Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Kwazer View Post
    I've had my Dark Horse for about a month now, and I am really liking it. The only two cons that I have are the awkward safeties and the lack for band pegs.

The safeties are big, heavy, and difficult to get in the hole. They screech and scrape along the holes until they actually fit in. I was adjusting my safeties today, and afterwards noticed a tiny pile of dust on the ground. It was actually the powdercoat that had scraped off, from me trying to get the damn thing in the proper hole. Would any other type of coating make them a bit smoother (chrome?)?

And is there any feasible way to install band pegs in the bottom and upper sides? There are not holes, so I guess I would need to drill some. Not sure I want to do that...any other solutions?
    look at this pic and there is a video that might help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbdt7ohPSLY

here is a 20min video on how to make band pegs for your rack (i havent watched it so im not sure how helpful it is)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfkG-YdBi6c
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've had my Dark Horse for about a month now, and I am really liking it. The only two cons that I have are the awkward safeties and the lack for band pegs.

The safeties are big, heavy, and difficult to get in the hole. They screech and scrape along the holes until they actually fit in. I was adjusting my safeties today, and afterwards noticed a tiny pile of dust on the ground. It was actually the powdercoat that had scraped off, from me trying to get the damn thing in the proper hole. Would any other type of coating make them a bit smoother (chrome?)?

And is there any feasible way to install band pegs in the bottom and upper sides? There are not holes, so I guess I would need to drill some. Not sure I want to do that...any other solutions?
    I've had my Dark Horse for 2 months now. Love the rack but feel your pain when it comes to moving the safety pin's. A quick adjust spotter upgrade would be a nice option. Sorinex just released their safety strap spotting system for the Dark Horse. The Dark Horse version is not on the website yet. I purchased the safety straps and should have them along with the landmine in a couple of days. The safety strap system is a bit expensive but I'm sure will be worth it. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

Like this except for the DarkHorse: http://store.sorinex.com/Sorinex-Saf...strap-safe.htm
    Last edited by StephanBB; 03-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #35 ▪██─────██▪

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by StephanBB View Post
    I've had my Dark Horse for 2 months now. Love the rack but feel your pain when it comes to moving the safety pin's. A quick adjust spotter upgrade would be a nice option. Sorinex just released their safety strap spotting system for the Dark Horse. The Dark Horse version is not on the website yet. I purchased the safety straps and should have them along with the landmine in a couple of days. The safety strap system is a bit expensive but for me I'm sure is going to be worth it. Will post some pics when they arrive.

Like this except for the DarkHorse: http://store.sorinex.com/Sorinex-Saf...strap-safe.htm
    is the darkhorse version the same price as the one linked?
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 817boy View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbdt7ohPSLY

here is a 20min video on how to make band pegs for your rack (i havent watched it so im not sure how helpful it is)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfkG-YdBi6c
    Thanks 817boy, can't rep again, doh! Yep! with the sumo design on the Dark Horse that's what I do! The dark horse is 7'6" tall, at my height 6'2" I can still do over head work in the rack, band pegs would very likely interfere. Perhaps if there was an option to quickly install/remove band pegs I'd consider it. Due to the simplicity of the method recommended by 817boy I don't think I'd buy anything. Definitely wouldn't drill holes for something permanent!

Originally Posted by xephonics View Post
    is the darkhorse version the same price as the one linked?
    YES. $ame price! $275 is definitely on the high end. But hey, I've spent $275 and woke up in a pile of puke with no recollection of what happened!

Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 817boy View Post
    Thanks, repped, I'll take a peek through that!

Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kwazer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've had my Dark Horse for 2 months now. Love the rack but feel your pain when it comes to moving the safety pin's. A quick adjust spotter upgrade would be a nice option. Sorinex just released their safety strap spotting system for the Dark Horse. The Dark Horse version is not on the website yet. I purchased the safety straps and should have them along with the landmine in a couple of days. The safety strap system is a bit expensive but I'm sure will be worth it. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

Like this except for the DarkHorse:
    Thanks. What do you think is a better option, the quick adjuster spotter or the safety strap spotting system?

Thanks. What do you think is a better option, the quick adjuster spotter or the safety strap spotting system?
    My personal choice is the safety strap spotting system. I intended to purchase them right from from the beginning. I was bummed when Sorinex told me they hadn't qualified the straps for proper length on the Dark Horse. Emailed them last week and was told they were done! Placed order on the spot. If quick adjust was $150 and strap system was $275 I'd still go with the strap system.

