VinumSabathi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How does this Workout routine look for BULKING UP? (Ectomorph)

Hey there,
    I am an extreme ectomorph (6'1 150 lbs) who has always had trouble putting on weight. Due to my current circumstances, I am going to be unemployed for the next few months. I figure it is an ideal time to make health my number one priority.

I want to begin running 20-30 minutes, everyday. Going from a completely sedentary lifestyle to running daily has been difficult so far, but it really shows how desperately I need to get into shape. I know cardio is not recommended for bulking up, but I really want to improve my cardiovascular health. I've always messed around in the gym, but this will be the first time I seriously commit to a strict regime

I am going to do weight training 4 days a week.

Monday: Chest & Triceps
    -Bench Press
    -Incline Bench Press
    -Dumbbell Flys
    -French Press
    -Tricep & Chest machines (don't know names)
    -Push ups
    -Pull ups

Tuesday: Back, Biceps & Abs
    -Bent Dumbbell row
    -Wide Grip Pull up
    -Back Machine (don't know name)
    -Standing barbell curl
    -Seated Dumbbell curl
    -Concentration curl
    -Ab Machine (don't know name)
    -Plank

Thursday: Quads & Hamstrings
    -Squat
    -Deadlift
    -Seated Calf raise
    -Standing Calf raise
    -Leg extension
    -Lunge

Friday: Shoulders & Forearms
    -Shoulder machine (don't know name)
    -Seated dumbbell press
    -Dumbbell lateral raise
    -Shrug
    -Military Press
    -Standing wrist curl
    -Barbell wrist curl

Like I said.. I will start every day off with the 20-30 minutes cardio (7 days a week, regardless of whether or not I weight train). I am doing high weight, low reps. 3 sets of each. Along with eating more, do you think this is a good workout routine for a slim guy trying to put on some mass?

Advice or suggestions?!

midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No, do a fb 3x a week, push/pull or upper/lower

VinumSabathi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by midcoastking33 View Post
    No, do a fb 3x a week, push/pull or upper/lower
    Fb? This is my first time on a workout blog, I don't know the terminology

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VinumSabathi View Post
    Fb? This is my first time on a workout blog, I don't know the terminology
    You are a total novice.

You know nothing about designing a program for building size and strength.

You don't need a split. But when you do, a simple upper/lower is easiest to program.

WHAT YOU DO NEED:

1. A beginner program, based on:

2. Big exercises like squat, bench, row, press, deadlift etc, with:

3. Poundage progression, ie adding weight to the bar regularly for those big exercises. You have not being doing that or you'd be a lot stronger. And you must:

4. Eat enough protein and calories to actually grow muscle. You have not being doing that or you'd be a lot bigger.

I suggest All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine for the next year(10 cycles) if possible. You keep doing it for as long as you can add around 10% to the weights for the big exercises every 5 week cycle.

When you are too strong progress on a beginner program, time to move to a program designed for guys beyond novice. At that stage, 5 3 1 is highly recommended.

Ectomorph = undereater who hasn't been lifting heavy enough for big exercises for the last few years.

I was 130lbs in school, college, and again in my forties(illness).
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey there,
    I am an extreme ectomorph (6'1 150 lbs) who has always had trouble putting on weight. Due to my current circumstances, I am going to be unemployed for the next few months. I figure it is an ideal time to make health my number one priority.
    That right there is great attitude, something I don't see in a lot of people around me. Make the most of this time & give it your best shot

As for your query regarding routine, jgreystoke's covered whatever you need to know to make a good start
    * Skinny to non skinny transformation crew * - I am gonna effin nail this

Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snow3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there,

I want to begin running 20-30 minutes, everyday. Going from a completely sedentary lifestyle to running daily has been difficult so far, but it really shows how desperately I need to get into shape. I know cardio is not recommended for bulking up, but I really want to improve my cardiovascular health. I've always messed around in the gym, but this will be the first time I seriously commit to a strict regime

I am going to do weight training 4 days a week.

Monday: Chest & Triceps
    -Bench Press
    -Incline Bench Press
    -Dumbbell Flys
    -French Press
    -Tricep & Chest machines (don't know names)
    -Push ups
    -Pull ups

Tuesday: Back, Biceps & Abs
    -Bent Dumbbell row
    -Wide Grip Pull up
    -Back Machine (don't know name)
    -Standing barbell curl
    -Seated Dumbbell curl
    -Concentration curl
    -Ab Machine (don't know name)
    -Plank

Thursday: Quads & Hamstrings
    -Squat
    -Deadlift
    -Seated Calf raise
    -Standing Calf raise
    -Leg extension
    -Lunge

Friday: Shoulders & Forearms
    -Shoulder machine (don't know name)
    -Seated dumbbell press
    -Dumbbell lateral raise
    -Shrug
    -Military Press
    -Standing wrist curl
    -Barbell wrist curl

Like I said.. I will start every day off with the 20-30 minutes cardio (7 days a week, regardless of whether or not I weight train). I am doing high weight, low reps. 3 sets of each. Along with eating more, do you think this is a good workout routine for a slim guy trying to put on some mass?

Advice or suggestions?!
    I know this is quite a late response but I feel it will help those who need the advice..

To completely honest, as an ectomorph.. I would NOT do cardio while bulking, let alone everyday before workouts.. If you want to know my own personal reasoning for this..

Secondly, I personally think you're over doing each muscle group. As an ecto, we can't take much strain on our little muscles for very long. This would mean do a max of ONE exercise of a max of 4 sets per muscle group. This means, for example, doing flyes, flat bench, incline bench and machine's on top of that would be a bit much. Rather do the above, without the machines.
    As for the random pullups on that day.. why are they there?