Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrMcgaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    ^^^ You asked for a reference.

Anyway, the point is that "fat" is most certainly burned for energy, in contradiction to your prior post, and that effect is most pronounced in nutritional ketosis as even the brain starts preferring ketones over glucose for the majority of its metabolic energy.
    Oh I know I asked for it. Just thought it would be a little less biochem401 tis all. Read 2ce.
    I stick by the knowledge I know until there is other knowledge to replace it. After all its only 2nd time ever being wrong

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Severe calorie restriction and prolonged severe dieting decreases/slows metabolism. OP has been eating unhealthy amounts of calories (less than a 10 year old needs) and needs to increase his calories to bring his health/metabolism back to normal so he can restart weight loss again - lamen terms
    Ok, so very low calorie diets decrease the metabolic rate over a period of time. I agree. I thdink I've seen some studies on that too. But from what I recall, it's nothing that can't be overcome and it's not a huge issue, and weight loss can still continue.

Are you saying that he can no longer create a deficit and lose weight, and that he needs to increase caloric intake in order to lose weight? I believe less calories would be the way to go if OP desires further weight loss.

Also, I would consider that 1200 calories, as reported by OP, may not be 1200 calories. Self-reported dietary records and calorie counts have a large degree of variance.

Also, OP said he was looking at the scale everyday. He is probably worried over day to day fluctuations and may not be gaining weight at all.

OP, can you give us some more details?

1. How long have you been gaining weight for and how many pounds have you put on?
    2. Do are you experiencing any swelling in your extremities or face? Does your skin feel puffy?
    3. What methods are you using to count calories.
    4. Do you weigh and measure your foods?
    5. How many pounds you normally fluctuate day to day? What's the most you've ever fluctuated?

rdelgallo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very interesting discussions here. Im not really worried about anything, i feel comfortable at what I am doing and am filled with energy to complete my workouts. All I asked in the begining was if I was under my maintance/in a defecit and didnt see a loss, could those numbers be from water lol

but I appreciate all of the input, even from those who think they are doctors. I weighed in this morning and lost what I think was that water weight from my cheat on Sunday night.
    6 months ago: 305 pounds, 45% BMI
    Today: 183 pounds, 17% BMI

skselan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rdelgallo View Post
    Very interesting discussions here. Im not really worried about anything, i feel comfortable at what I am doing and am filled with energy to complete my workouts. All I asked in the begining was if I was under my maintance/in a defecit and didnt see a loss, could those numbers be from water lol

but I appreciate all of the input, even from those who think they are doctors. I weighed in this morning and lost what I think was that water weight from my cheat on Sunday night.
    I would have to go with the post saying "self reporting calories often fluxuate". Sorry, but i just can't believe you feel "full of energy" on only 1200 calories. Before being well informed on nutrition, i dropped from 161 to 136 in 2 months by only eating 1200 calories/day. With 1200 being closer..still far..but closer to my maintenance than 1200 is to yours, i felt like absolute s*** all the time, no energy and constantly hungry. Either you are actually taking in more than 1200 calories, or u are taking in tons of stims, i cant imagine feeling "full of energy" on 1200 calories. Also agree with the slowing metabolism changing your maitenance. If your maitenance is 2000 cals and ur metabolism is normal..say a "5", u wont gain or lose weight. You drop down to 1200 cals for a long period of time, your metabolism say drops to a "2", you wont be losing/gaining weight. Eat at your true maitenance, get your metabolism back to its normal level, and you will see the same results as a massive cal deficite. I feel like i had this exact same convo with my girlfriend...

Originally Posted by foodandfitness View Post
    Ok, so very low calorie diets decrease the metabolic rate over a period of time. I agree. I thdink I've seen some studies on that too. But from what I recall, it's nothing that can't be overcome and it's not a huge issue, and weight loss can still continue.

Are you saying that he can no longer create a deficit and lose weight, and that he needs to increase caloric intake in order to lose weight? I believe less calories would be the way to go if OP desires further weight loss.

Also, I would consider that 1200 calories, as reported by OP, may not be 1200 calories. Self-reported dietary records and calorie counts have a large degree of variance.

Also, OP said he was looking at the scale everyday. He is probably worried over day to day fluctuations and may not be gaining weight at all.

OP, can you give us some more details?

1. How long have you been gaining weight for and how many pounds have you put on?
    2. Do are you experiencing any swelling in your extremities or face? Does your skin feel puffy?
    3. What methods are you using to count calories.
    4. Do you weigh and measure your foods?
    5. How many pounds you normally fluctuate day to day? What's the most you've ever fluctuated?
    No swelling or anything, I weigh my foods. I allowed myself to go back up to 220. I ate w.e I wanted, drank I wanted for about three months. Now im back on my diet. It was only a 2 pound gain that one day which i beleive was water retention.

Originally Posted by skselan View Post
    I would have to go with the post saying "self reporting calories often fluxuate". Sorry, but i just can't believe you feel "full of energy" on only 1200 calories. Before being well informed on nutrition, i dropped from 161 to 136 in 2 months by only eating 1200 calories/day. With 1200 being closer..still far..but closer to my maintenance than 1200 is to yours, i felt like absolute s*** all the time, no energy and constantly hungry. Either you are actually taking in more than 1200 calories, or u are taking in tons of stims, i cant imagine feeling "full of energy" on 1200 calories. Also agree with the slowing metabolism changing your maitenance. If your maitenance is 2000 cals and ur metabolism is normal..say a "5", u wont gain or lose weight. You drop down to 1200 cals for a long period of time, your metabolism say drops to a "2", you wont be losing/gaining weight. Eat at your true maitenance, get your metabolism back to its normal level, and you will see the same results as a massive cal deficite. I feel like i had this exact same convo with my girlfriend...
    You have your right to your opinion, and each different person varies on things may effect them. I have never felt better in my life. Doing 5-8 miles a day and always ready to do more. My main goal for this weight loss journey was to make it into the Navy.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by foodandfitness View Post
    Are you saying that he can no longer create a deficit and lose weight, and that he needs to increase caloric intake in order to lose weight? I believe less calories would be the way to go if OP desires further weight
    I'm saying he needs to increase calories to fix damage he has done and take a break, this will result in him being able to cut at higher calories

