Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    MRobbyM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stretching-what to eat/drink during workout

Is it negative or usueless to stretch the muscle you're working between sets?
    What food or drink is best to eat/drink during your workout and when (after how much time) ?
    Thank u brahs

I forgot: any excercise to strenghten and a good warmup for the knees? I think I've got an inflamed tendon.
    Stay strong
    Last edited by MRobbyM; 12-18-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    -Meta-

bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500)
    Front squats are good for kneehealth because they strengthen your VMOS, and you can do them deeper than back squats.

Drink branched chain amino acids and glutamine during your workout, to replenish muscle glycogen, and increase insulin sensitivity before you ingest a carb/protein mixture post workout.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only thing I consume during my workout is water.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

MRobbyM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bevans100fitnes View Post
    Front squats are good for kneehealth because they strengthen your VMOS, and you can do them deeper than back squats.

Drink branched chain amino acids and glutamine during your workout, to replenish muscle glycogen, and increase insulin sensitivity before you ingest a carb/protein mixture post workout.
    can i get that from natural sources? not supplements? A source which is easily used? I don't want to eat tuna, cheese and other during wo lol
    -Meta-

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ^^^^ Useless broscience.

Go away.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MRobbyM View Post
    can i get that from natural sources? not supplements? A source which is easily used? I don't want to eat tuna, cheese and other during wo lol
    Just eat a regular meal at some point after your training. There's no need to consume anything during or immediately after a workout.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamesMontana will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To warm up my knees, I like to do extremely low weight, high rep (20+) leg extensions and body weight squats.

As far as eating during a workout, I normally don't. Occasionally when I do a mock powerlifting competition or extremely lonng workout lasting 3+ hours, I'll drink a whey/carb shake. But only water for training, no matter how long (just trained for 2 hours and was fine).

Yeah, working out over an hour lowers test, etc blah blah. I do it because I enjoy it. If you enjoy eating during your workout, do it.

bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ^^^^ Useless broscience.

Go away.
    Perhaps you should read some studies, and not read so many forums. The studys are.... NOT written by "bros".

You can replenish glycogen using bcaas and glutamine, yet without ingesting carbs you can STILL be actively burning fat. So the muscles get the effect they get from gatorade, but the aminos are less likely to halt fat burning, that the insulin spike from gatorade deffinitely would.

If you really keep calling my statements broscience it is going to be a huge pain in the ass, and I am going to reference and cite studies, for every single post (vastly reducing the number of posts I can respond to)... In the end, you, despite being 64, may end up looking like a "bro".

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MRobbyM View Post
    Is it negative or usueless to stretch the muscle you're working between sets?
    What food or drink is best to eat/drink during your workout and when (after how much time) ?
    Thank u brahs

I forgot: any excercise to strenghten and a good warmup for the knees? I think I've got an inflamed tendon.
    Stay strong
    You are overthinking this food/drink thing. You make it sound like someone is carrying a stromboli into the gym to munch on between squats. Not necessary. You want to stay hydrated if you are sweating a lot. Best answer for that is water. After you train, eat a reasonable meal. No reason to do anything crazy. If you need enough calories to grow, worry about that during the other 23 hours that you aren't in the gym.

As for your knee question, I would say to rest it. If you have inflamation from overuse, using it more just isn't going to help matters. Let it heal up, and THEN worry about how to prevent it from coming back. If you can correlate a new exercise to the time frame when it started hurting (I've been doing reverse plie lunge kick outs for two weeks... my knee has hurt for the past week... I should probably stop doing those) then you may be able to come up with a game plan to fix the issue.

If you are just too stubborn to lay off (I get it, I'm like that) then I might suggest trying knee sleeves (not knee wraps, just neoprene sleeves... google Tommy Kono sleeves to get an idea) and then be diligent about your RICE (Rest/ice/compression/elevation) treatments post workout.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Then again I am giving high level advice intended to acheive high level results...

Not the "eat after you lift" and "make sure you squat"...

