Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

VinumSabathi is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How does this Workout routine look for BULKING UP? (Ectomorph)

Hey there,
    I am an extreme ectomorph (6'1 150 lbs) who has always had trouble putting on weight. Due to my current circumstances, I am going to be unemployed for the next few months. I figure it is an ideal time to make health my number one priority.

I want to begin running 20-30 minutes, everyday. Going from a completely sedentary lifestyle to running daily has been difficult so far, but it really shows how desperately I need to get into shape. I know cardio is not recommended for bulking up, but I really want to improve my cardiovascular health. I've always messed around in the gym, but this will be the first time I seriously commit to a strict regime

I am going to do weight training 4 days a week.

Monday: Chest & Triceps
    -Bench Press
    -Incline Bench Press
    -Dumbbell Flys
    -French Press
    -Tricep & Chest machines (don't know names)
    -Push ups
    -Pull ups

Tuesday: Back, Biceps & Abs
    -Bent Dumbbell row
    -Wide Grip Pull up
    -Back Machine (don't know name)
    -Standing barbell curl
    -Seated Dumbbell curl
    -Concentration curl
    -Ab Machine (don't know name)
    -Plank

Thursday: Quads & Hamstrings
    -Squat
    -Deadlift
    -Seated Calf raise
    -Standing Calf raise
    -Leg extension
    -Lunge

Friday: Shoulders & Forearms
    -Shoulder machine (don't know name)
    -Seated dumbbell press
    -Dumbbell lateral raise
    -Shrug
    -Military Press
    -Standing wrist curl
    -Barbell wrist curl

Like I said.. I will start every day off with the 20-30 minutes cardio (7 days a week, regardless of whether or not I weight train). I am doing high weight, low reps. 3 sets of each. Along with eating more, do you think this is a good workout routine for a slim guy trying to put on some mass?

Advice or suggestions?!

100 years too early midcoastking33's Avatar
    Stats: 6'3", 189 lbs
    midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) midcoastking33 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit midcoastking33's BodySpace
    No, do a fb 3x a week, push/pull or upper/lower

VinumSabathi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by midcoastking33 View Post
    No, do a fb 3x a week, push/pull or upper/lower
    Fb? This is my first time on a workout blog, I don't know the terminology

Stats: 5'9", 215 lbs
    BodyPoints: 15762
    jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jgreystoke has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit jgreystoke's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by VinumSabathi View Post
    Fb? This is my first time on a workout blog, I don't know the terminology
    You are a total novice.

You know nothing about designing a program for building size and strength.

You don't need a split. But when you do, a simple upper/lower is easiest to program.

WHAT YOU DO NEED:

1. A beginner program, based on:

2. Big exercises like squat, bench, row, press, deadlift etc, with:

3. Poundage progression, ie adding weight to the bar regularly for those big exercises. You have not being doing that or you'd be a lot stronger. And you must:

4. Eat enough protein and calories to actually grow muscle. You have not being doing that or you'd be a lot bigger.

I suggest All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine for the next year(10 cycles) if possible. You keep doing it for as long as you can add around 10% to the weights for the big exercises every 5 week cycle.

When you are too strong progress on a beginner program, time to move to a program designed for guys beyond novice. At that stage, 5 3 1 is highly recommended.

Ectomorph = undereater who hasn't been lifting heavy enough for big exercises for the last few years.

I was 130lbs in school, college, and again in my forties(illness).
    Old Man Strength:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148519323&page=16

Novices:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-young-skinny-training-with-add-guy%E2%80%99s-guide-to-gaining-mass-and-strength/

Beyond novice:

Jim Wendler's 5 3 1(has bodybuilding templates)

Stats: 5'10", 174 lbs
    orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) orca23554 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit orca23554's BodySpace
    Hey there,
    I am an extreme ectomorph (6'1 150 lbs) who has always had trouble putting on weight. Due to my current circumstances, I am going to be unemployed for the next few months. I figure it is an ideal time to make health my number one priority.
    That right there is great attitude, something I don't see in a lot of people around me. Make the most of this time & give it your best shot

As for your query regarding routine, jgreystoke's covered whatever you need to know to make a good start
    * Skinny to non skinny transformation crew * - I am gonna effin nail this

Stats: 5'10", 171 lbs
    Snow3y is not very helpful. (-500) Snow3y is not very helpful. (-500) Snow3y is not very helpful. (-500) Snow3y is not very helpful. (-500) Snow3y is not very helpful. (-500)
    Visit Snow3y's BodySpace
    Hey there,

I want to begin running 20-30 minutes, everyday. Going from a completely sedentary lifestyle to running daily has been difficult so far, but it really shows how desperately I need to get into shape. I know cardio is not recommended for bulking up, but I really want to improve my cardiovascular health. I've always messed around in the gym, but this will be the first time I seriously commit to a strict regime

I am going to do weight training 4 days a week.

Monday: Chest & Triceps
    -Bench Press
    -Incline Bench Press
    -Dumbbell Flys
    -French Press
    -Tricep & Chest machines (don't know names)
    -Push ups
    -Pull ups

Tuesday: Back, Biceps & Abs
    -Bent Dumbbell row
    -Wide Grip Pull up
    -Back Machine (don't know name)
    -Standing barbell curl
    -Seated Dumbbell curl
    -Concentration curl
    -Ab Machine (don't know name)
    -Plank

Thursday: Quads & Hamstrings
    -Squat
    -Deadlift
    -Seated Calf raise
    -Standing Calf raise
    -Leg extension
    -Lunge

Friday: Shoulders & Forearms
    -Shoulder machine (don't know name)
    -Seated dumbbell press
    -Dumbbell lateral raise
    -Shrug
    -Military Press
    -Standing wrist curl
    -Barbell wrist curl

Like I said.. I will start every day off with the 20-30 minutes cardio (7 days a week, regardless of whether or not I weight train). I am doing high weight, low reps. 3 sets of each. Along with eating more, do you think this is a good workout routine for a slim guy trying to put on some mass?

Advice or suggestions?!
    I know this is quite a late response but I feel it will help those who need the advice..

To completely honest, as an ectomorph.. I would NOT do cardio while bulking, let alone everyday before workouts.. If you want to know my own personal reasoning for this..

Secondly, I personally think you're over doing each muscle group. As an ecto, we can't take much strain on our little muscles for very long. This would mean do a max of ONE exercise of a max of 4 sets per muscle group. This means, for example, doing flyes, flat bench, incline bench and machine's on top of that would be a bit much. Rather do the above, without the machines.
    As for the random pullups on that day.. why are they there?