The solid piece will always feel more awkward and harder to adjust (granted much easier than the pin/pipe system) than the strap system. With the strap design I also believe you would have more flexibility to make incremental adjustments. For instance you could raise the shackles on the back uprights a notch higher than the ones on the front, almost providing what would be a 1/2 height increment. The ease of shackle adjustment is one thing, how many times have you bounced the bar off the solid safety? Things get all squirrely. The straps will be more forgiving.

The true test will come once I receive them.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not sold on the safety strap spotting system. Granted I haven't used one, I've only viewed the Sorinex videos. However, I can't see any advantage to them over a swing in style safety. In fact, my thoughts are that I'd rather have saber style safeties.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My personal choice is the safety strap spotting system. I intended to purchase them right from from the beginning. I was bummed when Sorinex told me they hadn't qualified the straps for proper length on the Dark Horse. Emailed them last week and was told they were done! Placed order on the spot. If quick adjust was $150 and strap system was $275 I'd still go with the strap system.

The solid piece will always feel more awkward and harder to adjust (granted much easier than the pin/pipe system) than the strap system. With the strap design I also believe you would have more flexibility to make incremental adjustments. For instance you could raise the shackles on the back uprights a notch higher than the ones on the front, almost providing what would be a 1/2 height increment. The ease of shackle adjustment is one thing, how many times have you bounced the bar off the solid safety? Things get all squirrely. The straps will be more forgiving.

The true test will come once I receive them.
    i really like the safety strap system. i prefer it over my quick adjust safeties, because of the points you noted:
    - incremental height changes and even directional. for instance, if you wanted the bar to slide away vs towards you
    - much easier on your bar and there's no bounce when you tap the straps. this ends up keeping me in check for squats, since i can touch and go with the straps without any negative impact.

Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    I'm not sold on the safety strap spotting system. Granted I haven't used one, I've only viewed the Sorinex videos. However, I can't see any advantage to them over a swing in style safety. In fact, my thoughts are that I'd rather have saber style safeties.
    the swing style safeties can sometimes take a bit to line up. the biggest upshot to a swing style safety would be if it has holes running across it like the BaseCamp and XL series (or even Rogue, these days). with holes running across the sides, you now have a dip station, pulling stands, or maybe a band peg setup. the other upshot would be it's easier to remember what safety height you need. for straps, i rarely use them at the same height, so i'm shuffling them around for each exercise. i just use my warm-up sets to fine tune where i want them to be before the working sets.

kentclark8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm thinking about buying the DH for my home gym but the difficulty of moving the safeties and scraping metal dust concerns me since I will be constantly readjusting the safeties. Has anyone contacted Sorinex regarding this issue? I noticed in this thread that GI came across some other issues with his DH and Sorinex was able to fix them.

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kentclark8 View Post
    I'm thinking about buying the DH for my home gym but the difficulty of moving the safeties and scraping metal dust concerns me since I will be constantly readjusting the safeties. Has anyone contacted Sorinex regarding this issue? I noticed in this thread that GI came across some other issues with his DH and Sorinex was able to fix them.
    My powertec makes the same screeching noise, I think its common with heavy and long sabers since the entire length of the sabre has to pass the first post with friction due to weight and metal on metal.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

It's not necessarily a Sorinex issue, it's simply the result of the pin and pipe design. Some prefer that simple design and feel it's stronger, others prefer the quick adjust safety. I feel Sorinex should definitely offer an upgrade option at a reasonable price for the folks the prefer the quick adjust type. The safety strap system is now available for the DH, but is $275 (mine arrived today). The rack at $999 shipped to your door can't be beat. I doubt your going to find a rack that comes close. I love it and would buy it again. I'm sure black widow or edge fitness could custom make some solid safeties for cheap money if you really hate the solid pin design.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I really don't find they screech like my Powertec did, with that rack it was like dragging a knife across a plate at 100db.

There is some "dust" though that is shaved from the power coating on the pin. You could ask them not to powder coat the pin, which would solve this, but may create the knife on a plate screeching problem.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Posted this pic in the look what I bought post but its appropriate here as well. Just unboxed my new safety straps for the Sorinex Dark Horse. I decided to throw some color into my all black setup, add a little visual stimulation... Will install them soon. The other item in the pic is the landmine. Going to attach it to the 2x2 weight stack.

Last edited by StephanBB; 03-13-2013 at 08:52 PM.

One more quick pic on the DH. Ignore the Allen wrenches holding the straps to the shackles. Just wanted to see how it looks.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)

Talking

One more quick pic on the DH. Ignore the Allen wrenches holding the straps to the shackles. Just wanted to see how it looks.

Looks great! Much better than I thought it would. I was worried the strap would be longer.

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Looks great! Much better than I thought it would. I was worried the strap would be longer.
    So was I, but I agree, that looks great.

