itsthemusic7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am i just getting old

I got back into lifting about a year ago. I recently decided to start doing power movements like I did when I was younger. However my bench is stalled. My dead lift was too. However i skipped a couple of weeks on my deadlift and shot up 95 lbs when i went back to it. Is this normal at my age? I was use to working a power movement every 5th day when i was younger to make gains.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by itsthemusic7 View Post
    I got back into lifting about a year ago. I recently decided to start doing power movements like I did when I was younger. However my bench is stalled. My dead lift was too. However i skipped a couple of weeks on my deadlift and shot up 95 lbs when i went back to it. Is this normal at my age? I was use to working a power movement every 5th day when i was younger to make gains.
    The things I feel are different training now at 42 compared to 10 years ago is:

1) It takes me a little longer to recover.
    2) I need to have my nutrition spot on.
    3) I need to spend more time stretching and warming up.
    4) Gains are slightly slower with same level of effort.

That being said. I am much stronger now than I was 10 years ago, and I think it's fair to say that within 6 months, I may be in the best shape of my life.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's common to have to reset lifts at any age. Eat more, reset lifts, go until next stall point, then contemplate a new type of program / progression scheme.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As we get older proper recovery is important we don't recover as fast. That's why athletes retire. Best of luck.

Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    The things I feel are different training now at 42 compared to 10 years ago is:

1) It takes me a little longer to recover.
    2) I need to have my nutrition spot on.
    3) I need to spend more time stretching and warming up.
    4) Gains are slightly slower with same level of effort.

That being said. I am much stronger now than I was 10 years ago, and I think it's fair to say that within 6 months, I may be in the best shape of my life.
    Alright guys ty. My nutrition could use some t.l.c.

sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I work out with my 20 year old son. We're the same strength (Well, for now) and I can tell you. We do the same exact sets and I am always sore for about 3 days longer then he is. Not to mention, he blows up like crazy and I do not. Got to love the test levels in a 20 year old, compared to 42.

Welcome the age and understand, its simply life bro.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP is 35 years old.

Gimme a break guys.

For one thing this "I am 42 and I hurt because I am old" crap is lame.

And for the other OP isn't in his 40's anyway; so even if you were correct (which you're not) it wouldn't apply to him.

The simple fact is that progress is not linear. As you get stronger it takes more hard work and dedication to keep improving.

First time I ever did a deadlift I pulled 315 lbs. Four weeks later I pulled 405 lbs. Six months later I pulled 500Lbs. Now three years later the best I have done is 575 lbs. It's got nothing to do with age. That's how his game plays out.

Otherwise we'd all be deadlifting 1,000lbs plus.

Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    OP is 35 years old.

Gimme a break guys.

Totally agree. OP, your successes and failures in the gym are consistent with any age. Your question about age is naive, because the challenges you are facing can and do occur with people in their 20s. I have 15 years on you and I can out-lift many (not all) my age and younger at weight. It is a result of dedication, , nutrition, education and commitment. Once you get those factors down, your successes will outweigh any failures. However, you will always have setbacks, which is very normal. You just have to have the backbone to keep trying and never quit.

jram1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Phattso View Post
    Totally agree. OP, your successes and failures in the gym are consistent with any age. Your question about age is naive, because the challenges you are facing can and do occur with people in their 20s. I have 15 years on you and I can out-lift many (not all) my age and younger at weight. It is a result of dedication, , nutrition, education and commitment. Once you get those factors down, your successes will outweigh any failures. However, you will always have setbacks, which is very normal. You just have to have the backbone to keep trying and never quit.
    Amen to that. I'm 75 and still do my workouts 3 times per week. Of course my week consists of 9-10 days because of recovery. LOL. I try to maintain proper food intake, vitamins and my protein shakes. I have a physical, blood work twice a year and my "Doc" gives me a thumbs up every time so far. I'm not a "bodybuilder" like some of you guys but, I do maintain my wellness, feel great and I'm happy.

