Other uses include training for firefighter combat challenge and rock climbing, neither of which require the full 75 lbs.

When I trained for the WFX-FIT last year I filled a backpack with 75 lbs of weights, which wasn't the smartest thing for my back... it's time to buy a vest. When lurking through the forum it seems like the V-max/V-force and MiR are top choices. X-vest looks nice but is out of my price range.

I couldn't decide based on what I read because reviews of weight vests for women were usually for a 30-40 lb range, and guys have a different build so I'm not sure if that would greatly affect what I would need to get.

Weightvest.com has a list of vests used for firefighter training but they're all mens vests, and I'm worried that "the girls" might not fit comfortably into those (34DD). The same site has a 75 lb v-max designed for women but I haven't found any reviews of it, and I'm a bit wary of dropping that much $ on something I can't find a review for. The "Y" shape of the womens vest doesn't look like it would be much more comfortable, but then again why would they make a different vest if there wasn't some sort of benefit to it. Being a firefighter, I'm used to using things designed for men, so would using a weighted vest designed for men vs women really make a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by galaxygirl23 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a 75 lb weighted vest that will primarily be used for climbing stairs/hills to train for the WFX-FIT. Other uses include training for firefighter combat challenge and rock climbing, neither of which require the full 75 lbs.

When I trained for the WFX-FIT last year I filled a backpack with 75 lbs of weights, which wasn't the smartest thing for my back... it's time to buy a vest. When lurking through the forum it seems like the V-max/V-force and MiR are top choices. X-vest looks nice but is out of my price range.

I couldn't decide based on what I read because reviews of weight vests for women were usually for a 30-40 lb range, and guys have a different build so I'm not sure if that would greatly affect what I would need to get.

Weightvest.com has a list of vests used for firefighter training but they're all mens vests, and I'm worried that "the girls" might not fit comfortably into those (34DD). The same site has a 75 lb v-max designed for women but I haven't found any reviews of it, and I'm a bit wary of dropping that much $ on something I can't find a review for. The "Y" shape of the womens vest doesn't look like it would be much more comfortable, but then again why would they make a different vest if there wasn't some sort of benefit to it. Being a firefighter, I'm used to using things designed for men, so would using a weighted vest designed for men vs women really make a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Unfortunately most vests are designed as a unisex model, meaning they don't fit anyone perfectly but more cater to the male physique.

When I was doing some CPAT facilitation a few years back I found that females found the vests with multiple cross straps to be the most comfortable. Here is the style of vest that I think you'll be suited best for.

Obviously that is just a 45lb vest, but I'm sure you get the idea. The weights are basically a bunch of small sand bags so they somewhat conform to your body. You can snug up the bottom straps independently from the top ones. It may not be extremely comfortable for your "girls" but I don't think there is such thing as a comfortable weighted vest for anyone.

Due to the considerations you're looking for I wouldn't drop a penny on a vest without trying it on first. Have you considered a weighted belt or one of those weighted thigh rigs? The heavier the vest the more it will probably be a challenge for you so these may be a reasonable alternative. Even with the CPAT, the ladies only use a 40lb vest, with additional weights temporarily velcro'd to the shoulders. And the shoulder weights come off after they finish the step mill.

Have you spoken with the physical fitness trainer in your dept? Often they have contacts in the fitness industry where they can point you at least in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Where are you located? That might help us find stores in your area that stock weighted vests. You'll want to try one on before you buy it to make sure it works for you and the girls.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What sort of weight are you lifting in the various compound movements? (squatting, deadlifting, bench, rows, standing press etc). Just curious as I'm not even sure if you NEED the vest. They are a good tool to use, but if your lifts are weak, you may be better off just focusing on your gym work for a while to get yourself strong and injuryproof, before using the vest. When you get the lifts up, that would be the time I would think you should get the vest.

If you are set on having the vest, you have the brands down. Any more then a 45 lb vest is unnecassary for you IMHO, but it all depends where your lifts are at.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    What sort of weight are you lifting in the various compound movements? (squatting, deadlifting, bench, rows, standing press etc). Just curious as I'm not even sure if you NEED the vest. They are a good tool to use, but if your lifts are weak, you may be better off just focusing on your gym work for a while to get yourself strong and injuryproof, before using the vest. When you get the lifts up, that would be the time I would think you should get the vest.

If you are set on having the vest, you have the brands down. Any more then a 45 lb vest is unnecassary for you IMHO, but it all depends where your lifts are at.
    Because she's training for the firefighter combat challenge where you have a total of about 60lbs of gear that restricts your breathing and movement. For firefighter competition or job training there is nothing that simulates workload like a weighted vest. They've been a part of our physical training for over 30 years, before they were trendy, when vests often cost about $300 a piece because there was so little demand for them.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I came across this last week while browsing for toys. Looks like its about $85US and I doubt you'll find anything that simulates a BA (or that wildland pump) like this would.

http://store.sorinex.com/Sorinex-Loa...r-p/sor-lt.htm

To P&I's point, I can't see an advantage to a vest unless you've reached a strength plateau and are trying to simulate this type of work to condition for competition (or your job). While there is no doubt an advantage to using one for the right purpose, your are also using it for 2 very different FF competitions (2 minutes of combat vs. 13(?) minutes for the wildland test.