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

[IMG]http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o708/StephanBB/33924744-22F9-456C-AD15-C556DD84E5CD-7386-000004AD76352A68_zpsf918d422.jpg[IMG]
    Looks awesome! Thanks for posting. Repped.

I'd love to see a DH in a different colour or two toned. Wish they had pictures of their options.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by trimble006 View Post

I'd love to see a DH in a different colour or two toned. Wish they had pictures of their options.
    keep in mind, the only standard options are black, red, and blue.

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's not necessarily a Sorinex issue, it's simply the result of the pin and pipe design. Some prefer that simple design and feel it's stronger, others prefer the quick adjust safety. I feel Sorinex should definitely offer an upgrade option at a reasonable price for the folks the prefer the quick adjust type. The safety strap system is now available for the DH, but is $275 (mine arrived today). The rack at $999 shipped to your door can't be beat. I doubt your going to find a rack that comes close. I love it and would buy it again. I'm sure black widow or edge fitness could custom make some solid safeties for cheap money if you really hate the solid pin design.
    The lack of an option for quick adjust safeties is one of the biggest reasons I am leaning to a custom rack from Edge Fitness for my first setup. I hope Sorinex decides to make this option available. Either way, I am a huge fan of both companies, so it will all work out.

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    That turned out sick! I really like the red accent. Nice touch.

kentclark8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by trimble006 View Post

2nd. How well do they function?

leonve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    YES. $ame price! $275 is definitely on the high end. But hey, I've spent $275 and woke up in a pile of puke with no recollection of what happened!
    haha!

Nice review, I haven't really considered in investing in a home gym, but it seems like a good idea. Gym contracts work out A LOT in the long run. I wouldn't really know where to order something like this though - any advice on how I can research it?

Mark9946 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has anyone noticed the changes on the Sorinex web site. The Dark Horse has several more options available and the free shipping is gone. No more free shipping on the NP 0-90 bench either.

Originally Posted by Mark9946 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the changes on the Sorinex web site. The Dark Horse has several more options available and the free shipping is gone. No more free shipping on the NP 0-90 bench either.
    if u go to cart, the shipping is still $0

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mark9946 View Post
    True, these options sound really interesting....

Plastic Protection J-Cups [Add $35.00]

Batwing Chin Bar [Add $210.00]

Indexing Chin Bar [Add $275.00]

El Diablo Dip Bar [Add $120.00]

Square Spotter Bars [Add $299.00]

Band Pegs [Add $35.00]

Custom Color [Add $99.00]

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

Originally Posted by Accutron View Post
    True, these options sound really interesting....

Plastic Protection J-Cups [Add $35.00]

Batwing Chin Bar [Add $210.00]

Indexing Chin Bar [Add $275.00]

El Diablo Dip Bar [Add $120.00]

Square Spotter Bars [Add $299.00]

Band Pegs [Add $35.00]

Custom Color [Add $99.00]
    Hmm... I'd go J-cup upgrade and maybe an El Diablo. The batwing chin looks cool but is too much cake IMO. Interested to see the Square Spotters, I didn't think they had them yet. This is still the Rack until someone does it in a 2x2 for about $6-700 shipped. Then the games begin with the "Powertec" market. Who will be first?

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Hmm... I'd go J-cup upgrade and maybe an El Diablo. The batwing chin looks cool but is too much cake IMO. Interested to see the Square Spotters, I didn't think they had them yet. This is still the Rack until someone does it in a 2x2 for about $6-700 shipped. Then the games begin with the "Powertec" market. Who will be first?
    True. The square spotter sound nice, but too rich for my blood at 300USD.

The pics of the Index chin bar and the other accs are here: (but I cant find a pic of the bat wing bar...)
    http://store.sorinex.com/Base-Camp-A...ries-s/374.htm
    Index bar

Still the indexing bar looks nice. Reminds me of what HNMD had, I will try to find that pic, it was the nicest adj chin bar Ive ever seen...

Edit -
    Here is a pic the BaseCamp spotters - are they the same as the DarkHorse? I couldnt find the accessory page for DarkHorse so I took these from accs page of BaseCamp.

Larger view of the j-hooks...
    Last edited by Accutron; 03-15-2013 at 11:04 PM.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Accutron View Post

The pics of the Index chin bar and the other accs are here: (but I cant find a pic of the bat wing bar...)
    http://store.sorinex.com/Base-Camp-A...ries-s/374.htm
    Index bar

Still the indexing bar looks nice. Reminds me of what HNMD had, I will try to find that pic, it was the nicest adj chin bar Ive ever seen...
    Rae Crowther