Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)

Grip strength problem on trap bar deadlifts

Yes, I use a trap bar for deadlifts. I just think that I get more overall lower body development from the trap bar. However, I'm running into an issue with grip. I was deadlifting last night with 365 on the trap bar. On my 6th rep of my 5th set, my left hand, my dominant hand, started to lose grip on the bar. It wouldn't be so bad if I thought I was near muscular failure, but I was not. I felt like I had another 3-4 reps in me. Now there are 2 things that have an obvious impact on my grip. First, I don't have the largest hands in the world, and second, I do have some tendonitis and general repetitive stress pain/weakness from my desk job. I should note that I use Versa gripps when deadlifting, which seems to help some when compared to bare handed w/ chalk, but it's only about 1 rep difference. What I'm looking for is suggestions to help improve my grip strength from those of you who may have battled the same issue.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 12-20-2012 at 08:13 AM.

AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been battling grip strength for most of my lifting (small hands, too), and after reading many suggestions and trying most everything, I finally gave up and just started going barehanded with chalk. I'm not lifting nearly what you are, but my grip strength has improved tremendously in the last few months while I am seeing gains in the deadlift. I've probably limited my back development a bit, but I figure that my grip will catch up soon enough at the rate it's progressing. I consider it an investment.

I find the MOST challenging for my grip, and also therfore the best training, is dumbbell lunges. After doing three sets to about 10-12 reps, my hands/forearms are screaming at me. If you don't do those on leg days, you might try it for building grip. It's worked well for me.

I'll watch this thread though for pointers!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    What I'm looking for is suggestions to help improve my grip strength from those of you who may have battled the same issue.

Try doing several sets of Bar Holds at the end of your Deadlift day workout.

Set the pins in a power rack to hold the bar a few inches below the point where it dead-hangs in your hands. Load it with your current deadlift max weight, pick it up, and hold it as long as possible. Do three 'sets,' working to increase your hold time week-to-week. When you can hold the loaded bar for 20-25 seconds per set, increase the weight.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

Set the pins in a power rack to hold the bar a few inches below the point where it dead-hangs in your hands. Load it with your current deadlift max weight, pick it up, and hold it as long as possible. Do three 'sets,' working to increase your hold time week-to-week. When you can hold the loaded bar for 20-25 seconds per set, increase the weight.
    I opened this thread to post this. Barbell static holds are a great supplemental exercise if grip strength is your limiting factor with deadlifts. Farmers walks can help too. I used to do deadlifts one day of the week, then 3 days later spend maybe 15 minutes training grip strength. I got up to 435 with double overhand grip deadlifts this way (chalk but no straps). I switched to a mixed grip to get to 500, but that was a mistake.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    To get the most out of my back training, I use versa grips when my grip fails.

I still work my grip strength up to that point and with static holds, farmers walks etc...
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Registered User ChicagoWineGeek's Avatar
    ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChicagoWineGeek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have just started to run into grip strength issues on the Lat Pulldown machine. When I started lifting, I was at about 130lbs. Now I'm at 190lbs but when I hit failure at 8 reps on a 12/10/8 set, it is more from not being able to hold on to the bar. Also looking for ways to increase my grip strength to break 200lbs on Lat Pulldown and keep going up!

DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DougL is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Versa Gripps

I am not sure I would sacrifice my back development to improve grip strength. I have used Versa Gripps now for 3+ years and it has really allowed me develop my back since my grip never gives out. Your normal forearm exercises should continue to help improve your grip.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree, do some static holds. I was just deadlifting the hex bar last night, watch this set with 515, I do a few reps and I hold it.

Static holds are great for increasing deadlift grip strength.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hook grip

broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Along with support, pinch, and crush movements for the grip, be sure to train your extensors so the muscles that close the hand aren't limited by a weakness in the opposing muscle group.

My grip really began to improve when I worked extensions with bands and sand into my grip training.
    Hums the theme to Superman during planks and LYTPs. Now that you've read this, you will too.

All right boys, now watch how this is done. The key is to put it all in your groin and your back.
    Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.
    -- Peter Griffin

Go down the line:
    http://www.greatergood.com

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    ^^^^ Yep.

I see a lot of recommendations to use grippers (like COC, etc.), or to do Plate Pinches, and no doubt, they will both help build grip 'strength,' but IMO, the best way to do it to increase the ability to pull a heavy bar off the floor is to train your grip with a heavy bar. I'm a firm believer in the S.A.I.D. principle.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I see a lot of recommendations to use grippers (like COC, etc.), or to do Plate Pinches, and no doubt, they will both help build grip 'strength,' but IMO, the best way to do it to increase the ability to pull a heavy bar off the floor is to train your grip with a heavy bar.
    Yup, it's good to train grippers too, but that's a different type of grip strength, it really doesn't carry over to deadlifting, IMHO.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I agree, do some static holds. I was just deadlifting the hex bar last night, watch this set with 515, I do a few reps and I hold it.

Thanks guys! I will start doing static holds a couple of days a week. I probably should have thought to try this, but I'm brain dead with all of the holiday planning crap right now. LOL

For those who suggested Versa Gripps, please re-read the OP.

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great suggestions for working on the grip! I also have trouble with my grip on deads, rows, and pulldowns - my hands give out before my lats. I use straps on heavy deads and rows - works well for me. But they don't seem to help with pulldowns. I really should do more wide-grip pull-ups - there my back and arms give out before my grip.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine