BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100) BioZeke is not very well liked. (-100)

The first week DOMS slump!

Hello everyone! I've tried a few times over the last year and a half or so to get back in the gym again and knock some weight off and become that raving testosterone man-beast that every woman (but primarily mine!) wants a guy to be but I can't seem to get over one particular thing and I need either a little motivation or just some insight on what you guys do to get past it - DOMS!

I'm not really speaking on DOMS in general, but really just the first week or so; you know, the first or second workout that just kicks your tail and hurts you for 4 days. When I do my routine, I get done and am feeling great - even feel great the next day! But that third day, I feel like death came in, -tried- to kill me, gave up and got back on the couch. It hurts so much, and almost to the point where I cant do even a few pushups.

What do you guys think? Do I just need to get back in after my split and work it again through the pain? Will lifting on sore muscles 4 days out actually help the DOMS situation? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

B

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how about try a less aggresive routine and ease into things more gradually. you might find the supplement HMB helps - about 3 g pre workout. myofascial release with a foam roller and some stretching after also helps imo although i'm not aware any research has been done to show this.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BFJ View Post
    how about try a less aggresive routine and ease into things more gradually. you might find the supplement HMB helps - about 3 g pre workout. myofascial release with a foam roller and some stretching after also helps imo although i'm not aware any research has been done to show this.
    I agree with taking a less aggressive approach. Don't go all out in the first couple weeks. Lift lower weights to let your body get used to it and slowly increase each week. The more lifting you do, the more your body will get used to it and you shouldn't have to worry about DOMS.

Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Livestock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I disagree with all answers. DOMs is a normal step for beginners. Don't try to deviate from it and sugar coat it. If anything it will make you more aware of your body and it's processes. Make sure you have the necessary intake of macros to support recovery. Foam rolling + drinking loads of water can and does help. What ever you do, do not treat these DOMs like some kind of hurdle, they are a natural part of your workouts. Never workout through pain.

You are a bulldozer. You move forward with or without DOMs.

Also, it's just a week or two.
    "I'll have a double big mac combo...with a DIET SODA!"
    I'm on a diet.

SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquattsAndOats is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Misctake7 View Post
    I agree with taking a less aggressive approach. Don't go all out in the first couple weeks. Lift lower weights to let your body get used to it and slowly increase each week. The more lifting you do, the more your body will get used to it and you shouldn't have to worry about DOMS.
    I third this. You definitely need to power on and battle through it. The more you exercise the more your body will adapt - for the better. Try not to lessen the workload too much because that might be ineffective. Instead, look at prevention rather than cure.

Try these that I normally do to reduce DOMS:

Diet - Make sure you're getting the right macros and micros to help your insides deal with the stress and removal of crap after your workout.

Equipment - Theory has it wearing Lycra helps with doms. Look it up and do some research on wearing tight clothing after workout (no lie).

Physical - Get physical. Try using heat and cold to your advantage. In the shower turn the water down to cold, then hot, then cold then hot. About 30-40 seconds on each. This will help your blood collect and
    dispose of all the muscle debris and rubbish from your system from the inside to the outside (again research this).
    - Stretching. Dynamic stretches before working out (lunges, knee-ups, star jumps etc). Static stretches for after
    - My favorite... SAUNA AND STEAM ROOM THEN A DIP IN THE COLD POOL. I understand most people don't have this luxury at their gym. But it's well worth it. Always helps me recover.

Other people, feel free to tell me i'm wrong, I thought these are pretty good ideas? (You don't have to listen to me Bio.)

Hope this helps.