Reducing cals further below 1200 etc is stupidity and any PT suggesting that should be shot as they are ruining their health

You have your right to your opinion, and each different person varies on things may effect them. I have never felt better in my life. Doing 5-8 miles a day and always ready to do more. My main goal for this weight loss journey was to make it into the Navy.
    well thats an awesome goal to have, and thanks for your future service...i am currently in the Army. However, keep in mind, that if you are joining the military, this will have to be a lifestyle change, not just a one time thing to get through MEPPS. If you have in fact hurt your metabolism..once you start eating more again, and you will..eventually, you cant sustain a life on 1200 cals, you will gain weight/fat faster. In basic training they will force you to eat, and eat ALOT, and throw counting calories out the window at any military school...you just eat what you can get your hands on (unless its some gentlemans course, then of course you can). Just keep in mind, once in the Navy, you still have to meet height/weight standards.

Large Mammary Aficionado IronAlex's Avatar
    IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP I usually don't come this way for my own reasons, I read but never really post in this section. I'm a Marine, I respect you want to make it into the navy. You are correct this is a journey you should listen to the guys who say up your calories a few hundred a week until you hit 2000-2500. Stay like that for a few weeks and then get back at it again but avoid dropping your calories so low. Look up Layne Norton metabolic damage, he explains everything a lot better than I will be able to, obviously there are several schools of thought on the matter but if you are telling the truth and you are eating only 1200 calories a day you're eating way too little.

If you want to see exactly what happens when you eat like that look at some of my photos when I first came here after I got out of the service and ate about 1000 calories a day because I was extremely depressed. Just skip what I did and go straight to making the progress you really want to see, lose the fat, keep the muscle it is a much better and faster route than the round about one I took to get where I am today. But no matter what good luck on your goal to get into the Navy, you have some serious dedication and I commend that.
    USMC
    ★cVc★
    Semper Fit
    www.thedisposableheroesproject.com
    http://thetellingproject.org/

somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) somedude999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My suggestion is to throw away the scale.

I usually drop a pound or two after I take a dump. Daily fluctuations don't mean anything. Pay attention to where your belt buckles up... that'll actually tell you something.

Originally Posted by somedude999 View Post
    My suggestion is to throw away the scale.

I usually drop a pound or two after I take a dump. Daily fluctuations don't mean anything. Pay attention to where your belt buckles up... that'll actually tell you something.
    fine suggestion for someone just trying to get fit..but if he actually has a weigh in, a weight he has to be at or below, unfortunately the military doesnt base height/weight standards on how many notches u move up on your belt.

For my height I had to be at 186. Which I made it too, then I went off my diet and I did gain weight back pretty fast. College was taking a toll on me and started working, I know, excuses. That was a lot of soda, cookies, pizzas, everything late, my old diet when I was over 300 pounds. Everyone tells me that I am looking healthy and great now. I am just nervous adding a lot more calories into my diet again since I am back on the journey to lose weight again (got a gf now, a little motivation haha). Once I hit my goal again, losing 30 pounds, would that be ok to start adding the more calories in slowly? Or should I start right away?

Large Mammary Aficionado IronAlex's Avatar
    IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For my height I had to be at 186. Which I made it too, then I went off my diet and I did gain weight back pretty fast. College was taking a toll on me and started working, I know, excuses. That was a lot of soda, cookies, pizzas, everything late, my old diet when I was over 300 pounds. Everyone tells me that I am looking healthy and great now. I am just nervous adding a lot more calories into my diet again since I am back on the journey to lose weight again (got a gf now, a little motivation haha). Once I hit my goal again, losing 30 pounds, would that be ok to start adding the more calories in slowly? Or should I start right away?
    I hate to be the one to say this but learn to properly diet, you are doing what we call binging and purging dieting, you stick to a super strict diet (in your case ~1200 kcal which is starving yourself, literally) then you put all the weight back on (or in this case a portion of it) and start the process all over again. Think long term, life style changes, things that are sustainable. Make small changes now to have big impacts in the long run. Don't throw out all your food and live off chicken and fish then swap back to the big mac and large fries after you reach your goal, moderation will be your best friend.

Start adding more calories now, work your way up to a decent amount of calories for your size (around 2500 kcal or so) then just hang out at that for a few months, take that time to read up on dieting advice, ask questions, learn, cook food, heck prepare a weeks worth of meals over the weekends. Have that slice of cake every now and then but don't grab the whole thing just because you starved yourself long enough. Everyone is here to help, you will get a LOT of conflicting information and a TON of different ways to do things, right now just focus on your calories and learn what your macros are at now and where they should be (everyone has different goals but you will find something that works for you).

You want this obviously but right now you are only fighting yourself and you WILL lose unless you learn how to eat, it's the one thing no body ever bothers to teach you at school but here you will find all the answers, that is if you put the work in. If you want it bad enough you will get it but you need to read and ask questions when you don't understand what the next step is. So good luck to you and your goal, just take your time and do it right, trust me there is no point in spinning your wheels just to go in circles.
    USMC
    ★cVc★
    Semper Fit
    www.thedisposableheroesproject.com
    http://thetellingproject.org/