Like you say, one has to keep motivated, keep going and enjoy life.

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First time I ever did a deadlift I pulled 315 lbs. Four weeks later I pulled 405 lbs. Six months later I pulled 500Lbs. Now three years later the best I have done is 575 lbs.
    Got genes? I had no idea you started out so strong.

My first DL was something like 100 lbs. It took me 9 months to get up to 315, and I never quite made it to 400, though I still have hopes.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jram1 View Post
    Amen to that. I'm 75 and still do my workouts 3 times per week. Of course my week consists of 9-10 days because of recovery. LOL. I try to maintain proper food intake, vitamins and my protein shakes. I have a physical, blood work twice a year and my "Doc" gives me a thumbs up every time so far. I'm not a "bodybuilder" like some of you guys but, I do maintain my wellness, feel great and I'm happy.

Like you say, one has to keep motivated, keep going and enjoy life.
    That's awesome - kudos!

If I even live to 75, I'll credit much of it to lifting.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Am i just getting old
    If you think you are, you are.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Age is not your problem OP. Consistency is. Get busy.

DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DasPhilosopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you can still make it... all it takes is motivation, persistance, and pride.
    Retired From The Misc
    *07-22-2014 08:17 AM*
    "I have a dream that posters will one day post on a misc where they will not be judged by the color of their bars but by the content of their posts."
    - Martin Luther King

SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd disagree with the rates of gain being slower if one is starting from scratch, although Flex is spot on about progression.

I agree about recovery though. It does take longer to recover at 44 than at 30. That said, we're talking maybe an extra day rather than a week or something.
    Squat (noun) A means of helping men understand what it feels like to give birth.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP is 35 years old.

Gimme a break guys.

And for the other OP isn't in his 40's anyway; so even if you were correct (which you're not) it wouldn't apply to him.

The simple fact is that progress is not linear. As you get stronger it takes more hard work and dedication to keep improving.

First time I ever did a deadlift I pulled 315 lbs. Four weeks later I pulled 405 lbs. Six months later I pulled 500Lbs. Now three years later the best I have done is 575 lbs. It's got nothing to do with age. That's how his game plays out.

Otherwise we'd all be deadlifting 1,000lbs plus.

Too many f'cking excuses FLEX, I am 49, there is no slowing me down just yet. F'cking people think they are old therefore they ARE old.
    On the list for Bannukah

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Too many f'cking excuses FLEX, I am 49, there is no slowing me down just yet. F'cking people think they are old therefore they ARE old.
    Ill admit had I not come here and seen all of you old geezers killing it I would probably feel the same about getting older. It's easy to chalk up no progress or gaining weight to Father Time. Much easier than doing something about it However seeing some of the great work many many of the regulars here have done and continue to do proves what you said above "people think they are old therefore they are old".

OP you are 35. You are not old.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ITT OP thinks he's old but gets ass beat by older guys.

But realistically, you just need to train smarter and progress can continue. There's older guys on here that are in better shape than 1/2 of the 20 somethings running around.
    You rock a piss, I'm gonna rock some Mitchell

Originally Posted by scullin View Post
    ITT OP thinks he's old but gets ass beat by older guys.

But realistically, you just need to train smarter and progress can continue. There's older guys on here that are in better shape than 1/2 of the 20 somethings running around.
    The whole taking 2 weeks off from deadlifts then coming back 95 lbs stronger had me curious. I do train very high intensity. I probably just needed that layoff. Next time I will just deload a week. Ty for info guys

tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The whole taking 2 weeks off from deadlifts then coming back 95 lbs stronger had me curious. I do train very high intensity. I probably just needed that layoff. Next time I will just deload a week. Ty for info guys
    my deload week is becoming a two week off process. I did light lifting this week and am taking next week off. Half of it anyway. I'll resume next Wednesday.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My weightlifting belt is 30 years old. I don't even need it anymore, but it was cool as hell when I was 17. It says 3AT3M on the back.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.