^^these are basic concepts and common sense. I assume the person posting has enough background knwledge to know to eat a large meal after lifting. An athlete will never aheive an eexceptional appearance or exceptional performance if the athlete cuts their knowledge off at the basics, and does everything that everyone else does. (That would OBVIOUSLY acheive the same results as everyone else... + or - based on genetics)

You need to learn as much as possible.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    (vastly reducing the number of posts I can respond to)...
    Oh no.... anything but that...

GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Perhaps you should read some studies, and not read so many forums. The studys are.... NOT written by "bros".

You can replenish glycogen using bcaas and glutamine, yet without ingesting carbs you can STILL be actively burning fat. So the muscles get the effect they get from gatorade, but the aminos are less likely to halt fat burning, that the insulin spike from gatorade deffinitely would.

If you really keep calling my statements broscience it is going to be a huge pain in the ass, and I am going to reference and cite studies, for every single post (vastly reducing the number of posts I can respond to)... In the end, you, despite being 64, may end up looking like a "bro".
    Lulz. How much glycogen needs to be "replenished?" He didn't run a 26 mile marathon; he only performed a weight training session.

LOL @ "insulin spike."

You should quit hugging that pill-pusher Poliquin's nuts, and start reading Alan Aragon's and Lyle Mcdonald's stuff.

And yes, every time I see where you post bull****, I'm going to call you on it.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Lulz. How much glycogen needs to be "replenished?" He didn't run a 26 mile marathon; he only performed a weight training session.

LOL @ "insulin spike."

You should quit hugging that pill-pusher Poliquin's nuts, and start reading Alan Aragon's and Lyle Mcdonald's stuff.

And yes, every time I see where you post bull****, I'm going to call you on it.
    Yes.. Lyle Mcdonald and his ckd... He was a more a "classroom" person than a gym person correct? How many world class athletes has he created?

Anything scientific i post is "over complicated" or maybe you should just say "over your head".

If i explain in terms the majority of readers will understand, its "broscience".. despite being backed by studies.

I was just trying to answer the question, in a way that will boost performance and more importantly, recovery.

But everyone can choose, whether they want to base their routine on professional scientific study.... or the "basics" being repeated, by some guy, on an internet forum.

It's more complicated than milk and squats, if you really want to stand out.

I read Lyle for years, until i saw the flaws in his dieting methodologies, and moved on to more effective things.

How many pro fitness models and athletes do ckd? I can answer that...0

It's decent for fat, out of shape people trying to acheive an average to above average fitness level.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you feel like eating or stretching during a workout, then give it a go. If you don't feel like doing it, then don't do it because you read that it's good. A lot of single solution answers you'll hear will stem from someone preferring one, and relegating against the other.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Anything scientific i post is "over complicated" or maybe you should just say "over your head".

If i explain in terms the majority of readers will understand, its "broscience".. despite being backed by studies.

I was just trying to answer the question, in a way that will boost performance and more importantly, recovery.

But everyone can choose, whether they want to base their routine on professional scientific study.... or the "basics" being repeated, by some guy, on an internet forum.

It's more complicated than milk and squats, if you really want to stand out.

I read Lyle for years, until i saw the flaws in his dieting methodologies, and moved on to more effective things.

How many pro fitness models and athletes do ckd? I can answer that...0

It's decent for fat, out of shape people trying to acheive an average to above average fitness level.
    dyel phgt?

I respond to ironwill putting me down, because he does it in a mature and relevant way (however I feel his positions are "uninformed" and "unintelligent"....)

But I am too mature to be stupid enough to engage in a pissing contest with "bros" on here. Any such posts will be ignored: now, previously, and in the future...

You might as well save your time, because this is a one time statement.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Lol, this guy is a good troll.

KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP, regarding the glutamine advices...
    Glutamine "study" nonsense
    Quite a few more studies have debunked glutamine, than support it. Here's a couple:

Addition of glutamine to essential amino acids and carbohydrate does not enhance anabolism in young human males following exercise:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=1 7111006&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

" ... the addition of glutamine did not affect whole-body protein synthesis post-exercise. The rate of MPS was not different between trials. The addition of glutamine to a CHO + EAA beverage had no effect on post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis or muscle protein synthesis, but may suppress a rise in whole-body proteolysis during the later stages of recovery."

Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11822473

"We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults."

(however I feel his positions are "uninformed" and "unintelligent"....)

The "irony......"
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bcaa's to replenish muscle glycogen? LOL what, fraud alert

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dude may be best troll ever. I hope.
    Stern Crew

Vernard, R., Liao, Y., et al. An Amino Acid Mixture Improves Glucose Tolerance and Insulin Signaling in Sprague-Dawley Rats. American Journal of Physiology. 2011. 300, 752-760.

let me know how many studies you need.

The opinion of glutamine in the sports science community is less black and white than bcaas...
    BCAAS are an easy argument to win.

BTW, "bros" glucose tolerance=insulin sensitivity (I don't want y'all to think too hard and get a headache)

Shah, S., Crosslin, D., et al. BCAA Levels are Associated with Improvement in Insulin Resistance with Weight Loss. Diabetologia. February 2012. 55(2), 321-330.

Gualano, A., Bozza, T., et al. Branched-Chain Amino Acids Supplementation Enhances Exercise Capacity and Lipid Oxidation During Endurance Exercise After Muscle Glycogen Depletion. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. 2011.51(5), 82-88.

Originally Posted by KarlynSkuatrach View Post
    OP, regarding the glutamine advices...

Quite a few more studies have debunked glutamine, than support it. Here's a couple:

Addition of glutamine to essential amino acids and carbohydrate does not enhance anabolism in young human males following exercise:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=1 7111006&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

" ... the addition of glutamine did not affect whole-body protein synthesis post-exercise. The rate of MPS was not different between trials. The addition of glutamine to a CHO + EAA beverage had no effect on post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis or muscle protein synthesis, but may suppress a rise in whole-body proteolysis during the later stages of recovery."

Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11822473

"We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults."
    Your study has its subjects drinking glutamine WITH EAAs and CHO, which would already resynthesize glycogen on their own. I'm not sure if the way it was conducted could draw conclusions because one of the CONSTANTS has to be absence of carbs, for what I was speaking about.

KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KarlynSkuatrach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Your study has its subjects drinking glutamine WITH EAAs and CHO, which would already resynthesize glycogen on their own. I'm not sure if the way it was conducted could draw conclusions because one of the CONSTANTS has to be absence of carbs, for what I was speaking about.
    The study you cite doesn't have an absence of CHO either. It does, however, have an absence of Glutamine -- so how you figure they were testing Glutamine by -- not testing it -- is brilliant. Can certainly conclude Glutamine would never provide a null response that way. The study you cite also has an absence of humans -- a model far superior to rats for studying CHO and protein metabolism in -- humans.

Jkoee428 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have heard it is not too good to stretch between sets.
    I like to have amino acids in me before during and after the workout. During I take it in a drink form. I like to eat a nice size bowl of granola in the morning and lift about an hour and a half after to two hours after eating.

My response was regarding bcaas. I may have jumped the gun saying glutamine can replenish glycogen, because I have heard it said by experts but not looked at any studies.

It does seem to decrease DOMS and increase recovery, in my PERSONAL experience.

Originally Posted by KarlynSkuatrach View Post
    The study you cite doesn't have an absence of CHO either. It does, however, have an absence of Glutamine -- so how you figure they were testing Glutamine by -- not testing it -- is brilliant. Can certainly conclude Glutamine would never provide a null response that way. The study you cite also has an absence of humans -- a model far superior to rats for studying CHO and protein metabolism in -- humans.
    This is like one of those western movies where the "Black Bart" character has been terrorizing a town with his shennanigans, and suddenly he comes around a corner to find a lone stranger leaning up against the wall. Only Black Bart doesn't realize the stranger is one of those "Fastest guns in the west, about to knock you off your high horse and ruin your day" types.

... Like that, but on BB.com discussing minutia from studies with poor controls and samples sizes without any statistical significance.

... Involving two trolls. "Curl in Squat rack" That's actually borderline clever.
    Last edited by CookAndrewB; 12-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.