niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do u think an athlete should splits or full body workout? (soccer player)

I can't progress in my current workout anymore so should I move to a 2-day split? or include advanced techniques such as:
    - drop sets
    - rest pause
    - forced reps
    - partial reps
    - burn sets
    - pyramids
    - 21's
    - speed reps

WHAT DO U THINK?

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What are your numbers? At 16 I'm not sure you need advanced techniques. Just do compound lifts on a good routine and start eating.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

Registered User wishitcouldlast's Avatar
    wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    What are your numbers? At 16 I'm not sure you need advanced techniques. Just do compound lifts on a good routine and start eating.
    Strong this.
    I know nothing factual but only tell the truth

niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    Originally Posted by wi****couldlast View Post
    Strong this.
    Height: 169 cm
    Weight: 59 kg
    Bench: 60 x 10
    Squat: complicated to do in my gym, and I never tried to do with an heavy weights
    Deadlift: 100 x 5
    Press: DB - 17-18 each hand, barbell - something like 7.5 on each side

In my current routine I can't progress anymore so what should I do?

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd run a hybrid bulgarian smolov periodization with alternate mesocycles for hypertrophy, with a strong emphasis on partial squats and forearm curls.

Stop Hating Start Lifting zakatak333's Avatar
    zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what i think? keep it simple with straight sets and linear progress(add 5 pounds per month to your working sets, you don't need to set a PR every week) imagine adding 60 pounds to your working sets of 5...that may translate to an increase of over 80 pounds for your max effort set of 1 rep!! that's pretty good progress even though it may seem slow

intensity techniques may help, but IMO you're better served going for consistent progress based on solid programming & reasonable increases in weight

you can do full body strength, 3x per week:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark70.htm

or push/pull split, 2x per week:

PUSH day: back squat 3x5, clean and press 3x5, bench press 3x5, skull crusher 3x5, front squat 1x20, sit up 1x20
    PULL day: deadlift 3x3, bent row 3x5, shrug 3x5, chin up 3x5, straight legged deadlift 1x20, lying leg curl 1x20

^^2x20 calf raises on both days would be helpful also

also include sprint/plyometric drills and juggling/shooting/soccer skill drills

and be sure to warm up before working sets...

cliffs: full body 3x week or MAYBE a push/pull split but definitely no 3 day bodybuilding splits
    The muscles i value most are the ones directly surrounding the spine, the hips, the scapula, the femur and the tibia... in that order.

Basically the whole body minus chest and biceps... pretty much the opposite of what your local gym looks like on a typical Monday.

gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100) gurunutrition is not very well liked. (-100)
    totally

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    I'd run a hybrid bulgarian smolov periodization with alternate mesocycles for hypertrophy, with a strong emphasis on partial squats and forearm curls.
    Sounds good.

Or, you know, eat more and rest more.

iDJustDoit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by niven5 View Post
    I can't progress in my current workout anymore so should I move to a 2-day split? or include advanced techniques such as:
    - drop sets
    - rest pause
    - forced reps
    - partial reps
    - burn sets
    - pyramids
    - 21's
    - speed reps

WHAT DO U THINK?
    Well I think you have a lot of knowledge here with all these replies and could help you a lot!! I am currently in my sophmore year in college playing soccer. The strengthening and conditioning coach focuses on strength and power! As you can see its very important. If it helps im going to try to lay out something similar to what we do. Keep in mind we deal with weights Mon, Wed, and Fridays only and in those days we do a full body workout that consists of 3 different stages. In each stage there is a leg workout, core work out, an upper body workout and a stretching of the muscle your targeting (leg muscle) for 30 seconds. Mon and Fri are similar days with Wednesday being slight different. We do 3 sets of each workout. These workouts consists of Cleans, Squats, SLDL, DB snatch, Pull ups, Kneeling overhead press, Wall slides, Cable chops, Planks, Single arm DB press etc.

Before all our workouts we warm up, foam roll/static stretch, plyometric work, then we follow the workouts. Also after the workout we add in continioning such as bike or treadmill interval training!

I hope this helps :-) !

Originally Posted by iDJustDoit View Post
    Well I think you have a lot of knowledge here with all these replies and could help you a lot!! I am currently in my sophmore year in college playing soccer. The strengthening and conditioning coach focuses on strength and power! As you can see its very important. If it helps im going to try to lay out something similar to what we do. Keep in mind we deal with weights Mon, Wed, and Fridays only and in those days we do a full body workout that consists of 3 different stages. In each stage there is a leg workout, core work out, an upper body workout and a stretching of the muscle your targeting (leg muscle) for 30 seconds. Mon and Fri are similar days with Wednesday being slight different. We do 3 sets of each workout. These workouts consists of Cleans, Squats, SLDL, DB snatch, Pull ups, Kneeling overhead press, Wall slides, Cable chops, Planks, Single arm DB press etc.

Before all our workouts we warm up, foam roll/static stretch, plyometric work, then we follow the workouts. Also after the workout we add in continioning such as bike or treadmill interval training!

I hope this helps :-) !
    And what about chest don't you work our chest?
    which plyometric exercises u do?
    how many reps you do per exercise in your weight training?
    Last edited by niven5; 12-23-2012 at 06:04 AM.

DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeathBySquats will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agreed on above posters, most of the work should be focused around compound lifts and gaining strength and form in those as those will lead to the biggest gains down the road. At 16 you'll see good gains just from sticking to compound lifts and eating right.

While compound lifts are a good basis for a program, some sport specific work should be added where seen fit as well. I'm not a soccer player but I imagine a program working around speed, explosivness, and agility would be key.
    Maxes-
    Deadlift- 565
    Squat- 395
    Bench- 300
    TOTAL- 1260

Road to 600 deadlift- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162508021&p=1257902661&posted=1#post1257902661

Originally Posted by DeathBySquats View Post
    Agreed on above posters, most of the work should be focused around compound lifts and gaining strength and form in those as those will lead to the biggest gains down the road. At 16 you'll see good gains just from sticking to compound lifts and eating right.

While compound lifts are a good basis for a program, some sport specific work should be added where seen fit as well. I'm not a soccer player but I imagine a program working around speed, explosivness, and agility would be key.
    what about flys? arms? any isolation work