I'd just get some old 65mm hose and make a highrise pack to carry around. You can squat with it, carry it on alternating shoulders, press it, drag it, throw it, deadlift it, etc
    Last edited by GarageIron; 12-21-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    Because she's training for the firefighter combat challenge where you have a total of about 60lbs of gear that restricts your breathing and movement. For firefighter competition or job training there is nothing that simulates workload like a weighted vest. They've been a part of our physical training for over 30 years, before they were trendy, when vests often cost about $300 a piece because there was so little demand for them.
    I'm not disputing thier usefullness, or application for our job, I was just curious about OPs other training, before just saying "yeah, go get one". Worse case scenario; the OP squats a 45 lbs bar for 8 reps, in which case why would I recommend she loads 60 lbs on to a weight vest and then start running up stairs with it.

When it comes for training for the job, or FF challenge, there is one tool you can use to simulate the workload very effectively- your actual bunkers, and a BA set. I've even heard of many departments buying lightweight (yet NFPA compliant) bunkers just for use in the competition. So just by wearing your normal turnout gear during training you're already going to be overloading. A vest is never going to simulate the heat buildup, offset balance, restricted and resisted movement of a set of bunkers and a BA set, its just a tool in the box IMHO.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000) 2bars is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by galaxygirl23 View Post
    filled a backpack with 75 lbs of weights, which wasn't the smartest thing for my back
    Always wondered, what if we just filled 2 backpacks with weights and then just wore one of them on our front?

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    I'm not disputing thier usefullness, or application for our job, I was just curious about OPs other training, before just saying "yeah, go get one". Worse case scenario; the OP squats a 45 lbs bar for 8 reps, in which case why would I recommend she loads 60 lbs on to a weight vest and then start running up stairs with it.

When it comes for training for the job, or FF challenge, there is one tool you can use to simulate the workload very effectively- your actual bunkers, and a BA set. I've even heard of many departments buying lightweight (yet NFPA compliant) bunkers just for use in the competition. So just by wearing your normal turnout gear during training you're already going to be overloading. A vest is never going to simulate the heat buildup, offset balance, restricted and resisted movement of a set of bunkers and a BA set, its just a tool in the box IMHO.
    Most competitive challenge teams in North America do buy separate turnout sets. I wouldn't want to train in mine regularly. It sinks and so many studies have proven that the chemicals from the smoke stay on your gear for very long periods of time. I don't want to be taking in deeper breaths of air when that air is not clean. Mine don't even come inside the house when I have to bring them home. I certainly agree that the best way to prepare for some of the realities you will face in the competition can only be done with bunker gear, helmet and SCBA. Unfortunately that isn't always realistic for everyone. I would further agree that the weighted vest is a tool in the toobox.

galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) galaxygirl23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you everyone so much for your responses! I really appreciate your help

smokeater-- not all too much help from the training dept. They were able to tell me of some guys that have vests but that's about it. I like the idea of using sand bags for conformity, but I am looking for a vest that can go up to 75 lbs mostly for the WFX-FIT test. For part of it you have a 65 lb pack and a 10 lb belt on going up a 35 degree ramp. Killer!

trimble006-- I'm in Nova Scotia but I travel to Massachusetts often. I'm guessing vests would be cheaper in the states so I was planning on getting one there or ordering one and having it shipped there.

ProtienandIron-- here's what I lift, all weights are for 3-4 sets of 10 reps:
    Squat: 130 lbs
    Deadlift: 130 lbs
    Bench: this is really embarrassing to admit but I've never actually benched before...
    Barbell Rows: 65 lbs (so close to 70 but I can't get the full 10 reps yet)
    Standing press: I've only done this with dumbbells, 30 lbs each dumbbell (60 lbs total)

There's obviously room for improvement but I don't see the point in pushing for more weight (for the purposes of the test/competition) because my main issue is endurance. I can do each component of the combat challenge fine (tried to post a link to a CC vid and WFX-FIT cite but I can't post links since I don't have 50 posts yet), but I find the stairs the hardest and that's what you have to do first. Same problem with the WFX-FIT. The weight of the pack and belt itself isn't a problem, it's just going over that ramp so many times with that weight on, the cardio is what kills me. I've been doing some HIIT to help with the cardio, but I feel like doing something that's close to what the test requires (having an extra 75 lbs on while going up hills or stairs) would be most beneficial. I'm not a personal trainer and I don't have a kine degree so I don't actually know, it just makes the most sense to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

GarageIron-- Awesome find!! That looks a lot like what they use for the WFX-FIT.

Regarding the "real deal" training. My department has a 3 story training tower that has each component of the combat challenge in/around it. Access to it is somewhat limited (it's in a public works area) and you're not allowed to go alone. I practice the actual thing in full bunker/BA when I can but due to limited accessibility it's not enough. Also like smokeater said, your gear holds carcinogenic chemicals for a long time and I don't have a separate set to train in. I'm looking for a vest so I can still do similar training when I'm unable to do full practices in the tower. I need to work on my endurance when I have that much extra weight on!

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)